RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: 2019–2022 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 2019–2022 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 147  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Novavax covid-19 vaccine (in clinical trials) is based upon a different vaccine technology than Pfizer’s mRNA vaccine (more similar to those used for the childhood vaccines).

What We Know So Far About The Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine

charlestonsouthern

Summerville, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/21 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just noticed on CNN that Ohio has banned schools and colleges from requiring new and returning students to be vaccinated before they come to campus. No doubt, I would jerk my kid or grandkid out of those schools in a New York minute. So far, the University of NC at Chapel Hill has required the vaccinations for in-class learning and sororities; my granddaughter (and her family) is so tired of on-line classes and paying the same tuition whether in class or not. Some states need to get their act together for the sake of our children.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My question has to do with inactivated live virus inoculation. Has anyone done peer reviewed studies as to the potential generation of relevant T cell activity in comparison to mRNA vaccination? Or better yet, wide spectrum vaccinations?

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/21 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That was not tested in the recently published phase1/2 trial of coronavac. The authors state it will be evaluated in the ongoing phase 3 trial.

Quote:

This study has some further limitations. First, although much evidence supports the important role of a T cell response to COVID-19,27 and such responses have been observed with use of mRNA vaccines and adenoviral-vectored vaccines,9, 10, 11, 12, 28, 29 those tests were not done in this study. However, we detected IFN-? as an indicator of T-cell responses following vaccination in our phase 1 trial among adults aged 18–59 years, and the results showed that the responses induced by CoronaVac were low.20 We will also assess the responses of type 1 and type 2 T-helper cells by CoronaVac in the ongoing phase 3 trial.

The Lancet Volume 21, Issue 6, June 2021, Pages 803-812

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/21 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve been waiting to see a study on this.

In addition to sars-cov-2 genetic variants there are ace2 receptor genetic variants (223 were identified) in the human population. This preprint assess the ace2 variants and identified one that appears to limit covid-19 infection because it reduced the ability of the spike on the virus to bind to the ace2 receptor.

Susceptibilities of human ACE2 genetic variants in coronavirus infection

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/21 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not going to pretend that I understood even a third of that study data - BUT, it pointed out why certain co-morbidities could be more susceptible to Covid, than others?

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/21 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is also a correlation between disease severity and the amount of ace2 expressed; and the amount of ace2 expression is correlated with age (increases with age) and some comorbidities.

ACE2 Expression Is Increased in the Lung........idities Associated With Severe COVID-19

A double whammy, more ace2 receptor to bind the virus and ace2 receptor variants that will more readily bind the virus

* This post was edited 07/20/21 10:22am by BCSnob *

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

A double whammy, more ace2 receptor to bind the virus and ace2 receptor variants that will more readily bind the virus

I'm just taking a wild guess here: are these also the people who are suffering breakthrough Covid? I'm going on the assumption that being vaccinated still doesn't lessen the extra ace2 receptors nor the willingness of the variants to spread themselves.....

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve not seen a study assessing underlying causes of breakthroughs. Keep in mind vaccination yields a range of antibody titers in people; not every immune system responds to the same degree to vaccination.

I did find these summaries

COVID-19 Vaccine Breakthrough Infections........ United States, January 1–April 30, 2021

Elucidating causes of COVID-19 infection and related deaths after vaccination

This summary reports a 0.01% vaccine breakthrough rate in the USA for all vaccines in use (10,262 out of 101 million persons. Of the breakthrough cases 2725(27%) were asymptomatic; 995 (10%) hospitalized; and 160 (2%) patients died.).

* This post was last edited 07/21/21 08:48am by BCSnob *   View edit history

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/21 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This article has a bit more information on ACE2 receptor genetic variation and comorbidities.

ACE2: the molecular doorway to SARS-CoV-2

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 147  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> 2019–2022 CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC POSTINGS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.