RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV living and registering child for 1st grade.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV living and registering child for 1st grade.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/20 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not true, you are paying the property tax of the park owner via your rent, same as if you lived in an apartment.

Agreed, but most likely it's nowhere near what they'd get if you had a stick-and-brick. Each school system determines how much per year it costs to educate a child and in some school districts the amount is quite a bit. In MA the average per district was over $16K per student and that's not the highest in the country. My comments are not to discourage people from full-timing with kids-I'm a firm believer most children learn more from the outside world than the classroom. I have no idea how campgrounds are taxed or the tax rate would be but even if it were only 1 child it's a fair chunk of tax revenue.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never mind. On my soap box again.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 03/25/20 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Not true, you are paying the property tax of the park owner via your rent, same as if you lived in an apartment.

Agreed, but most likely it's nowhere near what they'd get if you had a stick-and-brick. Each school system determines how much per year it costs to educate a child and in some school districts the amount is quite a bit. In MA the average per district was over $16K per student and that's not the highest in the country. My comments are not to discourage people from full-timing with kids-I'm a firm believer most children learn more from the outside world than the classroom. I have no idea how campgrounds are taxed or the tax rate would be but even if it were only 1 child it's a fair chunk of tax revenue.
In Montana we are taxed on the business value of the property. Like many states, Montana has different taxing assessments and rates for different types of businesses and properties. In Montana RV parks fall under the same category as other lodging facilities. If RV parks become long term stay locations with many children enrolling in schools and the residents using other governmental services I would expect that taxing status would change. Currently, RV park guests use very little in those governmental services. Park guests don't have children in school, they are not collecting from state unemployment funds or state welfare programs and are seldom a problem that require law enforcement intervention. In my opinion it is in the best interests of most RV'ers for RV parks to continue to be used for recreational RVing and not long term housing, taxation being yet another reason why.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/25/20 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here in Tucson there are a few full-timers with small children living in their RVs at the county fairgrounds RV park. School bus picks the kids up.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/20 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Consider home-schooling if its an option. We're in year 2 of it, its wonderful.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> RV living and registering child for 1st grade.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.