|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> And Texas Caves In

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 77  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ExxWhy

not here

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/20 01:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe some of you don't realize that large portions of the economy are still working. It's not just a few meatpacking plants. Think about this.

About 155 million people were employed in the US just prior to the shutdown. There have been 22 million unemployment claims. Let's guess there are an equal number of self employed out. If you reject that number, we'll use your number. So 44 million out of work, that means 111 million are still working! Many are working from home. Even at that, there are still millions of people out working. Will adding some percentage of workers back into the mix really overwhelm the medical system?

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/20 02:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

westernrvparkowner wrote:

Testing as a way to actually control the spread is a false promise.

Testing and contact tracing did work for Mers, SARS, and other infectious diseases. It may not for Covid-19 because of the higher R0 and the 1-2days of infectiousness prior to the onset of symptoms. It may still be the most humane way to open the economy.

What is your suggestion, open the economy and let “survival of the fittest (wealthiest)” control the outcome?
What's your suggestion, keep everything shut down for about 2 years until a vaccine is developed?

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/20 02:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ExxWhy wrote:

Maybe some of you don't realize that large portions of the economy are still working. It's not just a few meatpacking plants. Think about this.

About 155 million people were employed in the US just prior to the shutdown. There have been 22 million unemployment claims. Let's guess there are an equal number of self employed out. If you reject that number, we'll use your number. So 44 million out of work, that means 111 million are still working! Many are working from home. Even at that, there are still millions of people out working. Will adding some percentage of workers back into the mix really overwhelm the medical system?

To an already overwhelmed medical system? Yes. Exponential contraction is how contagions work and why quarantining is the proven method to slow it down. Is your thought a conspiracy that our scientists and governments want a shutdown for some political or monetary reason and not for health and safety and the ability for hospitals to keep up? And it's not just our own country, all countries are following pandemic protocol to slow the spread. Do you think this is all a hoax, that hospitals really aren't overrun and that releasing quarantines wouldn't cause a spike in cases and more deaths? And what politician would want that blood on their hands? And what workers do we allow to go back to work? Is there a hierarchy on safety or importance? Or a random percentage like a lottery? Is this by State?

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/20 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry barnhart wrote:

our old son had the flu. Wal mart fired him for missing work.

chevman
WM did him a favor. Time to move on to a company with better employee relations.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/20 02:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No one has suggested a two year shutdown except you. Bid time. Very dramatic!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/20 02:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

ExxWhy wrote:

To an already overwhelmed medical system? Yes. Exponential contraction is how contagions work and why quarantining is the proven method to slow it down. Is your thought a conspiracy that our scientists and governments want a shutdown for some political or monetary reason and not for health and safety and the ability for hospitals to keep up? And it's not just our own country, all countries are following pandemic protocol to slow the spread. Do you think this is all a hoax, that hospitals really aren't overrun and that releasing quarantines wouldn't cause a spike in cases and more deaths? And what politician would want that blood on their hands? And what workers do we allow to go back to work? Is there a hierarchy on safety or importance? Or a random percentage like a lottery? Is this by State?

way2exaggerate

Keeping the country on lockdown is going to create hardship, health problems, and even death for other people. Do you not care about them? Is it moral to cause harm to one group of innocent people to try to protect another group of people? To me it doesn't matter the size of the groups. You can't justify an immoral action based on numbers.

shelbyfv

TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/20 02:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's beyond tin hat to think any mayor or governor wants to shut anything down for longer than they believe is needed.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/20 02:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend sent this .......... think on buckoos
keep hearing people talk about how many deaths we have from auto accidents and the flu.... and how this is such bull that I can't buy this, or go there..... Do these people understand that they are quoting yearly statistics....and we have only had this pandemic for two months? Maybe 3?.... I am so confused at their issues and comparisons.....I don't want to see the yearly stats on this virus if we don't give up a little of our personal freedoms...Stay Home Stay Safe! Thank you to our Medical personnel, first res-ponders , people working barely over minimum wage jobs so I can get gas and food... God Bless.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/20 02:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shelbyfv wrote:

It's beyond tin hat to think any mayor or governor wants to shut anything down for longer than they believe is needed.

I agree but clearly there is a VERY wide definition of "believe is needed" and that's where the debate is.

tommyznr

NR, WI

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/20 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

tommyznr wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

I'm all for 100% testing. So far, less than 1/2 of one percent have been tested. It appears the virus may be more contagious before symptoms appear than after.

I'd love to self test with a sputum at home. I'd love to be one of the folks who had covid 19 with a weak response.

The Province of Saskatchewan has just 95 active cases and no one in intensive care--but the Premier has just extended the state of emergency by two weeks. I am happy he did so.

Can you provide some context here?

Does state of emergency include stay at home orders etc?

Does extending by two weeks mean two weeks from now or two weeks from some magical date in the near future?

The reason I ask is that the state of emergency in the US does not include stay at home orders. I suspect the state of emergency will go on far longer than the stay at home orders. Meaning, we will start having things open up and we will be allowed to go out but we will still be under a state of emergency.

As far a 100% testing goes, someone in this thread or another went over the logistics of that, back of a napkin type calculations. It is just not feasible with the current technology.

two weeks from April 15, 2020.

It is a Provincial Order (i.e. a State), not Federal.

It allows the discretion to go out for essential items but encourages folks to shelter in place. Unnecessary travel is to be avoided.

As far as testing, more is better. Saskatchewan has done 20k tests on a population of 1 million. Far too low in my opinion. DNA tests can be done locally now and take 1 hour. But what I truly want is a way to test myself.

I hope I answered your question of context adequately.

yes, that very much clears it up. I am happy to hear the start date is April 15 and not two additional weeks from say May 1 or another arbitrary date. It is reasonable without being over done. He can always add more later, it is more problematic to roll it back.

Tom

2017 GMC Sierra SLT, Max Tow package
2018 Grand Design Reflection 295RL

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 77  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> And Texas Caves In
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.