RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: 2019–2022 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 2019–2022 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 146  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
LJAZ

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/21 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe the Delta variant has now been found in all 50 states and is on track to become the dominant version in the US within a couple of weeks. I've heard that the vaccines are about 70% effective against it as opposed to the 90% effective against the earlier variants. Also if you are vaccinated and you do get it you are much less likely to be hospitalized.

One of the worrisome thing about this variant is younger people and children are more susceptible to it.

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/21 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb,
I’m away for 2 weeks at sheep dog trials; judging one and competing at another. I won’t be able to properly address your question for a while.
Mark

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (semi-retired), Grant, Lee, Fern & Hattie
Sam the Maremma Sheepdog & Wendy the Kangal (at home guarding our flock)
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/21 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

Deb,
I’m away for 2 weeks at sheep dog trials; judging one and competing at another. I won’t be able to properly address your question for a while.
Mark

Hey - no problem and good luck!!!!

Deb and Ed M

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/21 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LJAZ wrote:

One of the worrisome thing about this variant is younger people and children are more susceptible to it.

That's what concerns me - Covid tore through 2 of my kids' families this past March (probably the Alpha/UK Variant - fortunately, nobody got so sick they needed to go to the Dr), and I'm sort of nagging them to get vaccinated, thinking that "having Covid" doesn't offer the same level of immunity against the Delta Variant as a vaccination?

Previously Mark had posted a study that showed that immunity offered by having "wild" Covid wasn't as effective as a vaccination against the Alpha variant. I guess I'm wondering if having the Alpha/UK variant transfers better immunity against the Delta variant.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

Is there any research showing how the antibodies produced by having Covid, (presuming the UK/"Alpha" Variant) protect against the Delta variant? Or is it too early in that fight?

This is from an abstract from a study recently published in Nature.

Quote:

Sera from convalescent patients collected up to 12 months post symptoms were 4 fold less potent against variant Delta, relative to variant Alpha (B.1.1.7). Sera from individuals having received one dose of Pfizer or AstraZeneca vaccines barely inhibited variant Delta. Administration of two doses generated a neutralizing response in 95% of individuals, with titers 3 to 5 fold lower against Delta than Alpha.

Nature (2021)

Reduced neutralizing titers does not mean ineffective. Another item of note is that these reported reduced titers were averages from convalescent serum samples and serum samples from vaccinated people (the number of samples was not reported in the abstract and I don't have access to this full paper) tested against the virus (delta VOC) isolated from one person (viruses can vary genomically between people and within people even within one VOC). The reduction in titers will vary between people; I suspect the variant is greater in convalescent sera (previous infection) than in sera from vaccinated people.

* This post was last edited 07/13/21 08:13am by BCSnob *   View edit history

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

Mark - didn't I read a while back that about 5% of all positive Covid tests get checked for variants? (Because it's time consuming and expensive) The Delta Variant is being found in Michigan and I see the new case rate starting to creep back up. I suspect the numbers reported are merely the tip of the iceberg.
I've not seen a specific percentage of positive PCR tests that are submitted to the CDC for sequencing. The CDC does maintain a list of the number of samples sequenced and the breakdowns of the VOCs from each state and how the surveillance program works.

CDC: What is Genomic Surveillance?

Many states (including MI) are not listed in the CDC data tracker page for the breakdown of VOCs because the total number of samples sequenced for those states over a 4 week period was below a threshold of 300.

Deb and Ed M

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mark - thank you!! Welcome home and hope the herding trials went well :-) I will pass this info along to my family :-)

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/21 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Judging (near Ithaca, NY) went well, four 8hr days of scoring 8min runs was mentally exhausting. I received many complements on my consistency. The van radiator developed a crack on the way home; was lucky in getting it repaired on the same day. Started the ~12hr trip to the 2nd trial (near Peoria, IL); got a trailer flat within 3hrs of home (just north of Morgantown, WV) and after work hrs. Decided not to go on the remaining trip without a spare tire but decided to just come home. Spent my remaining vacation days at home training the dogs and getting farm ready for the 2 events we will be hosting later this summer and fall.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/21 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There has been some talk about some categories of people who may need a booster. At this point the US is not recommending it, but Israel has started them in some individuals.

Just by way of information, my wife has Rheumatoid Arthritis and is on immunosuppressive drugs and has been from before, throughout our vaccinations and after. We're a little over 4 months past our 2nd Pfizer shot. She had an appointment with her rheumatologist yesterday and they decided to do a COVID antibody test to evaluate whether or not she had an immune response to the vaccination. The good news is that she had a good response and still has antibodies to the spike protein.

The unsure news is that evaluation of these tests is new enough that it isn't known how protective her levels are, just that she does have antibodies. The CDC and NIH are gathering information from these types of tests to help formulate future recommendations.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (12 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 3 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

Deb and Ed M

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/21 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

The unsure news is that evaluation of these tests is new enough that it isn't known how protective her levels are, just that she does have antibodies. The CDC and NIH are gathering information from these types of tests to help formulate future recommendations.

Sometimes it seems like the virus researchers are like the guys who enjoy running with the bulls in Pamplona - they manage to stay just ahead of the horns - barely. Thank your wife for being a guinea pig (I offer that in all sincerity)
Deb

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 146  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 2019–2022 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.