RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Can You Pass Through States with Stay at Home Orders?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Can You Pass Through States with Stay at Home Orders?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An interesting article about Nantucket. I can see why the gentleman was quick to tell me to stay the heck out.

They're already overrun.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/25/the-wealthy-flee-to-nantucket-a-medical-desert-during-coronavirus-lockdown/

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

An interesting article about Nantucket. I can see why the gentleman was quick to tell me to stay the heck out.

They're already overrun.
We head back there next week because it is where we live.

The reality is, of course, not really as bad as the Post portrays it to be, but it is a PITA for people who actually live there. People who own summer homes there don't understand that staffing over the winter for all first responders and hospital staff is much lower than when they are typically there in July and August. We all wonder what they think they are going to do there because most of them never enjoyed the wind and rains of April and May on Nantucket (which is why we are in Florida for a couple of months). [emoticon]

Luckily they shut down access to non-residents a couple of days ago and if non-residents leave for any reason they are not permitted to return.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen stories on BBC about the Scottish and other islands closing themselves to RV's and tent campers.

So many flocked to the islands that they overwhelmed and overcrowded the few campgrounds, beach boondocking sites, etc.

Ferries were being limited to only island permanent residents inbound. Fees waived of lowered for folks with RVs leaving.

I would not be surprised if that was happening many other places in Europe. Spain, Portugal, Atlantic and Med coasts of France, Italy are all popular with 'caravanners'. So is Croatia. Bit early in the year for most of those, but...

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/20 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

They're already overrun.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/25/the-wealthy-flee-to-nantucket-a-medical-desert-during-coronavirus-lockdown/

Clicky

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 07:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

They've taken hundreds to jail for violating the stay at home orders. If I were you I wouldn't chance it. Bypass Delaware and any other state that will confine you for being out and about. Better yet, stay in Florida.

Wait, what I am reading is that many jails are releasing nonviolents from jail as fast as they can.
Gotta call BS on this one without link to something other than world net daily or snopes.

OP: please stay in Fla. Its much safer there for now.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

Hard to explain but anything larger than a car is prohibited by ordinance. It's a very urban area. I've got away with it here and there but they weren't happy about it. And we need to leave it for the summer.

So storing it elsewhere or just taking the pickup are the only actual options. If all goes back to semi-normal, they'll be very upset I left it there.

Still probably worth a call. I doubt they are going to be going crazy on ordinance enforcement and if you have a decent relationship, good chance they are understanding.

Once things go back to semi-normal, go back, drop the rig off in storage and you can head back out to anchorage.

I'm not suggesting leave it without getting the OK first. Doesn't hurt to ask.

PS: We lived on our boat for 11yrs and if you ask nicely, we've always been amazed how accommodating people can be even if it's not strictly within the rules.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 04:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

HadEnough wrote:

Hard to explain but anything larger than a car is prohibited by ordinance. It's a very urban area. I've got away with it here and there but they weren't happy about it. And we need to leave it for the summer.

So storing it elsewhere or just taking the pickup are the only actual options. If all goes back to semi-normal, they'll be very upset I left it there.

Still probably worth a call. I doubt they are going to be going crazy on ordinance enforcement and if you have a decent relationship, good chance they are understanding.

Once things go back to semi-normal, go back, drop the rig off in storage and you can head back out to anchorage.

I'm not suggesting leave it without getting the OK first. Doesn't hurt to ask.

PS: We lived on our boat for 11yrs and if you ask nicely, we've always been amazed how accommodating people can be even if it's not strictly within the rules.

Yes, I've been actively and continuously (except when RVing) lived aboard and cruised for about 15 years too.

The thing is, they don't enforce the rules. The lgovernment has jurisdiction over their parking lot. They do the enforcement. Not a small town situation.

In any case, the virus exposure risk goes way up if we are making multiple trips to the marina. As someone with an underlying lung condition, I'm not willing to go back and forth on public transportation to move the RV a second time. Too risky.

It'll be more safe to just go directly into the boat and come back at the end of the summer if all is well by then.

The more I analyze the situation, the better the pickup truck only plan is looking purely from a safety standpoint.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To the OP. I know this sounds like a great idea, being isolated on a boat away from it all, but you will have interaction if you truly plan to travel all summer. You will need food, fuel, fresh water, and to dump your waste tank and trash. I’ve cruised from Nantucket to Florida and know how it works.

You can’t expect marina services so no fuel, pump outs or fresh water. If you hang out in a harbor such as Nantucket you can expect a visit from the Coast Guard because our harbor master will ask them to make sure your overboard waste dump is sealed. I am sure you will hit this in any protected harbor.

And then if you do get sick you will probably not be anywhere near good medical services unless you hang out near a big city which kind of defeats the purpose of your plan. If you end up in a small town needing medical attention you just add to the problem for the people who live there.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand why you want to do this, just don’t think it will Valhalla.

Dave

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/20 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Per Gov. Sununu of NH no governor has the right to close borders. Even though we are now in a stay-at-home situation he has no plan to use the police to enforce the order and there is no real way to do so.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Whatever you do stay away from Mexico
the wall would be good idea right now with this careless behavior

https://youtu.be/o3z-MH-xxdI

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Can You Pass Through States with Stay at Home Orders?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.