RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Would solar be effective in the midwest?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Would solar be effective in the midwest?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lead acid batteries can accept "full charge" well past 80% SOC

It is all about the "charging rate", which is the amps/AH of battery bank. At any charging voltage, the lower the charging rate, the higher the SOC before amps taper at the end of Bulk and VV.

Solar often has lower max amps wrt the size of the battery bank, so that makes for a low charging rate, and so the end of Bulk in the 90s for SOC.

I don't understand what possible settings you can have on a solar controller that would alter that. The battery type settings usually only change the high voltage set point, which can change the amps being accepted. Higher voltage can mean more amps at any given SOC if the solar can provide more amps. Not going to change the charging rate very much between 14.4 and 14.8 eg.

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

2oldman

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

I don't understand what possible settings you can have on a solar controller that would alter that..
You talking to me?

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Solar is just a way to extend the time between generator/charger recharging.

I highly doubt that statement.

I use just solar to charge my GC2's. I have never used a generator to charge my 8 year old batteries and they are still going strong. I boondock 99% of the time.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

BFL13 wrote:

I don't understand what possible settings you can have on a solar controller that would alter that..
You talking to me?

No, the guy who thinks the controller sets the battery acceptance rate instead of the battery doing that for itself.

Seattle Steve

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

2oldman wrote:

BFL13 wrote:

You talking to me?

No, the guy who thinks the controller sets the battery acceptance rate instead of the battery doing that for itself.

The fact that you don't understand only means that you don't understand; not that you have a valid point. [emoticon]

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boon Docker wrote:

BFL13 wrote:

I use just solar to charge my GC2's. I have never used a generator to charge my 8 year old batteries and they are still going strong. I boondock 99% of the time.

Right, so your time with solar between gen/charger charging is long enough so you don't have to use the gen before getting to shore power again.
That can be all summer or for several days in winter, whatever the scenario is. Including how many batteries in the bank, and your daily usage.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seattle Steve wrote:

BFL13 wrote:

2oldman wrote:

BFL13 wrote:

You talking to me?

The fact that you don't understand only means that you don't understand; not that you have a valid point. [emoticon]

You are invited to explain or link to an explanation of what you mean about solar controllers so the rest of us can try to understand it.

Otherwise you are saying something against what is well known about battery acceptance rates and charging profiles.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Boon Docker wrote:

BFL13 wrote:

Right, so your time with solar between gen/charger charging is long enough so you don't have to use the gen before getting to shore power again.
That can be all summer or for several days in winter, whatever the scenario is. Including how many batteries in the bank, and your daily usage.

The last time my batteries were on shore power was 4 summers ago for one week. That is a pretty long extended time. [emoticon]

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/20 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got in three days early last week where I would have had to use the gen and charger every day, but got in some solar so didn't have to use the gen until the second day. So solar extended my time between gen charging by a day. Or by 100% if you want to make that look good.

A couple days after getting home they closed the provincial parks for camping because of the Covid-19 thing, so am stuck on the computer at home getting in trouble. They are letting the local dog-walkers in the park (Rathtrevor) all day same as usual, so I don't see how camping overnight can spread the virus particularly. Phooey.

Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/26/20 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Getting many RVers to read the basics of battery charging is nearly impossible, Steve. They would rather complain than learn.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Would solar be effective in the midwest?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.