RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Electric black tank dump valve. Worth it?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric black tank dump valve. Worth it?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ivbinconned wrote:

Been having trouble with cable and valve leaking.
Took belly off once to deal with cable. Now valve leaking. Thinking if I have to take belly off again perhaps I should go electric.

Are they trouble free?
Consider a manual valve: you pull the handle, either a cable or a rod moves the valve, done.

An electric valve: you push a button, the button closes a circuit which may go through a circuit breaker or fuse, the motor is supplied electricity which then moves a rod or cable which moves the valve, done.

My thought usually is KISS. No way an electric valve is going to be more trouble free than a manual valve. Too many interconnecting parts add to the chances of a failure.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Lakeland Bob

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I gather this subject is about "optional" electric drains on new RVs.

However, I installed these "Barker Manufacturing Company 24140 1.5"and 3" Auto-Drains" on my TT to assist me in draining the tanks.

The manual pull handles were positioned in a way as to cause me to bend in such a way as to cause me problems with my back and knees.

I love them. And if they should malfunction, it is easy enough to manully override them. Would definitely recommend them and would install them again if the need arose.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ivbinconned wrote:

Been having trouble with cable and valve leaking.
Took belly off once to deal with cable. Now valve leaking. Thinking if I have to take belly off again perhaps I should go electric.

Are they trouble free?

I still use the cable ones.

Here is something to ponder when messing with pesky cable valves that are covered by the under belly.

Go to amazon or anywhere and buy a quality valve with new cable attached. Don't pull the underbelly down, since you seem to know the location of the valve just cut a square hole with one of the four sides left uncut to act as a hinge. Replace the whole mechanism and button it back up with gorilla tape. My replacement valves and cables have been working fine for 8 years now. Just my two pennies.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Electric black tank dump valve. Worth it?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.