|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Disc Brakes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/20 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought a new fifth wheel ,new to us anyway. Bought from a friend , he had negotiated a trade in for a new 2020, and of course they were not giving him anything near what it was worth, I offered to buy it for that, and he said why not. Only thing was he was going to remove the upgraded suspension ,and put the stock one back on, and the upgraded one on his new fifth wheel, I agreed to pay him the extra, and leave it on ,and he could buy a new upgrade for his . The upgrade on it was pretty new.

Anyway to the disc brakes that are on this one I bought from him, this is our four fifth wheel, never towed with disc brakes ( no I didn't have to pay him extra for that upgrade, he ate that [emoticon] ) Never dreamed how nice they are, between that upgraded suspension ,and disc brakes ,it was an absolute pleasure to tow. I thought my old Montana with the MorRyde suspension , and pin box towed pretty good , but not as good as this one. And this one has the standard pin box, but smooth as glass.

I will have to say anyone that is considering disc brakes ,and have never towed with them, you have no idea what you are missing, and would highly recommend them. Sure convinced me how effect they are. Can't say I was skeptical, just didn't have any experience with them on a fifth wheel. Thought about it on my Montana ,but just never got around to it, and the older it got the less money I wanted to spend on it.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pics??? What upgrade??? MORryde???

NOTHING better than Disk Brakes. Anyone saying Drums are just as good, well......

Your buddy did get scrued as he did not get the trade in value removed from his total cost so he could have saved Sales Tax on the trade amount.

I had a friend sell me his 98 12V for what Dave Smith would have paid him on trade. I asked what about the sales tax he would have saved??? He said I would rather you have it! Good Friend!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/20 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

+1 on all that was said. I will go on to say anyone considering a brake job should be thinking to put the money toward disk brake install.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

NOTHING better than Disk Brakes. Anyone saying Drums are just as good, well......

Your buddy did get scrued as he did not get the trade in value removed from his total cost so he could have saved Sales Tax on the trade amount.

I had a friend sell me his 98 12V for what Dave Smith would have paid him on trade. I asked what about the sales tax he would have saved??? He said I would rather you have it! Good Friend!!!
As I have stated before, unless you check with your state DMV, you don't know that you couldn't have applied the money you received to lower the sales tax. That is the way it works in Missouri which I didn't know for quite a few years. You have to fill out the forms as to how much you received when you sold it, and that applies to the price that was paid for the new unit. Sales tax is reduced accordingly.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I completely went thru mine last fall. I changed out to QUALITY oil bath system with EBC Yellow pads. The increase in braking is unbelievable. Kodiak 8k system on my MORryde IS system. If you don't understand how "Oil Bath" seal works check it out. NOT cheap I paid $24 each on AMAZON for the ones I listed.

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/05/20 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

As I have stated before, unless you check with your state DMV, you don't know that you couldn't have applied the money you received to lower the sales tax. That is the way it works in Missouri which I didn't know for quite a few years. You have to fill out the forms as to how much you received when you sold it, and that applies to the price that was paid for the new unit. Sales tax is reduced accordingly.

It's a "DEPENDS" thingy!!! Have not heard of a place that charges sales tax not crediting the trade value. But it's possible I could be wrong.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/20 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

What we did was the dealer suggested an in and out, and I would buy from the dealer for the agreed price , it didn't dawn on either of us, and I had done that once before selling a truck to a friend, and did an in ,and out with a dealer for the agreed price . I payed the agreed price to the dealer where he traded it in , in Texas , it did cost me a couple hundred extra for their processing fee's , not a problem there. It was a great deal on the fifth wheel, and the savings on taxes to the friend.

The suspension upgrade was the Comfort Ride by Roadmaster, with shocks. I don't know much about it, this friend belongs to a Heartland group. I actually helped him in Arizona last winter install it on another members fifth wheel, a bunch of them went to it. I do know its a slip spring leaf spring suspension with shocks. The fifth wheel rides ,and takes the bumps ,and overpasses much better then my old Montana with the MorRyde . They are both nearly the same dry weight ,with the same GVWR 15,500

When this deal got started in early March we were together in Arizona, he was headed to Texas on the 16th of March to get his new one ,he is a full timer ,and I was going home to Utah, and put mine up for sale. If I got mine sold in a reasonable time I would go to Texas to buy his old one. Mine sold pretty quick, but with whats going on I didn't want to go all the way to Texas. So I had it transported to Cheyenne , Wy, that was as close as I could get them to come from Texas , then he headed to Indiana to pick up a new fifth to deliver to the dealer we were dealing with ,it worked out pretty well. Still a 900mile round trip for me ,not bad . It would of been nearly 3000 miles .

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/20 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

It's a "DEPENDS" thingy!!! Have not heard of a place that charges sales tax not crediting the trade value. But it's possible I could be wrong.

You are not wrong, it applies in Texas ,and Utah, Now the in ,and out in Utah not sure that works anymore here, it was years ago I did it .

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/20 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

No forms here in Utah , you trade in a vehicle ,they subtract the trade in value , you pay the sales tax on the difference not the purchase price of the new vehicle , thats done right at the dealer, and you are done ,and licensed .

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/05/20 02:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Exciting, isn't it !! !! I was floored the first tie I towed with discs back on my 08 KZ fifth Wheel...

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Disc Brakes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.