RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Insurance

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Insurance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
IDman

Oklahoma

Senior Member

Joined: 07/19/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/06/20 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you cancel, the return premium is not pro/rata, but is what insurance companies call short/rate. That is an enticement to NOT cancel mid-term. You will lose a few dollars and then you'll be yelling at your insurance agent.

ItsyRV

Desert SW

Senior Member

Joined: 10/02/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/06/20 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My insurance is so cheap compared to the cost of paying for covered things myself, it makes no sense to cancel my issuance. I also knew people who cancelled for these short term periods only to have issues with new rates or conditions when they went to reactivate.


1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.


riven1950

NC

Senior Member

Joined: 02/11/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/06/20 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When ours was up for renewal last fall I was facing Stem Cell Transplant and knew it would be sitting a while. We kept the comprehensive coverage but dropped Collision etc. we would need on the road. Cut premium in half. When we can camp again we can turn it back on.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

Senior Member

Joined: 03/01/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/06/20 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

riven1950 wrote:

When ours was up for renewal last fall I was facing Stem Cell Transplant and knew it would be sitting a while. We kept the comprehensive coverage but dropped Collision etc. we would need on the road. Cut premium in half. When we can camp again we can turn it back on.


Yup that is how my insurance man would do it for me if I asked him. That is why I have policy with a company that has a person that I can drive to and ask him questions.

I'm not a big fan of these internet companies that has no one you can meet face to face and talk to.

PamfromVA

Bedford County, VA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/22/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/06/20 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First off, we paid cash for our camper. Secondly, when sitting at your house, the homeowners policy covers any damage like storm or tree falling on it. When hooked up to your truck moving down the road, your car insurance covers it. The insurance for the camper is for when it is sitting at a campground or perhaps water damage from defective material. This was all discussed with the insurance company this morning. Therefore not needed since it will just be in our yard for the next six months.


2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs


Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Online
Posted: 04/06/20 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You must have great home and auto policies because we have what I feel to be very good policies and they don’t cover toys hooked to them or parked near them.


"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

Senior Member

Joined: 05/20/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/06/20 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PamfromVA wrote:

First off, we paid cash for our camper. Secondly, when sitting at your house, the homeowners policy covers any damage like storm or tree falling on it. When hooked up to your truck moving down the road, your car insurance covers it. The insurance for the camper is for when it is sitting at a campground or perhaps water damage from defective material. This was all discussed with the insurance company this morning. Therefore not needed since it will just be in our yard for the next six months.

Might be how your insurance works, not every one has the same type coverage. I'm sure my renters don't have home owners, I carry insurance on the structures, what there they own is not covered. To just cancel insurance with out discussion with an adgent you trust is not smart. It's all in the fine print.


2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold


travelnutz

West Michigan - On the Lakeshore

Senior Member

Joined: 04/09/2006

View Profile



Posted: 04/06/20 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV insurance is very cheap in our state unless it's motorized/self propelled. We have always bought our RV's new and always paid cash for them for 55 years now, so financinng rules couldn't even require the RV to be insured. However, we do keep full coverage on all our RV's 12 months each year and always have.

We also have and exercise the option of calling our insurance agent and having just storage insurance on any one of our vehicles/tow vehicles when we don't plan to be using them for X time, like for instance when we are in Florida for our ~2-1/2 months each year. Costs nothing for us to do and saves us a lot of $$$ each year.


A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

riven1950

NC

Senior Member

Joined: 02/11/2013

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/07/20 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie wrote:


Yup that is how my insurance man would do it for me if I asked him. That is why I have policy with a company that has a person that I can drive to and ask him questions.

I'm not a big fan of these internet companies that has no one you can meet face to face and talk to.



Actually my TT insurance is through an internet Company. Other insurance, except boat, is through Allstate which is a walk in Company but I hardly ever go there. Most conversations with them are usually by phone or Email. I prefer email, that way I have a written record of their answers.

mich800

Pontiac, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Posted: 04/07/20 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

travelnutz wrote:



We also have and exercise the option of calling our insurance agent and having just storage insurance on any one of our vehicles/tow vehicles when we don't plan to be using them for X time


You cannot do that in Michigan anymore. Unless the storage also includes the state minimum liability. They will cancel your plate now.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Insurance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.