|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Spring Shakedown Trip cancelled

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/20 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sgfrye wrote:

north carolina state park campgrounds are closed till further notice. trails and restrooms are open

We were planning to visit a few of the NC parks in the coming months and have put that notion away for the time being.
We have a lot of reservations for summer and fall. Can only wait and see how that pans out.
Wasn’t planning on it with our travel plans, but gonna get started on a complete veggie garden.
Best laid plans of mice and men, and all that....
Here’s hoping everyone stays well.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

2oldman

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sgfrye wrote:

north carolina state park campgrounds are closed till further notice. trails and restrooms are open
I just got kicked out of a CA park. Only a few campers here, well away from each other, yet they're not allowing camping but keeping the restrooms open for day use. A lot of us snowbirds rely on these parks on our way home.

This doesn't make any sense to me.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

sgfrye wrote:

I just got kicked out of a CA park. Only a few campers here, well away from each other, yet they're not allowing camping but keeping the restrooms open for day use. A lot of us snowbirds rely on these parks on our way home.

That is a stupid application of very generic “policy”. They should be allowing every other or every third spot to stay occupied and wave the 14-day stay limit. That’s the very definition of sheltering in place.

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sgfrye wrote:

Michigan is leaving campgrounds open but closing restrooms, reservations, cabins and other similar structures. Basically if you're self contained you're good. They're even waving the state recreation pass (probably because there's nobody to enforce it). They are strongly suggesting online booking beforehand since walk-ups aren't allowed and cell service at campgrounds is iffy.

Ohio state campgrounds are open including cabins but the hotel style lodges are closed. I'd expect our restrooms and cabins to close soon as it's kinda insane to leave them open given all the other statewide closures.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

2oldman

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

Michigan is leaving campgrounds open but closing restrooms, reservations, cabins and other similar structures. Basically if you're self contained you're good.
Now that makes sense. California could take a lesson.

Do people really camp in MI in March?

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 11:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

afidel wrote:

Michigan is leaving campgrounds open but closing restrooms, reservations, cabins and other similar structures. Basically if you're self contained you're good.

Sure, it's going to be 70 tomorrow, though quickly diving into the 30s with an overnight low in the mid 20s Saturday into Sunday, gotta love early spring.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 11:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WA campgrounds are packed, apparently I'm not the only one who had the idear to go camping this weekend.
Figures, finally a few free weekends and state parks are full.
Never camped on the coast here, kids are obviously free, lol and I'm still working 60hrs a week. Thought packing up the familia, heading to the peninsula for some rain forest and waves was a good idea.
Oh well.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

afidel wrote:

Not many, since most campgrounds are either closed, or open with only limited amenities, bathhouses and dump stations closed, most sites unplowed, etc. I fully expect that once the actual camping season arrives, the parks will be closed.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/20 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

frisbeekev wrote:

afidel wrote:

I'm taking my rig out of storage a month early to use as a home office/study area. It's going to cost me ~$60 to heat for the month, but that's cheap for the sanity it will preserve.

Could you write off the $60 on your taxes as a "Business Expense: since it is for work? Just kidding. Sounds like a good plan and way to use the rig at these times

Of course you can. 100%, seriously, if that's wha thoug using it for.

Still dont understand why it's cancelled. You mean your afraid to leave your driveway, or your destination is closed and you can't/won't adjust your plans?

bob_nestor

murphy

View Profile

Posted: 03/21/20 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

sgfrye wrote:

Yes, seems bassackwards - even parks where the spots are close together provide the suggested social separation. But worse yet, is leaving the restrooms open. One of the ways the virus is transmitted is thru fecal material and without aggressive daily (or hourly) cleaning of the restrooms they're just big stinky petri dishes for this virus.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Spring Shakedown Trip cancelled
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.