RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Any hints about why my tire leaking?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Any hints about why my tire leaking?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/20 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several years ago we had all four new tires on our F150 go bang, at different times. China junk valve stems. The Dealer and Distributor replaced all four tires. There are probably still some china junk valve stems without UV protection still around.. Second you may have damaged the valve core with a defective plastic valve stem cap. We had a leak on left front on the MH. It was the valve stem being loose. The good stainless caps used on large tire high pressure tires on Mhs and Trucks kept the pressure in,until the pressure was checked and apparently didn't reseal as good.
We had a different problem with our Fifth Wheel tire stems, rubber with brass tube inside someone stepped on and bent/broke them inside and they all leaked.
We replaced them with bolt on or in short stainless valve stems and caps. I would recommend the short stainless valve stems and caps if they will work or a slightly longer one if necessary.

* This post was edited 03/22/20 06:21pm by down home *

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would install new metal valve stems in all four tires.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You twisted the stem where it enters the rim when you cranked down on the valve cap. real simple. Take it and have a new stem put in. I got rid of all those cheap azzed import fake rubber valve stems years ago. They all take a puke eventually, some sooner some later but they all fail.

Get yourself some screw down metal racing stems. One time replacement. Last forever.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/20 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Metal valve stems aren't even remotely required, although they may be personally preferable, they are not foolproof either.
Even 8 lug trucks come with rubber valve stems these days.

How old are the tires and valve stems? Likely didn't catch the bad valve stem with your soap test.

Another option, if you're in a hurry and don't want to bust the tire off the rim is replace the bad valve stem with a Colby valve. Can get em next day Amazon prime and some good auto parts stores carry them. Very handy. I have one with my on the road tools.
They are a compression fitting valve stem and very robust.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 04:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WHOAH WATCH OUT THERE.

you are describing the way my stems on my flat bed acted when they got rotten. I would grab that stem and twist it around some (with my fingers of course) and see if it starts hissing where it comes through the rim. put some soap solution there also.

If that stem is rotten, I would suggest that the other ones are ready to expire also. [emoticon]

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/20 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes, the plastic caps just keep dirt out, and do nothing to hold air in. as suggested you probably moved the old dry rot valve. Those need replacing every few years anyway. Usually when you get new tires.
There are metal caps with rubber washers that do hold air in so adds another barrier to a leak.

There is a product I have used for tire leaks (not valve leaks) that creates an airtight seal from the inside. Monster Energy Drink desert racers are sponsored by it and swear to it. It works in my lawnmower tire too and has held a leaky tire up for two years so far.
Truckerco is the product. Unlike Slime that kind-of works at lower psi, this is a latex product that bonds to the tire, will fill in holes or leaks and has done wonders for me and works at 80psi in my truck.
I have seen it on ebay, straight from the company in NV, but Amazon probably not shipping bc of virus right now (Amz only shipping essentials).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Any hints about why my tire leaking?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.