|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How many amps does my inverter provide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/20 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 400w volt cube.

Just did a quick cell phone test.
Using 120AC charger: 0.83a
Using the USB output: 0.50a

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/20 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Thanks all, I figured I was good but wanted to be sure. The inverter is only going to be powered by an ignition positive source to power a few phone chargers so I'm not too concerned about draining the battery. But it is good to know about the limitations.

Why use a 12V to 120V inverter to go to 5V USB to charge a phone?

You can go direct from 12V to 5V with one of these..

[image]

$10 for a 2.4A two USB port cig port charger..

HERE

2.4A will handle pretty much any phone or Tablet with ease.

Save the inverter for much heavier 120V loads..

landyacht318

Near a large body of salty water

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/20 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another case of the inverter not being required to do the task at hand.

Anytime one can bypass the requirement of having to use the inverter it will likely save both money, and battery power.

I recommend skipping the Ciggy plug whenever possible too, It is a horrible, contemptible, highly resistive electrical connection, that gets worse with age and the more current it is asked to pass. I've had one of the supposedly 'better' ciggy plug and mating receptacle buzz audibly when using a PWM dimmer on some leds, and could stop the whine/buzz simply by changing the pressure on the plug, but as soon as I let off it came back.

There are USB receptacles designed to fit the same space as a ciggy plug 12v receptacle, This one shows Amps( @5vdc) as well as voltage reaching the plug.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-ADSDIA-Al........rds=12v+usb+source&qid=1585102971&sr=8-5

Shop around, that was just the first hit that looked like the product I have in mind and have employed on a friend's rig.

I've installed a few of these in a friends vw bus and they do recharge his Kid's ipads at a high rate. The voltmeter and ammeter display is kind of a novelty, and is difficult to see when there are two usb cords installed in it. These do have a very small parasitic draw when they are not charging anything, somewhere under 0.01amps. Use a switch in line, or be able to pull the fuse easily, for storage mode.

The inverter is wasteful when powering 5vDC USB ports or a 19.5vDC laptop. One can get dc to dc 'car adapters' for their specific laptop for about 25$ or less, and save 5 to 15 watts of energy over using the inverter powering the provided AC/DC power brick.

150 watt DC boost converters can be had for about 2$, if one has some DIY skills.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-150W-DC-DC........6?hash=item2ae250eed2:g:8qgAAOSwMdZbgRHx

Inverters are a necessary evil, but in my opinion, should always be the last resort, not the go to solution for everything household on battery power.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 03/24/20 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gotta love when landyacht replies!! Learned a ton from you dude.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/20 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are just wanting POWER STATIONS these panel would be ideal... They connect directly to your Batteries and can be mounted almost anywhere. I would get one with an ON-SWITCH as if you have a digital readout the panel may be very bright being left on 24/7.... These are very inexpensive panels and can be mounted either horizontal or vertical... Most of these panel kits come with wiring cables etc... Check out on AMAZON for 12VDC USB SOCKET PANELS...

[image]
google image

[image]
google image

[image]
google

Using a POWER INVERTER for something like this will most likely get you in an discharged battery situation.

Roy Ken
[image]

* This post was last edited 03/25/20 06:43am by RoyB *   View edit history

ndrorder

Southwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/20 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since the surge of the 600W model is 1200W, a 7Amp inline fuse to protect the 18 ga. wire is a hands off approach to not overloading the wire.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys are great. Landyacht, Gdetrailer, RoyB, DrewE, wa8yxm, Ca Traveler, Wopachop, ndrorder, I love all the suggestions and pictures to go along with them. I actually have a few of the exact USB adapters that Gdetrailer posted. You'll see it in one of the pictures below.

Here is where I have to admit to my mind being in a different place when I created this original post. Because of this I incorrectly stated the reasoning behind adding the inverter. So I'll try to clear it up here and show what I was doing.

Aside from being a tow vehicle, my Suburban is the family road trip vehicle. With 4 boys of my own, plus 8 nephews and 1 niece (all teenagers) there can be any different number of kids and their electronics in the vehicle at any one time.

In the rear cargo area of the Suburban I have an Intel NUC mini computer running both PLEX and PlayOn movie servers with over 400 movies stored. This is hard wired to an ASUS wireless router that the kids can link to in order to watch movies. This combination of computers plus 8-10 different USB plugs is what the inverter and a power strip is really for.

This week I finally removed the original factory stereo and installed a touchscreen unit with a backup camera. This made the rear audio controls in the center console obsolete. And since I have a 3d printer I decided to remove the audio controls and make a panel for some outlets.

The inverter in the center console and powered off of an ignition on fuse. The console is all plastic so there is no metal to short to.
[image]

Here's the original and now obsolete audio panel (truthfully we never used it)
[image]
The 3d printed patch panel.
[image]
And finally everything put together and powered.
[image]

I decided to run the 300w inverter powered off a 15 amp fuse. If the kids blow the fuse it they will have to decide how to better ration the available power.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyB, I love the panels you posted, I never even imagined they existed. I will definitely get one for my trailer in the future.

2oldman

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sine wave, not sign wave.

wopachop

lb

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought one of those panels a couple years ago. Was going to cut a 4" square into the side of my cabinet. So glad i never pulled the trigger. For me the switch and voltmeter never gets used. Might eventually cut a 1" hole and install just the USB.

Another idea for people in the market is to purposely buy a 1a USB outlet. Because some devices claim to only use the included charger which is sometimes only 1a. That was the case for my Verizon jetpack wifi device. Sales guy said they get a lot of returns because people cook and expand the battery from using too high of charge. Same with the wireless ear buds i just got. I have them plugged into the inverter using that white charge block that is only 1a. So it would be kinda nice to have a low power 1a USB to accompany a dual 2.4a (or whatever is highest right now...got to think some can now do 9v fast charge). I personally would like a dual 1a USB and a dual 2.4a. With also the inverter to charge laptops when not on shore power.

Here my procrastinating setup. Just kinda free willy nilly for a good year or two. I push them back behind the lip while traveling.

[image]

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How many amps does my inverter provide
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.