RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: 2019–20 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

 > 2019–20 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 116  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BCSnob

Middletown, MD

Senior Member

Joined: 02/23/2002

View Profile



Posted: 04/26/20 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s unlikely there is one single cause for the differing death rates; I offered one possible contributor. Another one is the reported mutation of the virus as it has spread across the world; mutations can alter how severe the resulting infection will be.

Phylogenetic network analysis of SARS-CoV-2 genomes

justme

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/27/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/26/20 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

and here is another cause for the death rate. I don't know if this doctor is any more or less credible than the CDC, but it is worth considering until proven otherwise. Effective QC organizations have inspectors to assure the data is correct, but I don't believe the CDC has that level of inspection and assurance. They offer guidelines but are voluntary and it is up to the integrity of those who follow them.

https://www.globalresearch.ca/hospitals-getting-paid-more-label-cause-death-coronavirus/5709720

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/16/2002

View Profile



Posted: 04/26/20 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

neal10a wrote:

wilber1 wrote:

justme wrote:

Can someone explain why some countries have a much lower death rate (deaths per million) than others while ignoring data from the Communist countries? For example why is Singapore so low. Then explain why are states on the east coast so much higher. I am not sure of the reason, but something is not right. This is a link to the official scoreboard. I would think there would be more uniformity between countries with modern health care.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/


For one thing, places like Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong etc are small, two of them are completely islands and unlike states, all of them have control over their own borders. New Zealand also has a very low rate. It is also a small island country that came down on the virus early and hard.
The data, deaths/million compensates for the proportional difference between countries and control of borders or isolation is not relevant because the virus is prevalent and spreads person to person at an exponential rate. In short IMHO your opinion is conjecture..


Yes it is conjecture but if you can prevent people who are already infected from entering your country, you reduce the number of people who can pass it on to others at an exponential rate. The virus first took off in North America in two of the places which have the closest transportation links with China, Washington State and British Columbia.


"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/26/20 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

justme,

I've wondered the same thing. Germany in particular has a LOT of cases--but a much lower death rate. There is an inverse correlation between number of ICU beds and deaths. But whether that is causal is an entirely different question.


Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

Senior Member

Joined: 02/23/2002

View Profile



Posted: 04/26/20 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Death rates (deaths per infections) are dependent upon infection rates which are unknown because of low and inconsistent testing rates between countries or between states in the USA. Deaths per population are dependent upon, among other things, infection rate (which are not known).

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/26/20 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

USA is about number 35 on number of tests per million. German is about number 24.

Let's all encourage our countries to test test test!

neal10a

Madison CT

Senior Member

Joined: 06/26/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/26/20 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

USA is about number 35 on number of tests per million. German is about number 24.

Let's all encourage our countries to test test test!
Yes and as we do more tests that include blood tests for anti-bodies, we find out that there are more people infected, recovered, and thus lowers the death rate.

joeshmoe

So Cal

Senior Member

Joined: 08/17/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/26/20 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it just me, or is anyone miffed that our gov't essentially lied and told us to NOT wear masks in the beginning? If they'd been honest with the people, we could have taken proper precautions to protect ourselves and determined whether or not to venture out. By their own admission, they said wearing PPE wouldn't have made much difference (which I disagree), but by that logic, we could have moved forward without obliterating our economy.

* This post was edited 04/26/20 02:05pm by joeshmoe *


2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

NJRVer

NJ

Senior Member

Joined: 05/16/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/26/20 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joeshmoe wrote:

Is it just me, or is anyone miffed that our gov't essentially lied and told us to NOT wear masks in the beginning? If they'd been honest with the people, we could have taken proper precautions to protect ourselves and determined whether or not to venture out. By their own admission, they said wearing PPE wouldn't have made much difference (which I disagree), but by that logic, we could have moved forward without obliterating our economy.



Because they knew the supply on hand woefully short. They wanted to make sure what was available would get to the hospitals where they were really needed.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

Senior Member

Joined: 11/12/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/26/20 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NJRVer wrote:

joeshmoe wrote:

Is it just me, or is anyone miffed that our gov't essentially lied and told us to NOT wear masks in the beginning? If they'd been honest with the people, we could have taken proper precautions to protect ourselves and determined whether or not to venture out. By their own admission, they said wearing PPE wouldn't have made much difference (which I disagree), but by that logic, we could have moved forward without obliterating our economy.



Because they knew the supply on hand woefully short. They wanted to make sure what was available would get to the hospitals where they were really needed.


Coulda told us that, and we'd make our own - which we did anyway, and still use when we need it. Wife sewed up a few and we wash and hot dry
between trips out.


Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 116  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

 > 2019–20 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.