|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Senior Citizens Speak Up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kennyg wrote:

Good grief, if you can afford an RV, you can afford a private RV park rate.

That's not true at all. How do you know all they could afford is a $5,000 used trailer? Just because you own an RV doesn't mean you are made of money.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Lwiddis

West & above Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/20 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Believe the state of TX has BLM land available.”

Very little BLM land. Easy to look up. See https://www.blm.gov/locations

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kennyg wrote:

Believe the state of TX has BLM land available. Would assume you could move your RV to those sites. Plus most if not all states and federal parks limit stays to two weeks. So, when your two weeks are up where do you plan to go? The ballot box comment makes no sense. Stop thinking of only yourself but rather the good of the rv population as a whole. Good grief, if you can afford an RV, you can afford a private RV park rate.

The only vehicle accessible remote campsites available on federal land are some in Big Bend National Park, and a bit in parts of the national forests. Even the 'dispersed camping' is in limited sites. Most are for tent camping only.

BLM also limits occupancy of a specific site anywhere to 14 days in most cases, though a few locations in very few states are 'Longterm Access Areas',

As I noted in the COE thread in the RV Parks section, I've seen some delayed openings for COE campgrounds within the Fort Worth District, and on Lake Texoma on the Texas/ Oklahoma border.

Received two refunds for reservations now not being honored in the past couple days.

It appears that by early to mid-May, all campgrounds will be available. IF things go as currently expected.

At this time in Texas, it appears there are sufficient spaces and availability to move from one COE campground to another, though choices may be limited during the delayed opening of many of the seasonal campgrounds.

Of course, if a person is familiar with Texas COE campgrounds, they know that several still have some sites and facilities unavailable due to un-repaired damage due to flooding in recent years.

Last year a very popular year round campground near Dallas was closed for seven months because the COE was unable to find campground hosts willing to accept the maximum rates the COE was paying for 17 hour days.

As a full-time RVer in Texas much of the year, I've been able to adjust my plans and reservations so that I have no openings in my schedule until late June,

Not really trying to fill past that. Waiting for my first great granddaughter. After that, we will get back on the road.

There is no need to panic. Spaces can be found. Maybe not exactly where I want to be.

Regarding the OP, I've already sent e-mails to my congressman and both senators, expressing displeasure with the current 'emergency', along with many other things.

After all, this is an election year and I'm entitled to speak my mind to them. Especially those who want my vote to stay another few years in Washington.

There is never anything wrong with letting your government know your opinion, on any subject.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

As of yesterday the COE had not shut down campgrounds. Truth be told there is no reason to do this... Sites are generally far enough apart to be "Socially distant" you can wave but you got to get out and walk some to shake hands.

Unfortunately not true. Got an email yesterday that my reservation for a COE has been canceled and my deposit refunded since they will be closed. Others on here have reported similar last 2-3 days about other COE parks.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/20 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry that you are getting snarky remarks here. Nothing new, this is a site populated by not a few grumpy hateful people.

I am with you. I'm writing my pro-environment group, my state, city, county park departments. And NPS.

Government agencies are keeping their personnel lock down and homebound. They could have left the campgrounds open for self-management. Unfortunately, we (or some) public land users have destroyed that trust when these parks were trashed during the last shutdown and as a state park ranger told me, many times in the past.

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am a widow, living on a fixed income. I use a couple of different clubs to save money on camping fees. My travel trailer is my full-time home and I don't have the income to pay the high fees the campgrounds are asking. I cannot afford a condo or regular house. I am with Johno02.

1968mooney

Fl.

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does this mean selling your stick home and going on the road is, maybe not the best move? [emoticon]

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

Regarding the OP, I've already sent e-mails to my congressman and both senators, expressing displeasure with the current 'emergency', along with many other things.

After all, this is an election year and I'm entitled to speak my mind to them. Especially those who want my vote to stay another few years in Washington.

There is never anything wrong with letting your government know your opinion, on any subject.

That's what I'm talking about. If enough of us show an interest in keeping the parks open for camping they may listen. They like getting re-elected. As for Florida closing their state parks it seems to me that if they are going to keep them open for day use (that's what they said) then it's no extra risk to keep them open for overnight campers, in my opinion. They could put a little more money against their budget by letting us camp. At Mississippi they said if you are self-contained (like most RVs) then you can camp. Wow, what a concept.

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/19/20 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The plot thickens. The governor of California just issued an order that all Californians must stay home. What if you don't have a home? Or what if your home has wheels? Can you role over to a free state?

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/19/20 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

The plot thickens. The governor of California just issued an order that all Californians must stay home. What if you don't have a home? Or what if your home has wheels? Can you role over to a free state?

If I lived in California and my home had wheels, I woulda been long gone before now.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Senior Citizens Speak Up
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.