|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Trying to decide which way to go on fifth wheel hitch

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
RooDude09

Santa Rosa, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/20 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I are looking to switch to a fifth wheel from a bumper pull. I have a 2015 F-250 with short bed. The trailer we are looking at is equipped with a turning point pin box. I’ve seen and read some things on the internet that make me question the stability of system when towing and the blocking mechanism to keep the pin from turning in the hitch. I know my other option is to put in a sliding hitch and I’d be most comfortable with an automatic slider but that drives the price up substantially. My truck was previously outfitted with a rail system of some sort but everything is gone but the holes are in the bed. I’ve priced out the factory ford prep kit but it looks like puck style hitches are more expensive although I have the means to put it in myself as I’m a mechanic at a ford dealer. If anyone could give me they’re advice on what you like/use it would be greatly appreciated.

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/20 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a LOT of people on the Grand Design forums pulling the lighter rigs with the Turning Point pin boxes. I've not seen anyone post about having any issues with the Turning Point setup. It was designed just for people like you with short bed trucks. What kinds of problems have you been reading about?

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously 4 yrs, 9 mos full-time in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/20 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FYI, I know the Trailair turning point pinbox has a specific wedge for each brand of 5er hitch . I only know this from reading the install/maintenance manual as I am about to help a friend remove his off a GD to check it. It has a bind when turning to the drivers side that wasn't there when new.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/20 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RooDude09 wrote:

My wife and I are looking to switch to a fifth wheel from a bumper pull. I have a 2015 F-250 with short bed. The trailer we are looking at is equipped with a turning point pin box. I’ve seen and read some things on the internet that make me question the stability of system when towing and the blocking mechanism to keep the pin from turning in the hitch. I know my other option is to put in a sliding hitch and I’d be most comfortable with an automatic slider but that drives the price up substantially. My truck was previously outfitted with a rail system of some sort but everything is gone but the holes are in the bed. I’ve priced out the factory ford prep kit but it looks like puck style hitches are more expensive although I have the means to put it in myself as I’m a mechanic at a ford dealer. If anyone could give me they’re advice on what you like/use it would be greatly appreciated.

This thread is going to be fun, but if you already have the holes, bedrails ,and conventional hitch is a solid way to go. You will get to hear it all, but personally with your setup bedrails ,and a Andersen steel standard rail mount hitch would be ideal. Not sure if it would work with whatever that pin box you have ,but if it does it will eliminate the need for a slider, good way to go, I tow with a conventional slider hitch, and the Andersen with a short bed ,no issues either way. The Andersen route would be by far the most economical. If that pin box can be locked out ,the Andersen is the answer .

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/20 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If existing holes in bed are for standard rails, I'd just install same rails, and adjustable ahead/back, but non sliding hitch. IIRC, the rotating pin boxes are not recommended for single point attaching FW hitches.

Jerry

RooDude09

Santa Rosa, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read the wedge can loosen up. I see someone has said you have to have the correct wedge so maybe that was the problem. The other problem of the pivot point being behind the axle causing sway was in an advertisement for a slider hitch so not sure what to believe on that. Haven’t had a chance to talk to any real people yet about it I definitely want the extra clearance all the time so that if I need to make a tight turn) I don’t forget to look if the trailer is going to hit the truck.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/20 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RooDude09 wrote:

I definitely want the extra clearance all the time so that if I need to make a tight turn) I don’t forget to look if the trailer is going to hit the truck.

With most newer model FWs having rounded front corners, designed for towing with 6.5' bed trucks, this is not as big an issue as it used to be. Certainly when backing short, clearance can become an issue, if not paying attention, no different than backing any bumper pull. Backing into a tight space, taking it slow, getting out to look when needed, is best option, no matter the trailer type.

Your Ford axle center is about 41"s behind the cab. If hitch pin is 40"s from cab, and FW front rounded, clearance would be a non-issue, in all but severe cases, when common sense/awareness is more critical.

Jerry

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/20 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This thread doesn’t need to go real far.
OP: get a B & W turnover ball, install in bed. Ignore the holes for the old rail system. There’s no benefit in trying to reuse them, plus you’ll eventually hate the rails. Then get a B & W Companion or Andersen Ultimate. You don’t need a slider. You don’t need to use the articulating feature of the TP pin box. Lock it out, check the fasteners from time to time. And pay attention when making tight maneuvers. The TP pin box is designed for those short bed half ton trucks. There is absolutely no good reason at all to use the TP articulating aspect on 3/4 and 1 ton short beds with newer fifth wheels. Don’t be distracted otherwise.

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/20 07:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WTP-GC wrote:

This thread doesn’t need to go real far.
OP: get a B & W turnover ball, install in bed. Ignore the holes for the old rail system. There’s no benefit in trying to reuse them, plus you’ll eventually hate the rails. Then get a B & W Companion or Andersen Ultimate. You don’t need a slider. You don’t need to use the articulating feature of the TP pin box. Lock it out, check the fasteners from time to time. And pay attention when making tight maneuvers. The TP pin box is designed for those short bed half ton trucks. There is absolutely no good reason at all to use the TP articulating aspect on 3/4 and 1 ton short beds with newer fifth wheels. Don’t be distracted otherwise.

Oh!, come on , you'll eventually hate the rails, why. Had them for years ,and they were not an issue . I won't buy they get the road nonsense , sure they are there ,but pray tell what are they in the road of . What sliding in a sheet of plywood . Not hardly , you go in at an angle anyway ,and after the first sheet thats a done deal.

Granted if he had the puck system great, but apparently he doesn't so now you want him to blow another large hole in the bed [emoticon] . He already has the holes use them , with bedrails ,and a good hitch he is set ,and a strong four point attachment . No fan at all of gooseneck ball attached hitches , all the torquing ,and one point of attachment . Forget the Ultimate ,and go with the steel rail mount Andersen as said .

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/18/20 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally I have no use for a slider or a hitch like the turning point but if I thought I needed something my first preference would probably be using my B&W hitch with the Turning Point. Next I would look for a used auto slide. I wouldn't buy a manual slider of any make.... I would never use it.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Trying to decide which way to go on fifth wheel hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.