RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: 2019–2022 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 2019–2022 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 147  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a recently published literature review article that compiled and evaluated all of the publish randomized clinical trials using ivermectin to treat or prevent Covid-19. I have quoted the full summary for everyone to review.

Ivermectin for preventing and treating COVID-19
Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews
Version published: 28 July 2021

Quote:

Main results

We found 14 studies with 1678 participants investigating ivermectin compared to no treatment, placebo, or standard of care. No study compared ivermectin to an intervention with proven efficacy. There were nine studies treating participants with moderate COVID-19 in inpatient settings and four treating mild COVID-19 cases in outpatient settings. One study investigated ivermectin for prevention of SARS-CoV-2 infection. Eight studies had an open-label design, six were double-blind and placebo-controlled. Of the 41 study results contributed by included studies, about one third were at overall high risk of bias.

Ivermectin doses and treatment duration varied among included studies.

We identified 31 ongoing and 18 studies awaiting classification until publication of results or clarification of inconsistencies.

Ivermectin compared to placebo or standard of care for inpatient COVID-19 treatment

We are uncertain whether ivermectin compared to placebo or standard of care reduces or increases mortality (risk ratio (RR) 0.60, 95% confidence interval (CI) 0.14 to 2.51; 2 studies, 185 participants; very low-certainty evidence) and clinical worsening up to day 28 assessed as need for invasive mechanical ventilation (IMV) (RR 0.55, 95% CI 0.11 to 2.59; 2 studies, 185 participants; very low-certainty evidence) or need for supplemental oxygen (0 participants required supplemental oxygen; 1 study, 45 participants; very low-certainty evidence), adverse events within 28 days (RR 1.21, 95% CI 0.50 to 2.97; 1 study, 152 participants; very low-certainty evidence), and viral clearance at day seven (RR 1.82, 95% CI 0.51 to 6.48; 2 studies, 159 participants; very low-certainty evidence). Ivermectin may have little or no effect compared to placebo or standard of care on clinical improvement up to 28 days (RR 1.03, 95% CI 0.78 to 1.35; 1 study; 73 participants; low-certainty evidence) and duration of hospitalization (mean difference (MD) -0.10 days, 95% CI -2.43 to 2.23; 1 study; 45 participants; low-certainty evidence). No study reported quality of life up to 28 days.

Ivermectin compared to placebo or standard of care for outpatient COVID-19 treatment

We are uncertain whether ivermectin compared to placebo or standard of care reduces or increases mortality up to 28 days (RR 0.33, 95% CI 0.01 to 8.05; 2 studies, 422 participants; very low-certainty evidence) and clinical worsening up to 14 days assessed as need for IMV (RR 2.97, 95% CI 0.12 to 72.47; 1 study, 398 participants; very low-certainty evidence) or non-IMV or high flow oxygen requirement (0 participants required non-IMV or high flow; 1 study, 398 participants; very low-certainty evidence). We are uncertain whether ivermectin compared to placebo reduces or increases viral clearance at seven days (RR 3.00, 95% CI 0.13 to 67.06; 1 study, 24 participants; low-certainty evidence). Ivermectin may have little or no effect compared to placebo or standard of care on the number of participants with symptoms resolved up to 14 days (RR 1.04, 95% CI 0.89 to 1.21; 1 study, 398 participants; low-certainty evidence) and adverse events within 28 days (RR 0.95, 95% CI 0.86 to 1.05; 2 studies, 422 participants; low-certainty evidence). None of the studies reporting duration of symptoms were eligible for primary analysis. No study reported hospital admission or quality of life up to 14 days.

Ivermectin compared to no treatment for prevention of SARS-CoV-2 infection

We found one study. Mortality up to 28 days was the only outcome eligible for primary analysis. We are uncertain whether ivermectin reduces or increases mortality compared to no treatment (0 participants died; 1 study, 304 participants; very low-certainty evidence). The study reported results for development of COVID-19 symptoms and adverse events up to 14 days that were included in a secondary analysis due to high risk of bias. No study reported SARS-CoV-2 infection, hospital admission, and quality of life up to 14 days.

Authors' conclusions

Based on the current very low- to low-certainty evidence, we are uncertain about the efficacy and safety of ivermectin used to treat or prevent COVID-19. The completed studies are small and few are considered high quality. Several studies are underway that may produce clearer answers in review updates. Overall, the reliable evidence available does not support the use of ivermectin for treatment or prevention of COVID-19 outside of well-designed randomized trials.

Sorry mod I can’t help myself

Don’t be a sheeple and self medicate with a sheep dewormer!

* This post was edited 08/30/21 08:00am by BCSnob *

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Demand Surges for Deworming Drug for COVID, Despite No Evidence It Works
NYTimes

Farm Supply Stores Are Running Short on a Horse Dewormer/Pseudoscience COVID Cure
Slate
Quote:

For the farm stores that carry nonprescription ivermectin for use in livestock, pets, and other animals, the surge in demand of the animal dewormer for human use has caused problems. The product has been flying off the shelves in stores across the country.

Some farm supply stores, like the Tractor Supply Co. chain, have had to resort to disclaimers to curb the purchase of ivermectin for COVID in their stores. “The product sold in our stores is only suitable for animals and is clearly labeled as such,” a representative for the company told me in an email. “We have signs to remind our guests that these products are for animal use only.” The sign used by Tractor Supply reads: “Ivermectin HAS NOT BEEN APPROVED by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in treating or preventing COVID-19 in humans and could cause severe personal injury or death.”

And while many stores are taking the Tractor Supply route and adding warning signs about the risk of using livestock ivermectin in humans, others have pulled the product off their shelves altogether.

