|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> trailer lift kit

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Road Phantom

pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/20 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm interested in the 30 ft 1/2 ton tow-able 5th wheel from Grand Design's Reflection brand. Problem is the trailer sits too low for my standard 2019 Ram 2500 4x4 short bed truck. MORryde has a suspension kit (SRE 4000) that I believe raises the axles two inches. Larger rims would raise it up an additional inch, giving me a total of three inches which might be enough without compromising the overhang with the bed rails.
Anyone have the same problem and how did you resolve it? Thanks.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many people raise their campers by "flipping the axles" to get the height they need. I've considered doing it myself but my trailer is high enough as it is. I did lower my pickup a little bit and that helped kinda split the baby and I left it alone after that.

I think you should be much more concerned that the manufacturer's claims of "1/2 ton tow-able" are nonsense and that you likely lack sufficient payload to pull any 5th wheel that big with your truck, especially if it has a 4 door cab, 4wd, and you plan on having passengers in the cab with you.

Larger rims are not going to raise the trailer at all unless they are combined with taller tires. Taller tires will likely not fit because the axle spacing is such that the taller tires will be too close to each other and could even touch when the suspension cycles. If taller tires were the solution, people wouldn't be making drastic suspension modifications to get the height they need.

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/20 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grand Design generally builds a quality trailer and quality means heavy, or at least heavier than a cheaply built trailer of the same size.

Do NOT believe any truck sales person who says "You can pull that with this truck." They are "misinformed". Second only to trailer sales person who says "You can pull this with your current truck."

You know the GEICO commercial where the speaker's nose keeps growing?? That is what the sales people look like by the end of the day!

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much room are you looking to gain?

Look under the trailer at the axles. If it has leaf springs and they are under the axle then you can add a kit to put the springs on top. This will gain you about 6 inches (the thickness of the axle plus the thickness of the spring pack) Dexter makes a kit for this.
Link to kit

Do remember that any other lift methods have to be divided in half. A tire that is one inch taller only lifts the trailer by 1/2 inch. It's the same with a longer shackle. A 1 inch longer shackle on one end of the spring pack adds only 1/2 inch to the ride height.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces has the ticket you are searching for.

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

I think you should be much more concerned that the manufacturer's claims of "1/2 ton tow-able" are nonsense and that you likely lack sufficient payload to pull any 5th wheel that big with your truck, especially if it has a 4 door cab, 4wd, and you plan on having passengers in the cab with.

He’s not towing it with a half ton, just looking at “ half ton towable” models. OP has a Ram 2500 which is plenty of truck.

'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Retired JSO

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve seen a few newer 2500 Rams towing “Lite” fifthwheels with out any problems. The least heavy reflection has almost 1500 lb pin weight dry translating close to if not over 2,000. I think you will find it squatS your Ram an inch or two. I believe your only worry might be bed clearance.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/20 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Road Phantom wrote:

I'm interested in the 30 ft 1/2 ton tow-able 5th wheel from Grand Design's Reflection brand. Problem is the trailer sits too low for my standard 2019 Ram 2500 4x4 short bed truck. MORryde has a suspension kit (SRE 4000) that I believe raises the axles two inches. Larger rims would raise it up an additional inch, giving me a total of three inches which might be enough without compromising the overhang with the bed rails.
Anyone have the same problem and how did you resolve it? Thanks.

Check to see if you have spacers in your truck's suspension. If so, they can be removed to lower your truck. Might have to do the front axle, too.

While doing an axle flip is the easiest, it's been a long time since I've seen a FW that didn't leave the factory with the axles under the springs.

One thing not mentioned, is to be sure that the spring hangers are in the lowest holes, if you have them and they're not already done.

A Correct Track alignment system will give you 2" of lift, provided you can find one. I've heard they've been discontinued, though they were still listed on LCI's web site as of a month ago, or so.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The MorRyde SRE4000 with the X-Factor brace is a good set up, or what I did was the Correct Track, and the X-Factor brace on the center hanger.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camp-n-family wrote:

twodownzero wrote:

I think you should be much more concerned that the manufacturer's claims of "1/2 ton tow-able" are nonsense and that you likely lack sufficient payload to pull any 5th wheel that big with your truck, especially if it has a 4 door cab, 4wd, and you plan on having passengers in the cab with.

He’s not towing it with a half ton, just looking at “ half ton towable” models. OP has a Ram 2500 which is plenty of truck.

I looked up the published weights on their website, and my common sense determined that to be a lie.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> trailer lift kit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.