|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Which Roadside Assistance to select this year

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
mowingman

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/20 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It has come time to renew my Good Sam Roadside Assistance plan. However, you now have to pay $149.95 for their Platinum Plan to get coverage for a 5th wheel trailer.
I noticed that our Texas AAA has a Premier Plan for $116.00 that seems to cover your vehicles and your RV.
Who do you use for a roadside assistance plan? Anyone tried the AAA plan? How easy is it to get AAA out if needed, as opposed to Good Sam?
Thanks,
Jeff

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/20 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t have a fifth wheel but here’s my input. I bought my Newmar brand new and it came with 5 years of RSS from Ford. It just turned four. At the end of year five, I will add RSS coverage to my Progressive insurance policy. I think it’s about $50 a year. I had it on a previous MH and had to call them once. They did fine. My auto insurance company also offers RSS and it’s dirt cheap and I signed up for it on both our daily drivers.

One thing to consider. If you break down in a metropolitan area there may be competing tow companies so the RSS sellers may have more than one to pick from. If you need them in a remote area, there may only be one to choose from which they will all use.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/20 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've heard too many RSA horror stories for me to ever subscribe to a particular plan. My Farmer's agent tells me to pay for the tow, tire change, etc and Farmer's will reimburse me. Sounds like a plan.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely none. I've need RSA once in 30+ years of RVing.
I am money ahead even if I need service down the road. I admit I have the luxury of being able to change my own tires though and I understand that some have physical limitations making that impossible.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

4aSong

Northwest Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have used Coach Net and been satified. Previously had Good Sam but after numerous bad experiences of getting roadside service switched.

We are at the age where changing a tire, etc. is something we don't want to try and do on the side of a major highway that's why roadside assistance is necessary.

* This post was edited 04/09/20 01:47pm by 4aSong *

M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
Lance Model 1985 - The Kramalot Inn
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have towing on my RV and Tow vehicle thru my auto insurance. Towing coverage is dirt cheap, truly don't understand buying GoodSam, AAA etc???

* This post was edited 04/09/20 12:09pm by Cummins12V98 *

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Absolutely none. I've need RSA once in 30+ years of RVing.
I am money ahead even if I need service down the road. I admit I have the luxury of being able to change my own tires though and I understand that some have physical limitations making that impossible.

RSA is an insurance policy or like an extended warranty. It depends on a multitude of factors, but barring physical inability coupled with a high propensity for issues (maybe one has an old bomber with old tires and a bad transmission, but budgets repairs as they are necessary, not pre-emptively), RSA is not generally a good ROI.

BUT back in college, I was (poor) snow plowing, contract plowing with an old beat up Blazer. I knew that thing would be on the end of a tow truck more than once. Bought a year of AAA RSA with towing to cover getting it home. Best $100 I ever spent. But if any of my newer or well maintained vehicles caused me to feel I'd need RSA, I'd be changing it out for something else to drive.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

lhenry8113

Cypress or Lake Arrowhead, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/20 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We now have a Class C RV so would need assistance changing tires, etc.-we do carry a spare. Carry AAA RV Roadside Assistance. We travel distances and figure AAA is pretty much available everywhere in U.S.

2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE
Mustang Hollow Campground, Mathis, TX. Corpus Christi-Lake Corpus Christi

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

mowingman

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/09/20 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I have heard quite a few bad stories about good Sam roadside assistance. However, I don't think I want to try changing tires along the side of the road anymore. I am going to call my State Farm agent and see what they offer since I have my RV insurance there. AAA is my other option I think.

spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 04/09/20 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I have towing on my RV and Tow vehicle thru my auto insurance. Towing coverage is dirt cheap, truly don't understand buying GoodSam, AAA etc???

Why? Because most insurance companies don't have the option of purchasing Roadside Assistance. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Which Roadside Assistance to select this year
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.