RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How how do I find my tongue capacity?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  B+

> How how do I find my tongue capacity?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Sacerdote

St Augustine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/20 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2008 Holiday Rambler 235s and I have looked everywhere on the internet for the tongue capacity and cannot find it. I'm trying to determine whether I can hang a motorcycle on the hitch . the towing capacity is published but I do not find the tongue capacity and a motorcycle will be simply deadweight. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks very much

DaButcher

texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/20 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Jayco has a sticker on the hitch stating capacities.

2001 Jayco Eagle 286S Class C
93 Elkhorn 9vs T/C
2011 F250 6.7
NRA Life Member

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/20 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's the typical Class 3 hitch good for 5000 pounds towing it will be rated for 500 pounds on the hitch.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/20 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A motorcycle weighing?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/20 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look in the Owner's manual. It should show towing capacity along with weight. Depending on chassis, it would be more like 350-500 pound tongue weight.
Do not go by what is marked on the hitch. Many Class C rigs have a frame extension that is butt welded to factory frame.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Sacerdote

St Augustine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/17/20 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not in manual

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/20 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This shows towing capacity but no tongue weight. RV guide

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/20 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be VERY careful assuming that the towing capacity or tongue weight on stamped on the hitch reflects the correct numbers for your coach. Those numbers are for the hitch itself.

Particularly on coaches with a frame extension, those numbers are well higher than what your coach is rated for.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/20 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless your motorcycle is very small/light I cannot imagine being able to safely mount one on the rear bumper/hitch of a 23' Class C. For more informed responses give us the bike and weight data. A better alternative is a small motorcycle trailer like the folding Kendon's.

Chances are on a 23 footer there hasn't been much if any of an extension to the original chassis but the movement/lever action imposed by any weight that far back is considerable. Even putting a couple of bicycles or a small generator is typically problematic. Keep in mind that adding 3 or 400# that far back is going to seriously lighten the front axle and not in a good way.
Even adding a smallish {less than 300# bike} will require some substantial beefing up {serious welding} on the the hitch and chassis.

Seriously... look at small bike trailers for a workable solution. For the record I have 6.5 years and nearly 60K miles on our Nexus Phantom 23P and have been towing large motorcycles for 5 years. As noted a Kendon folding tailer is a great option, I used to have one but since moving up to a 6 X 10' cargo trailer I have found the best of both worlds.

[emoticon]

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/17/20 10:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weight of the mc you plan to carry ???

How does your MH ride, does the rear pound or is it a softer controlled spring rate ?

1. If this involves A 2008 unit from a MFG like HR that has been sold and taken over by another company ? How much liability do they now accept on a 12 year old rv regarding MC's being carried on it's frame and hitches.
That's what you need to find out from professional people that are looking out for your interests, otherwise you might end up holding the bag in the event of an accident.

2. If you are comfortable moving forward , you need to have a professional welder with DOT experience do a frame and hitch inspection for you telling him/her your intentions.

I would look into the way the carrier is built that you plan to buy.
Many are a 2x2 single tube.
The welders I know would rather use a double tube custom supported carrier in a 2.5 x 2.5" configuration.
** This all has to be matched to a 'stout MH frame that can support the weight' of a MC PLUS the CARRIER WEIGHT .

As you already know, a lot of frame and hitch stress is involved with hauling objects. Try lifting 350 lbs. Now jump up and down holding it, and that's a lightweight bike. [emoticon]

**The distance from the receiver to where the MC is actually sitting is a lot of stress on a single tube receiver regardless of what it's rated for.
I understand about bringing toys and not wanting to tow. You need to do it in a safe manner and you really need to get this right for your own liability. [emoticon]

Trailers ROCK ! [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  B+

> How how do I find my tongue capacity?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.