RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What size of fifth wheel to accomidate my 3/4 truck...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What size of fifth wheel to accomidate my 3/4 truck...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
alboy

Kelowna B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ICBC INS CORP could give you a lot of trouble if you exceed your GVWR AND ARE INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT.You are held to that number,no exceptions,been there.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So If I were a resident of BC with my 14k DRW that has a SAE rated RAWR of 9,750# and I loaded it to that and didn't add a single pound to my front axle weight of 5,250# bringing my actual loaded weight to 15k what would happen???

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember it all boils down to ....they make little trucks for little trailer and big trucks for big trailers. Get a trailer that falls within the manufacturers weight limits.

Ignore the folks that tell you I pull a bigger trailer with my little truck and they cannot give you any weights on the truck and trailer.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TXiceman wrote:

Remember it all boils down to ....they make little trucks for little trailer and big trucks for big trailers. Get a trailer that falls within the manufacturers weight limits.

Ignore the folks that tell you I pull a bigger trailer with my little truck and they cannot give you any weights on the truck and trailer.

Ken

x2

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

So If I were a resident of BC with my 14k DRW that has a SAE rated RAWR of 9,750# and I loaded it to that and didn't add a single pound to my front axle weight of 5,250# bringing my actual loaded weight to 15k what would happen???

Nothing. You'd never be pulled over and weighed because your headlights are not pointing to the moon.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Nothing. You'd never be pulled over and weighed because your headlights are not pointing to the moon.

My point is how can one be fined when the actual SAE ratings are NOT being exceeded!

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Nothing according to IBC motor vehicle act if you had 15k GVWR registration;
Maximum gross weight for axles
**7.16 (1) A person must not, without an overload permit, drive or operate on a highway a vehicle loaded or configured so that

(a) the gross weight on an axle exceeds the manufacturer's rated capacity for that axle or for the brake or suspension system with which the axle is equipped, ...**

And of course we know in BC you may register your truck at a GVWR which can be the sum of the vehicle mfg axle ratings or the vehicle mfg GVWR.

Most rv folks are assuming BC GVWR registration has to be the door sticker GVWR number.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you were grossly over weight such that it was obvious that your frame was sitting on your axle bumpers BC law could weigh you and use the trucks gvwr number to validate their claim that you are over weight. It will never come into play with someone who is weighted to within their axle ratings.

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This:
19.11 (1)Unless operating under the provisions of an overload permit issued under the Commercial Transport Act, no person shall operate or cause to be operated a vehicle that is loaded in such a manner that the gross weight carried by any axle exceeds the gross weight rating for that axle as specified by the vehicle manufacturer, or the gross vehicle weight exceeds the gross vehicle weight rating for that vehicle as specified by the vehicle manufacturer.

(2)The weight distribution of a bus shall be such that not less than 25 per cent of the gross vehicle weight is on the front axle when measured on level ground.

(3)Subsection (1) does not apply to a vehicle

(a)manufactured before January 1, 2001, and

(b)having a gross vehicle weight rating of 5 500 kg or less.

clicky

* This post was edited 03/20/20 02:07pm by bid_time *

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/20 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Nothing according to IBC motor vehicle act if you had 15k GVWR registration;
Maximum gross weight for axles
**7.16 (1) A person must not, without an overload permit, drive or operate on a highway a vehicle loaded or configured so that

(a) the gross weight on an axle exceeds the manufacturer's rated capacity for that axle or for the brake or suspension system with which the axle is equipped, ...**

And of course we know in BC you may register your truck at a GVWR which can be the sum of the vehicle mfg axle ratings or the vehicle mfg GVWR.

Most rv folks are assuming BC GVWR registration has to be the door sticker GVWR number.

You might be right but what you're saying doesn't seem logical to me.... obviously things don't have to be logical to be legal. In Alberta we can register our vehicle for whatever number we tell them at the registries office. We can't exceed our registered weight but if we are registered for 100,000 lbs and our axle ratings are only good for 10,000 ..... The 100,000 lb registration number doesn't mean much. Conversely, if we are registered for 10,000 lbs and our allowable axle limit is 100,000 lbs the allowable axle rating doesn't buy us anything.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> What size of fifth wheel to accomidate my 3/4 truck...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.