RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What size of fifth wheel to accomidate my 3/4 truck...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What size of fifth wheel to accomidate my 3/4 truck...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

With a FW, staying within axle rating/tire rating is most important. Your truck will work with that FW. Worst case, you may need to add a little support to rear suspension, to level the truck. Don't use the 10K GVWR, and low payload door sticker, as the determining capability of your truck. Those numbers are just due to the truck being in the class 2 rating for registration.

Jerry
Are willing to pay all his ticket for him in British Columbia if he follows your advice?

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/20 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ProbablyOverloaded wrote:

Oddly enough my door sticker does not indicate my max payload for the truck. And there is conflicting numbers about the "payload capacity" online and given weights from the dealer directly.

I'm guessing the newer model trucks are quite more capable but restricted as jerry mentioned.

But I did read somewhere that potentially gvwr is a factor in authorities deeming being overloaded. Maybe someone can comment on that.

The truck max towing trailer weight is spec'd just above 19000 lbs.

If there's not a payload sticker on the door pillar, then call RAM with your VIN and ask for a replacement. Basically, it's the max weights for that specific truck, based on options. IMO, since the rear axle is almost certainly the same as a 1t, with only springs and brakes differing, if you're over on the RARW, but under on your tires, you should be golden. Now, since you're in BC, I've heard that LEO up there sort of makes stuff up as they go. [emoticon]

Lyle

* This post was edited 03/20/20 09:58am by laknox *

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oddly enough my door sticker does not indicate my max payload for the truck. And there is conflicting numbers about the "payload capacity" online and given weights from the dealer directly.

I'm guessing the newer model trucks are quite more capable but restricted as jerry mentioned.

But I did read somewhere that potentially gvwr is a factor in authorities deeming being overloaded. Maybe someone can comment on that.

Towing weight rating does NOT apply to a 5er so just forget that!!!

Legally all that matters is you don't overload the tires.

License the truck for the next tonn above it's actual loaded weight.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at ICBC website for regulations around GVWR and GCWR.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only question to ask is "What trailer do you really want dear."

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at BC motor vehicle transport act regs on weighing of vehicles says quote; (snipped for length)
**(4) The gross weight of any vehicle or combination of vehicles shall be the sum of the individual gross axle weights of all the axles of the vehicle or combination of vehicles.**

We also know from other members from BC say that their trucks have to have a "GVWR" for registration which can be the truck mfg GVWR or the sum of the GAWRs as the trucks registered GVWR.

I have a '03 2500 Dodge/Cummins NV5600 tranny 3.73 gears QC short bed 6000 RAWR and pull a 11400 gross weight 5th wheel trailer. The truck has a 13250 lb tow rating.
I also pull a 16k GN triaxle (non rv) trailer that can be loaded so I don't exceed the trucks 6000 RAWR. Both trailers pull like a dream. The loaded triaxle (7k axles) actually panic stop quicker than the 5th wheel rv tandem axle (5200 lb axles) trailer. I'm under all the trucks GAWRs. My state has no weights for registration on a non commercial vehicle.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/20 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Towing weight rating does NOT apply to a 5er so just forget that!!!

Legally all that matters is you don't overload the tires.

License the truck for the next tonn above it's actual loaded weight.

This^^^^some states and maybe provinces require buying extra tonnage if loading over the class the truck is registered for. You can likely buy more rating than the truck is capable of.

Lol, as to poster asking if I'd pay OPs fines. I have helped a number of extended family members, and a few close friends, with many thousands of dollars of fines, lawsuits, judgments, bad checks, etc, to help get them back on track. I do draw the line, not to post my info on the forum though, but would be interesting to read the PMs!![emoticon]

Jerry

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never mind, found the answer.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 02:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you honestly run near empty, it looks OK...but how are you living in it but have nearly no gear in it?

I'm not positive but I thought the newer dodge trucks has completely different rear suspension between the 3/4 and 1 ton SRW. Older trucks, it was often just the spring pack...so I wouldn't count on it being a 1 ton in disguise.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because you already have the truck I think not having a payload sticker is a plus. I would recommend not exceeding your rear axle weight rating by too much. Try to keep your pin weight under 3000 lbs. You also need to keep in mind that the closer to 3k lbs you have your pin weight at the nicer the 5ver will pull.... a light pin adversely affects handling.

BC is the only jurisdiction that I'm aware of that actually has a law that states if you are over weight your gross vehicle weight will be used as the number you can't exceed. The way it plays out is that if a LEO sees your headlights pointing to the moon and figures you look overloaded he can scale you and if you're found to be over any of your gvwr numbers you are overloaded. So because you are in BC you are at a higher risk of having weight issues.

Click

* This post was last edited 03/20/20 07:30am by 4x4ord *   View edit history

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What size of fifth wheel to accomidate my 3/4 truck...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.