* This post was edited 08/30/21 08:58am by BCSnob *

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all!

I think it's been over a year since I posted in this thread. My first post was when my wife got COVID in early 2020. At that time widespread testing was not available. Only she was tested because she was hospitalized. The rest of us quarantined, had mild symptoms but were never tested.

Fast forward to now.

We were all vaccinated in early 2021.

My wife got it a second time in April of 2021 after she was vaccinated. No symptoms, but since she works in a nursing home she is tested twice a week and came up positive.

We returned from our annual vacation "down the Shore" the Saturday before last. My wife had developed COVID-like symptoms (again) Thursday the 19th. They got severe over that weekend and she tested positive for the third time (2nd time post-vaccination). 2 other people that shared the house tested positive and had mild-to-severe symptoms. My son, vaccinated, is one of them. Neither my wife nor son have a sense of smell or taste anymore but the other symptoms have subsided.

We all got vaccinated because it seemed to make sense at the time. Right now, however, it makes no sense at all to me. Despite all of the time that has passed since all of this started I can't help but feel that "they" (whoever "they" are) still have no idea how to stop the spread of this or treat it. I may be naive but I do believe the rules are well-intentioned but I question the effectiveness especially given the lack of consistency in their application and enforcement.

1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Preprint posted yesterday which reviewed COVID hospitalization data from 13 states. The data continues to indicate vaccination minimizes risk of severe COVID requiring hospitalization even against the Delta variant.

COVID-19-associated hospitalizations among vaccinated and unvaccinated adults >=18 years - COVID-NET, 13 states, January 1 - July 24, 2021
medRxiv preprint 29 Aug 2021

Quote:

From January 24 - July 24, 2021, cumulative hospitalization rates were 17 times higher in unvaccinated persons compared with vaccinated persons (423 cases per 100,000 population v. 26 per 100,000 population, respectively)

Quote:

…fully vaccinated persons admitted with COVID-19 were older compared with unvaccinated persons, more likely to have 3 or more underlying medical conditions and be residents of long-term care facilities, respectively

Quote:

Conclusion: Population-based hospitalization rates show that unvaccinated adults aged >=18 years are 17 times more likely to be hospitalized compared with vaccinated adults. Rates are far higher in unvaccinated persons in all adult age groups, including during a period when the Delta variant was the predominant strain of the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Vaccines continue to play a critical role in preventing serious COVID-19 illness and remain highly effective in preventing COVID-19 hospitalizations.

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/21 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim, I understand your frustration but there are two major reasons why vaccination is still a good idea.

1. As Mark listed above, unvaccinated people are 17X more likely to end up in the hospital. In all probability the cases you and your family members had would have been more serious.

2. Many people vaccinated do not get re-infected. The more we can limit the number of times this virus reproduces through infection, the greater the chance we can limit mutations that cause problems, like the Delta variant.

Your experiences are evidence why it's still important to take reasonable preventive measures.

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee (12 year old Terrier of some sort), Sasha 3 yr old Golden
Kaiya at the Rainbow Bridge
2008 Southwind
2009 Honda CRV

Check out blog.rv.net

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dturm wrote:

Jim, I understand your frustration but there are two major reasons why vaccination is still a good idea.

1. As Mark listed above, unvaccinated people are 17X more likely to end up in the hospital. In all probability the cases you and your family members had would have been more serious.

2. Many people vaccinated do not get re-infected. The more we can limit the number of times this virus reproduces through infection, the greater the chance we can limit mutations that cause problems, like the Delta variant.

Your experiences are evidence why it's still important to take reasonable preventive measures.

Not sure about point number 2, would need to see stats on it. Quite the contrary to what I am reading and seeing personally. LOTS of vaccinated folks getting re-infected and some with symptoms as severe as non vaccinated folks. The vaccine does not mitigate transmission, especially with the Delta variant. It may minimize symptoms but so does antibodies developed from being previously infected. I think people had a belief that the vaccine was some sort of magic bullet and they ostracize people for not getting vaccinated. Truth is, being vaccinated does not stop you from transmitting. Moreover if you are asymptomatic you can transmit unknowingly. Vaccine mandates at this point are silly, if not for the transmission but the loss of efficacy after months and further lack of efficacy with the delta. Does an 8 month old vaccine card actually prove anything? Now they want you to get boosters. Will they continue to demand boosters every 8 months and a new booster for each new strain? All seems very - ready, shoot, aim.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

dturm

Lake County, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/30/21 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Politico report on recent cohort study

CDC report

Vaccinated still 80% protection from infection with vaccine.

* This post was edited 08/30/21 10:55am by dturm *

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Not sure about point number 2, would need to see stats on it.

No problem, the cdc maintains and posts these data here:
COVID-19 Breakthrough Case Investigations and Reporting

Quote:

Hospitalized or fatal COVID-19 vaccine breakthrough cases reported to CDC as of August 23, 2021
As of August 23, 2021, more than 171 million people in the United States had been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

During the same time, CDC received reports from 49 U.S. states and territories of 11,050 patients with COVID-19 vaccine breakthrough infection who were hospitalized or died.
There’s more info on this site.

The nytimes also have stats on this
See the Data on Breakthrough Covid Hospitalizations and Deaths by State

The nytimes site compares hospitalization and deaths of unvaccinated to vaccinated by state.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish there was more data on Prime + Boost subjects.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/21 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

-----------------
Heads UP! This post only consisted of 'guessing' and assumptions. Stick to the legitimate science. (Mod)

Heads up! it was actually citing my personal experience and observations.

-----------------
We have another thread for 'personal observations'.

* This post was last edited 08/30/21 03:54pm by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 147  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 2019–2022 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.