|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Hardside that fits thru 8'x8' opening

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
bluegmc

Appleton, wi

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/20 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am interested if anyone has fit a hardside (Cirrus 720 - 820, Northern Lite 8.5Q, Laredo SC, etc) through an 8'x8' opening when off the truck. I moved recently and have a true 8x8 door opening for my garage door with no opener, so it opens up once through the door. A lot of the specs for some campers claim they are less than 8' tall and wide, but does that include the air conditioner shroud or ladder? Is this the body dimensions not including the jacks or on jacks? Interested in thoughts from those who have tried this, as my HOA will not allow a camper outside and I don't want to spend a monthly fee for off-site camper storage. Thanks in advance.

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HOAs can suck it. That's #1 on my deal breaker list for my next house. Do you have a dealer nearby you could take a tape measure to?

2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/20 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HOA's....Hahahahahahahahaha.....

joerg68

St. Ingbert, Germany

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/20 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The measurements you find are usually given without A/C on the roof and without jacks. To be really on the safe side, you should contact the manufacturer or measure an existing camper. Unless the specs clearly state what is included and what not. Even then...
My Northstar Arrow might just clear 8' in both dimensions. It is among the narrower offerings, and can be shipped in a shipping container - but will only fit through the container doors width without jacks.

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/20 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you consider that lowest TC is 72" inside, has raised nose, 3" floor, 2" roof, you might find 1 who makes 8' tall without AC.
The AC manufacturers are putting on RV units usually are 16" tall.
I have RV garage with 10' door and still can't fit my big camper in it even when dropping it on a cart.
That said, quote what exactly your HOA rules say?
I used to live in a city, who had ordinance saying "RVs need to be 80% covered from street view" Than they also had ordinance that front fence can't be taller than 5'
They chased me with motorhome, but lowered TC did pass.

* This post was edited 04/07/20 01:30pm by Kayteg1 *

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/20 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Throw a blanket on it.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/20 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are for sure going to have to tradeoff. I think you’d be better off with the lightest unit and probably popup that you can get by with. Even if the height/width fits, it’s going to be a pain to manuever.

If you are committed to a hardside or want an AC, consider a wall AC which will eliminate the height issue.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

RickW

Sacramento CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/20 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yea HOA's suck.

I managed to get a popup on a modified trailer into my garage. I had to remove the jacks to get it low enough to clear and then did not really have any clearance to do any maintenance or mods. Rented a space for a while until I moved from the HOA altogether.

Check around for storage options first. Some are indoor. Get the TC you want to use, not one that just fits in a box.

Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4
04 Sunlite SB

bluegmc

Appleton, wi

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/20 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for the advice, I will send some emails to Mfgers of the ones I am interested in and if that does not work look for storage options.

Lwiddis

Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/20 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Throw a blanket on it. P”

Supercharged, you may not be familiar with HOA boards. They spend their waking hours looking for violations! A blanket wouldn’t fool any of them.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Hardside that fits thru 8'x8' opening
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.