|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Solar Charge Controller question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Twistedlarch

Cottage Grove, OR.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/24/20 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for your input/suggestions! I decided to go with the Grape Solar COMET 12/24-Volt 40 Amp Solar Charge Controller. I want to keep things simple and inexpensive. (2) 100 watt panels is all the space I have on my 17' roof, and should provide plenty of power to my little trailer.

Last Summer I ran just fine on the Harbor Freight 100 watt Thunderbolt system. Since then I've upgraded from dual group 23's to dual 6 volts, therefor needing to upgrade my solar setup.

I ran my heat and lights for about 18 hours bringing my batteries down to 81%. One 100 watt panel had them back up to 100% in just under 3 hrs with the most intense sun hitting it in the last hour.

Again, thanks for all your help! Now I just need to figure out the best way to mount them to my roof [emoticon]
Brian

babock

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Epever is probably ok but the Victrons are great. Definitely get an MPPT controller. Depending on the panel specs, you can get 20% to 30% more yield.

In the case of the OP's panels, he would get a 22% increase.

EDIT: Just saw you made your choice.

LtDanwy

Wyoming

View Profile

Posted: 04/03/20 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Renogy Wanderer MPPT on my trailer and it has worked wonderfully with my system.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

while PWM may be a cheeper unit, walk right buy it. in ideal conditions a PWM wont have much less output than a MPPT , but we dont camp in ideal conditions, we dont aim our pannels most of the time, we try to park under trees which will cast shadows over parts of your pannels, this is where a MPPT controler shines and makes a large difference in your output to your batteries. I have 480 watts of pannels on my 5th wheel and I am going to upgrade it to a MPPT controler. does the other one work, yup but I notice the differences a bit of shading can make on the output from one area to another. I am also putting a 355 watt system on my truck camper I just got. That is being set up with a MPPT right from the start. they may cost an extra 50 bucks but its worth it.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

babock

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Posted: 04/04/20 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

while PWM may be a cheeper unit, walk right buy it. in ideal conditions a PWM wont have much less output than a MPPTe
Totally disagree with that statement. If you have a 100W 20V panel @ 5A, you will get 5A under ideal conditions with a PWM and 7A with an MPPT. That'a huge difference.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Solar Charge Controller question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.