|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Another Reason To Not Have Airbags

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/20 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thousand pounds of tongue weight (at 15%) plus some stuff in the bed of a 3500 dually and squat is an issue? Something is wrong here.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Lou, why in the HE!! do you need air bags on a modern DRW RAM with such a light load?

I am betting you are airing bags to put truck at unloaded ride height. Drop the air in your bags to 5psi and raise the ball to where the trailer sets level and carry on.

Your truck is designed to set level when placing a load on it and allow the overloads to start working.

This is NOT squat! My 11 DRW is riding level with 4,50# pin. NO air bags.

[image]
You couldn't prove it by that picture. You need to change the perspective, that looks like it's squatting a lot.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Lou, why in the HE!! do you need air bags on a modern DRW RAM with such a light load?

I am betting you are airing bags to put truck at unloaded ride height. Drop the air in your bags to 5psi and raise the ball to where the trailer sets level and carry on.

Your truck is designed to set level when placing a load on it and allow the overloads to start working.

This is NOT squat! My 11 DRW is riding level with 4,50# pin. NO air bags.

[image]
You couldn't prove it by that picture. You need to change the perspective, that looks like it's squatting a lot.

Truck riding LEVEL is NOT squatting. Lot's of spring travel left. How about this pic?

2nd to last pic is current DRW with air ride in ALT with 9,750# on rear tires. Squatting?

Last pic current truck in ALT ride. Squatting?

[image]

[image]

[image]

* This post was edited 04/05/20 11:27am by Cummins12V98 *

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/20 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does look like squat.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two dimensions make it tough to really tell what is what. Some of them look fine, some look off a bit, one looks like the trailer is nose high. Just a matter of perspective.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bottom line Lou needs no air bags or Timbrens for such a light load ! Just ball to proper height and carry on.

* This post was edited 04/05/20 02:03pm by Cummins12V98 *

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Bottom line Lou needs no air bags or Timbrens for such a light load ! Just ball to proper height and carry on.

LOL... You've been riding Lou really hard lately. First it was why in the hell he was replacing the idler/pulley on his serpentine belt at 80k miles and now why in the hell he has air bags. [emoticon]

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

LOL... You've been riding Lou really hard lately. First it was why in the hell he was replacing the idler/pulley on his serpentine belt at 80k miles and now why in the hell he has air bags. [emoticon]

Hey we are buddies!

So based on your VAST knowledge of RAM trucks do you think there is a reason for him to NEED air bags for his load he mentioned?

I never said he should not need or want bags for any reason. I added bags on my 11 DRW. It had NOTHING to do with my 4,500# pin. It was to help with some of the poor roads. I set bags to 30 psi LOADED as that did not change ride height. Bags and Bilsteins what a difference.

Biggest problem with bags is people thinking they need to air so truck sets at unloaded ride height.

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

FishOnOne wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Hey we are buddies!

So based on your VAST knowledge of RAM trucks do you think there is a reason for him to NEED air bags for his load he mentioned?

I never said he should not need or want bags for any reason. I added bags on my 11 DRW. It had NOTHING to do with my 4,500# pin. It was to help with some of the poor roads. I set bags to 30 psi LOADED as that did not change ride height. Bags and Bilsteins what a difference.

Biggest problem with bags is people thinking they need to air so truck sets at unloaded ride height.

I think his concern was his tandem axle trailer applying additional load to the front tires and not his truck. When he airs his air bags he can probably level his trailer. As for his air bags maybe he's envy of your truck and all your promotions of air bags convinced him to take the leap.

Anyways if you can't harass your buddy who can you harass! [emoticon]

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not fix the leak and get on with life.

I love my airbags. But then again I have a POS Chevy and it needs them. [emoticon]

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Another Reason To Not Have Airbags
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.