RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Senior Citizens Speak Up

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Senior Citizens Speak Up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/24/20 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1duckie4u wrote:

pnichols wrote:

Hmmm ... as usual a lot of CA-bashing going on here ... or is it sour grapes talking!

My DW is a CA native, and I left Michigan at age 19, moved to CA, and never looked back. Thanks to good old Prop 13, our CA property taxes are way lower than what they would be otherwise and way lower than what they would be in many other "better" states (based on tax comments that I read in these forums). In our situation we pay no (as in zero) state income taxes. We have no mosquitoes. Our average humidity never gets anywhere near 80% or higher, and our mild temperatures are legendary. And, FWIW, in our particular situation none of our stick house power or RV storage power comes from burning anything.

California Prop 13 type laws should be passed in every state, IMHO, so that folks could stay in their stick houses long term if they just happened to want to, and be able to, otherwise. Regarding SS - ours and everybody else's does indeed get adjusted upwards any year whenever a certain inflation index dictates - so it's not "fixed".

As for using a Recreational Vehicle for full-time living in, I'm not sure I'm a fan of using national tax or state tax park dollars to support this. What I do support is use of tax dollars to set aside special areas where folks could full-time live at using RVs (areas kept and maintained much, much better than the Slabs) ... such that maybe true recreational part-time RV'ers could find a spot when they are able to break free and take their RV out for a few days here and there.


x2 - I think it's envy disguised as disgust.


I remember the story of a hiking friend.

He was in Toulomne fly fishing when a hot woman approached him and engaged him in a talk opening up on how lovely the place is. She asked where he lives and told her he is a Californian and lives 5 hours drive down South. She said she is from a Southern state and added there is nothing like this down there and that he is lucky to be living in California.

Well long story short, he wants to say bye as he is chasing the fish downstream but she won't let go. He must be joking but he said that he got the impression that she would have left her two kids right then and there had he propositioned that he'll take her with him, LOL.[emoticon]

DallasSteve

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 05/28/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 03/24/20 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:


I remember the story of a hiking friend.

He was in Toulomne fly fishing when a hot woman approached him and engaged him in a talk opening up on how lovely the place is. She asked where he lives and told her he is a Californian and lives 5 hours drive down South. She said she is from a Southern state and added there is nothing like this down there and that he is lucky to be living in California.

Well long story short, he wants to say bye as he is chasing the fish downstream but she won't let go. He must be joking but he said that he got the impression that she would have left her two kids right then and there had he propositioned that he'll take her with him, LOL.[emoticon]

Color me skeptical. I find that the fish are always bigger and the women are always "hotter" when the story gets retold.





Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/24/20 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:


I remember the story of a hiking friend.

He was in Toulomne fly fishing when a hot woman approached him and engaged him in a talk opening up on how lovely the place is. She asked where he lives and told her he is a Californian and lives 5 hours drive down South. She said she is from a Southern state and added there is nothing like this down there and that he is lucky to be living in California.

Well long story short, he wants to say bye as he is chasing the fish downstream but she won't let go. He must be joking but he said that he got the impression that she would have left her two kids right then and there had he propositioned that he'll take her with him, LOL.[emoticon]

Color me skeptical. I find that the fish are always bigger and the women are always "hotter" when the story gets retold.


You may actually know the woman, she is from Texas.[emoticon]

And I deliberately did not name the state because I might offend you, LOL [emoticon]

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/24/20 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When approached by a hot woman, a Covid-19 test is recommended.


2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver


Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/07/2004

View Profile



Posted: 03/24/20 02:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

When approached by a hot woman, a Covid-19 test is recommended.


ROFL!!!!! This wins the internet today!!!

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

Senior Member

Joined: 11/27/2005

View Profile



Posted: 03/24/20 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

bpounds wrote:

When approached by a hot woman, a Covid-19 test is recommended.


ROFL!!!!! This wins the internet today!!!


Humph... Better go with full blood work up instead.

“ Girls you used to know, fellas that may have kissed'em
Some got rabies, some got fleas, some got incurable diseases
From this Cockamamie Business” —G Harrison

[emoticon][emoticon]


2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450


Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/24/20 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

When approached by a hot woman, a Covid-19 test is recommended.


Pre-Covid 19 but bravo![emoticon]

doxiemom11

Yoakum Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 01/09/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/25/20 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

doxiemom11 wrote:

We find many private parks that have rates less than a state parks. Never use state parks. Instead we go for monthly rates, corp of engineer parks, use passport america, city and county parks. We have been full-time 9 years and our average overnight cost is $9.62 night. We have a seaonally rented site at a county campground with full-hookups for $1,500 from May 1 to Oct 1. Those type of things keep our cost down tremendously. We occasionally stay at a Walmart, but no more than 5-6 nights in a year and don't boondock.


Which part of the country is this?

Out West you'll be lucky to get a campsite at $25 a night -- no hookups.


doxiemom11

Yoakum Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 01/09/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/25/20 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam - couldn't get this to quote your part, or delete once it was wrong - but. We spent 2 yrs in the desert. Paid $150 first time special per month in Yuma, $250 month in Why AZ, $150 mo + elect in New Mexico, $200 mo + elec in Rockport Tx and currently in a park paying $312 mo which includes electric. If you look, there are lower cost parks available -- except in high tourist attraction areas which we avoid. When traveling we use Passport America a lot, and many campgrounds/rv parks are $25 or less per night.

jrobert01

tennessee

Full Member

Joined: 03/11/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 03/25/20 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

“Especially those of us on fixed income, with no hope of annual raises.”

Your Social Security isn’t fixed. Go back to work if you are in “dire straights.”
What an ass

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Senior Citizens Speak Up
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.