RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: What does having an appointment mean?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What does having an appointment mean?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/20 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only go to a mom/pop rv shop in ohio for me its close ,BUT when they set a appointment thats the day it gets serviced. great sales and service at camper care in north east ohio. p.s. I.m just a happy customer.have nothing to do with the shop. theres a CW close but thats ok ,I,ll drive by.

pennysmom09

Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/20 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After the second appointment for warranty work that went into weeks, I called them and said we are coming for the rig, work done or not. We later had the repairs done by a mobile tech, he fixed it and was reimbursed by the warranty company. We have done this after a blowout with fender damage, problems with refrigerator and electric heater.

Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/20 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here’s what “appointment “ actually means with RV dealer service centers;
1. You have an appointment for April1: you bring it in and they will look at it to see what work needs to be done. Then you pick it up and,
2. You make another appointment while parts are being ordered and a few weeks later you bring it back and,
3. Then your RV is “in line” to be worked on and several weeks or months later it’s ready but when you pick it up you find they didn’t do a repair right or missed something, or one part didn’t come in yet. Or the tech broke something unrelated. So you go back to #1!

Then, you determine you’d rather learn to do things yourself or hire a mobile mechanic and have a lot less stress on your life!

BarryG20

Castle Rock, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/20 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my experience has been the same as guidry described above

2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/20 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can tell you what it mans to me,,

When I buy a camper, I meet with the service manager when taking delivery. I tell them my expectations which are -

* I will make an appointment for a Monday....
* I will drop the trailer off the Saturday before...
* They will have 40 hours to work on it.....
* I will be back the following Saturday to pick it up..
* If something is broke, I have them order the part BEFORE the trailer is dropped off, a lot of waiting is due to the factory missing parts deliveries, or dealers NOT ordering properly.

All of my dealers have been 1-1/2 hrs away or farther that is why I do the Saturday drop and pick.

I email on Tuesday to get a progress report, if no answer, I call.
This has worked for me since I have been buying RV's...It also helps to bring donuts and coffee in on the morning you drop and pick it up.... they go a long way.....

NOW.... if the repair is HUGE, all bets are off, but that has not happened to me...

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/20 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I plan on going in person on Monday and want a math lesson on how 5 hours of labor (no parts) turns into over a 2 week stay when I was given an appointment date.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“If something is broke, I have them order the part BEFORE the trailer is dropped off, a lot of waiting is due to the factory missing parts deliveries, or dealers NOT ordering properly”

Sometimes possible to order parts prior to repair. Particularly when replacing the complete item. If parts are not available or slow to arrive, how is that the repair facility’s fault? Sometimes the longer people are retired the more unrealistic their expectations....”back in my day...”

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/20 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An appointment is no more than a prearranged time to drop the unit off. The onus was on you to ask at that time if it would be looked at that day and if not, how long might it be. A simple phone call made 1.5 weeks ago probably would have provided you your answer already. Unless I am told it's going to be a certain time frame after 2 days I call and see what's going on. If I don't like the answer I resort to Plan B-finding someone else. Expediency with these situations is the key.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/28/20 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

I only go to a mom/pop rv shop in ohio for me its close ,BUT when they set a appointment thats the day it gets serviced. great sales and service at camper care in north east ohio. p.s. I.m just a happy customer.have nothing to do with the shop. theres a CW close but thats ok ,I,ll drive by.

I go to similar one. Blanchard’s in Baton Rouge. They work on it the day of the appt and if I ask them to check something they will or they will tell me it’s ahead of schedule or not something to worry about or etc. They're very honest and capable.
Sure is nice isn’t it!

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 03/28/20 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super_Dave wrote:

When you call your RV service center and they tell you that you have an appointment in 2 weeks, what does that mean to you? What are your expectations about when work will begin on your unit? The day I dropped off my trailer I was given an estimate of 5 hours labor. My trailer has been there 2 weeks.

It means NEXT TIME you may ask them more questions about expectations. Live and learn.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> What does having an appointment mean?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.