RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: 2019–2022 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 2019–2022 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 176  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/22 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My father’s angiogram (and either placement of a stint or scheduling of bypass) was rescheduled and my parents expect it will get pushed again. Meanwhile the nurse who called to reschedule reviewed with my mother the signs of a heart attack. My father gets exhausted going to get the mail from the box.

We know someone whose daughter-in-law was taken off life support and died because her lungs were too damaged from Covid-19. She was fully vaccinated but her husband refused to get vaccinated. He got Covid-19 and likely infected her (and other family members).

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/22 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not so sure what getting a test means. You don't have the bug at that minute ... Next day that test is irrelevant. Might only make sense if you plan to fly or float somewhere in a crowd.

At this point, if you're not sick, stay home or go to work. If you're sick, go to a clinic and get treatment.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/22 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

My father’s angiogram (and either placement of a stint or scheduling of bypass) was rescheduled and my parents expect it will get pushed again. Meanwhile the nurse who called to reschedule reviewed with my mother the signs of a heart attack. My father gets exhausted going to get the mail from the box.

This is the part that makes me mad about those who take Covid too lightly to bother with vaccination or precautions - and then come down with it and tie up hospital beds that are needed desperately for other medical issues. One of our local (large) hospital systems just announced that all surgeries that would require an overnight stay, are being canceled.

Will say a prayer for your Dad (((hug)))

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/22 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Monkey44, I agree with you, especially your first sentence. Right now my granddaughter is at UNC Chapel Hill, NC in a house with three other girls; all have been vaccinated and had their boosters; they all are now suffering from the Omicron variant and are in isolation. The only thing I can do for them is have Harris Teeter deliver groceries to their door paying with my credit card. How we determined it was Omicron was via my granddaughter's boyfriend who obtained Rapid Tests from his father who teaches at the UNC School of Medicine. These children could not find these tests anywhere other than this professor. Once the four girls tested positive, they called the school clinic for appointments to verify the Rapid Tests results; the clinic verified the results. My question is how can all four get it at the same time? My only speculation would be that they keep two cats in the house, and these cats go from one girl to the next for affection and petting and have the run of the house.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/22 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Omicron is evading previously induced immunity (past vaccinations, and boosting), the extent of evasion is highly dependent upon the details of the previously induced immunity.

Two doses of mRNA vaccines are proving to be vastly more effective than the other vaccines; but just 2 doses are very effective against omicron. Boosting with one of the mRNA vaccines restores protection; the level of protection is best after boosting for those who had one of the mRNA vaccines.

mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccine boosters induce neutralizing immunity against SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant
Cell, 23 Dec 2021
See figures 2 & 3

The level of protection appears to wane over time after boosting; the decrease in protection is lower after boosting with Moderna than with Pfizer.

SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern and variants under investigation in England
Technical briefing: Update on hospitalisation and vaccine effectiveness for Omicron VOC-21NOV-01 (B.1.1.529)

UK Health Security Agency 31 Dec 2021
See figure 2

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/22 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

charlestonsouthern wrote:

My question is how can all four get it at the same time? My only speculation would be that they keep two cats in the house, and these cats go from one girl to the next for affection and petting and have the run of the house.

Or they all were exposed at the same time: traveled together in the same vehicle with someone infected, when together to the same social gathering, an infected person came to their house, etc.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/22 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just spent 10 days with the in-laws (over the holidays) - 5 of us total. My wife was the first to come down with what seemed like a common cold. We could not isolate from each other so had to do what we could. We all thought it was a cold not COVID. We are all vaccinated and boosted. We were able to get some at home tests, my wife tested positive, I tested negative and my mother in law tested negative - on the first go around. A few days later, I started feeling sick, I tested again, 3 days after the first test, I was now positive, my wife still positive, my mother in law positive, my son and father in law negative. My son got tested Friday at School and we will know tomorrow, my wife and I will go in tomorrow for rapid tests, my mother in law tested after 6 days from positive, she is now negative. We don't have any at home tests so we are going to a test site. I still feel under the weather but my wife and mother in law are feeling fine. My son and father in law never had any illness.

ivbinconned

highway 16

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/22 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our hospitals have been in a trying to “catch up” state for many years.
Before “the covid flu”, wait times for a new hip has been 2 years plus for a decade.
We tend to not notice unless it affects us personally and for many “history” starts every morning.

Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/22 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

....does anyone know what the R value is for Omicron, in an urban environment 1st World country?

I've been seeing a lot of R5 numbers....site U.K. Health Security Agency (and numerous others)....

With an exceptionally high number like that, I expect almost every living human on Earth regardless of vaccination status will contract Omicron in very short order (maybe by mid February?), including fully-boosted "us"; even using our NIOSH US-manufactured N95 masks, every time we enter an enclosed public (or, private) space not our own condo.

Anyone?

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/22 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

The original strain of SARS-CoV-2 has an R0 of 2·5, while the delta variant (B.1.617.2) has an R0 of just under 7. Martin Hibberd, professor of emerging infectious diseases at London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (London, UK), reckons omicron's R0 could be as high as 10.

Omicron variant and booster COVID-19 vaccines
The Lancet 17 Dec 2021

Quote:

The original Covid-19 virus has R0 around 2-3 (4,5), Delta R0˜5 (5) and Omicron R0˜7.5 (5,6).

How Large Fraction of A Population Must be
Vaccinated before A Disease is Controlled?

ResearchSquare 11 Jan 2022

* This post was last edited 01/11/22 09:53am by BCSnob *   View edit history

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 176  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 2019–2022 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.