|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> CDC and the government may be loosening the lockdown

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 09:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guarantee you May 1 things are going to open up. If not CHITZ is going to hit the fan!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 10:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“ If Your Only Tool Is a Hammer Then Every Problem Looks Like a Nail”

Sort of like epidemiologists and quarantines.

This agenda is driven by the large cities that have a problem because of international travel compounded by multi story buildings with many small shared spaces like elevators and entrances. Small town America was never going to experience what NYC did. But if too many people come to that realization, well, the shine is gone from the apple. Plays havoc with the agenda that everyone should desert the small towns and suburbs and move to metropolis.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 10:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The United States is not under a lockdown. Even places like New York City, and some in California are not under a lockdown. I participate in some other forums with a more international membership/ focus. Some of the people are in Italy and Spain where going out to the grocery store is banned.

Yes, a lot people are out of work. But essential industries are still working, manufacturing is still working. Banks, drug stores, grocery stores, hardware stores are still working.

People are still selling and buying houses. And RV's. Fellow three spots over from me in the campground bought a golf cart and a boat within the past two weeks. Sure the dealers don't have the volume of customers they once had, but they are not shut down completely.

Another fellow took his Winnebago Tour over to the dealer today to have some warranty work done. Well be back tonight.

Factories are still open and working most places.

Tremendous numbers of people are working from home.

If anything, this situation has shown how fragile the 'great and wonderful strong economy' is. How many people in this country are not doing great with big paychecks and vast opportunities. That many Americans do live pay check to pay check, and our economy depends upon them to work for a minimalistic wage to make the rest of American to enjoy the abundant lifestyle.

The two biggest impacts are:

(1) Schools. Some places do not have the infrastructure to support remote teaching via computers. Many of those teachers and parents are getting creative with lesson plans, handouts and such so the teacher or parent can meet once a week to exchange completed work, and new assignments.

(2) Optional leisure activities. Restaurants. Okay, we don't eat out, but we get takeout now. Movie theaters. All kinds of entertainment and social gathering places. We should be at a Good Sam State Rally right now. And another one next week. The loss of social opportunities reminds me of the late 50's and early 60's when my parents spent almost all their evenings at home with the six children.

The lack of opportunities for social interaction does bother me. Frankly at my age and being retired, that's the biggest part of my life, and I miss it.

But it is an inconvenience, not an emergency.

Most of the complaints I see here are "I can't go have fun"

not "I'm being starved to death"

I assure you that our collective discomfort is much less important than many people who are finding themselves unable to feed their children today.

In general I find this forum a lot of "I want a T-bone, not a porterhouse' level of whining.

Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Terryallan wrote:

We all look at the numbers, and they are scary. Which is what they are designed to be. We are only now seeing them admit that the numbers are skewed to scare you. Every one that dies is being listed as dying from the the virus if they did or not. Notice heart attack deaths have disappeared, as have victims of strokes.

Now as of last report. The Gov is actually doing a study to determine how many have in reality died from the virus, and how many have died form natural causes. once the study is finished. There will be a drastic reduction in the real death rate of the virus. and the 98% survival rate will rise to a much higher survival rate.

Take that for what you want. But just realize you are being fed fake numbers to scare you.

Consider also that a significantly large percentage of the Covid deaths are folks who are older than the average life expectancy (18 of 38 in Oregon were over 80) and may already have been dying of something else. I read the daily news reports and other than 2 unconfirmed, all had “underlying medical conditions.” Why not protect and quarantine the most vulnerable and let most of the working class get back to working?

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 10:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PawPaw, good points you made there but you left off a BIG one for lots of us:
Going to church or worship services, particularly on one of the most important weeks of the year.

Our kids are doing well with with distance learning but attend a small private school and were getting good grades. I don’t know how everyone else is doing in their school. The “homework” my sister’s public school child was given was extremely dumbed down. The public schools are still working to get their feet under them a few weeks in. I am concerned about those students.

While there is plenty of personal whining on here, many are concerned about others who are not in the same position financially. I am working an engineering job from home with full pay yet I know there are plenty of others will be hurt in this. I have compassion but it’s not limited to the virus medical victims only.

I suspect these forums are a huge case of observation bias with a disproportionate number of retired, wealthier, older folks.

* This post was edited 04/09/20 10:38am by wnjj *

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/20 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

But it is an inconvenience, not an emergency.

Most of the complaints I see here are "I can't go have fun"

6,500,000 new unemployed in one month is not a mere inconvenience. Colorado cops just arrested a father for playing tee ball with his 6 year old daughter and his wife in an empty park. They did turn him loose after awhile and the mayor is begging forgiveness but that is a sign of the times. Millions of bankrupt businesses aren't an inconvenience either. This sound like a case of:
"My ox hasn't been gored so it must be OK."

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

True overreach by some when asking people seems to be working.

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 11:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

In general I find this forum a lot of "I want a T-bone, not a porterhouse' level of whining.

In general I find the people who want the stay at home orders are a bunch of cowards in bad health who are afraid of dying and they say "I don't care how much this hurts the future of my children and grandchildren, I want to live a few more months." And then they try to bash the non-stay at home people and sound morally superior.

Edit: By the way, I quit eating beef and pork about 40 years ago because I don't think it's very healthy for humans. My complaint would be "I want salmon, not trout." But since I saved my money I have salmon in my freezer, so go ahead and wreck the economy. It won't ruin my life. Just your kids' lives.

* This post was edited 04/09/20 11:25am by DallasSteve *

PawPaw_n_Gram

On the Road Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 11:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My ox has been gored. It's my family that is hurting.

Many of the same people complaining here about the hourly workers, are the same ones who a few years ago called that granddaughter stupid and useless on this forum. Because of my rant about how it is impossible for most young people from working class families to go to college and not end up with near $100,000 of moderately high interest debt.

She had plenty of scholarships and grants, but when the total numbers were added up, there was still $20,000-25,000 necessary per year to go to school. Because her mother and father (divorced) families had a combined total income of near $100,000 per year. So she was 'too rich' to get lowest interest loans and large grants.

Or that I was stupid because I had not save enough money to fund all my grandchildren's college fully.

Frankly many of the individuals I see worried about the hourly workers, are the same ones who have called for lower minimum wages, less of social safety net, etc.

I find it sad and sickening that FoxNews commentators are complaining about the 'millions' of hourly workers choosing to leave their jobs because unemployment is paying them to do nothing.

I'm not saying I want the stay at home orders. I'm saying I understand why they are necessary. And stay at home orders do not mean you cannot go to the grocery store, the hardware store, to pick-up takeout from a restaurant, etc.

------------------------------------------------------

Yes, Worship is severely impacted. I would say that many people have found options to continue their religious activities, but will miss the social interaction of Holy Week. But how I or you choose to exercise your religious faith is a personal thing. Beyond my right to comment. Except I will say your faith in the Lord will see you through this tough time.

I just finished explaining to a fellow from India on another forum that yes some churches in the US will have difficult financial problems due to the social distancing. The small First Baptist Church in my home town of less than 500 may well fail. Because they are the only church in the town with a full-time pastor.

The other three churches will survive and several small congregation Baptist churches in the area will survive. Because their pastors all work full-time jobs. The lumber companies are still buying, and harvesting timber. The few farmers are still working their fields, and harvesting early crops.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

PawPaw_n_Gram wrote:

In general I find the people who want the stay at home orders are a bunch of cowards in bad health who are afraid of dying and they say "I don't care how much this hurts the future of my children and grandchildren, I want to live a few more months." And then they try to bash the non-stay at home people and sound morally superior.

Edit: By the way, I quit eating beef and pork about 40 years ago because I don't think it's very healthy for humans. My complaint would be "I want salmon, not trout." But since I saved my money I have salmon in my freezer, so go ahead and wreck the economy. It won't ruin my life. Just your kids' lives.

Dallas Steve,stop spouting rhetoric. Where is your evidence that the economy is ruined, let alone for your kids, or grandchildren? Plenty of evidence to support the governmental efforts to keep more masses from dying, but I have seen countless posts by you preferring death to economic impact, but where's your proof? You want to convince people you have any idea what you are spouting off about, then provide the data to support it.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> CDC and the government may be loosening the lockdown
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.