|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Entrance steps won't go out

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/20 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thelazyl wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

thelazyl wrote:

I had this exact same symptom last month. I lubricated the joints and it resolved.

I doubt that. IF the steps do NOT move lubing will not help. You had a symptom, but NOT the same fault. Doug

I don't want to stomp on the OP's thread .. but as a relative newbie I am hoping you will elaborate so I can learn. By "same symptom" I mean the steps would not move but I could hear a "clunk clunk" like they were trying to. I checked electrical connections and the door switches. I then lubricated the hinges and the problem resolved. That was 2 weeks ago and has been consistent since. In a few weeks we hope to start a long trip - is there another type of diagnostic you recommend?

Clunk Clunk is a totally different sound from Click Click[emoticon] Obviously you had rusted linkages. The OP was hearing a tiny Click when the relay inside the control module sent power to the step motor. As you found out, Cleaning and Lubing the step linkages will keep the steps operating for years. Doug

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/20 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had this problem with our Kwikee steps. The steps stopped deploying. The way to check it was to unbolt the motor, then open and close the door to see if the motor turns back and forth.

Ours did turn back and forth and the steps worked again after bolting the motor back in.

I concluded it was a lubrication problem and had been missing a joint. I keep the steps well lubed with Kwikee Kwik-lube and haven’t had a problem since.

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/20 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Again. I'm 99% certain that the problem is not lub related. If it were I would see or hear the steps attempt to move. I do not. A lub problem is not a sudden failure in most cases. It had been only a few days since the steps were working perfectly with no rubbing or grinding associated with a lack of lubricant.

When I get time I will roll up onto blocks so I can check all the nasty looking wires and connectors. If this inspection doesn't expose a problem I will see if the motor is getting power when it is supposed to. Once the motor is disconnected I can test the armature and field circuits.

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/20 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let us know what happens after you smack the step motor with a hammer.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/20 10:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mikestock wrote:

Again. I'm 99% certain that the problem is not lub related. If it were I would see or hear the steps attempt to move. I do not. A lub problem is not a sudden failure in most cases. It had been only a few days since the steps were working perfectly with no rubbing or grinding associated with a lack of lubricant.

When I get time I will roll up onto blocks so I can check all the nasty looking wires and connectors. If this inspection doesn't expose a problem I will see if the motor is getting power when it is supposed to. Once the motor is disconnected I can test the armature and field circuits.

I thought the same thing too, there was no noise. But the controller has an over-current protect so it will not supply unlimited current to the motor if the steps are jammed. My experience was exactly the same, the steps worked perfectly, then they didn’t.

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/20 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As usual, another conundrum. The motor looks like nothing I've encountered before. I would love to tear into it but that would be looking the gift horse.... I finally ran the front end up onto blocks so I could get under it. I checked the power source, tapped on the motor and it worked. I went ahead and lubricated all the joints. I cycled it over and over but it continued to work perfectly. I'm sure there's a dead spot in the motor but we'll continue, as is until it fails again. Guess we'll keep a step stool handy.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/20 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mikestock wrote:

As usual, another conundrum. The motor looks like nothing I've encountered before. I would love to tear into it but that would be looking the gift horse.... I finally ran the front end up onto blocks so I could get under it. I checked the power source, tapped on the motor and it worked. I went ahead and lubricated all the joints. I cycled it over and over but it continued to work perfectly. I'm sure there's a dead spot in the motor but we'll continue, as is until it fails again. Guess we'll keep a step stool handy.

If you look at it, replacing the motor is easy when the steps are extended. The Motor WILL FAIL again and odds are it will fail when retracted, making it a chore to hopefully get it to operate to extend to replace the motor. Get a new motor and have it handy when the motor fails again. Doug

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/20 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug, You're probably right. It will likely fail again. I would like to take it apart and see what I can see but don't want to without another one handy. I see what you mean about the difficulty in removing the motor with the steps up.

Looks like I can get one for just under $100 with shipping, etc.

I'm just about to spend $2800 to repair sun damage to the driver's side where the afternoon sun hits. We really need to sell out. My wife's health is making it difficult to travel far from home but she is determined to hold onto it. Between storage cost, taxes, insurance, and these constant problems it is hardly worth it but it keeps her happy knowing it's there. See PM.

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/20 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A search for Dorman 742-206 on RockAuto returns Dorman 742277 as the current replacement. You'll need to cut the wires on both motors and put the old connector on the new motor with some butt splices. The motor itself is held in with 3 bolts. Easy swap.

RockAuto Listing for Dorman 742277 Window Lift Motor

https://www.rockauto.com/info/42/742-277-010__ra_p.jpg

[image]

Topic: Replacement motor for Kwikee steps

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/20 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

A search for Dorman 742-206 on RockAuto returns Dorman 742277 as the current replacement. You'll need to cut the wires on both motors and put the old connector on the new motor with some butt splices. The motor itself is held in with 3 bolts. Easy swap.

RockAuto Listing for Dorman 742277 Window Lift Motor

https://www.rockauto.com/info/42/742-277-010__ra_p.jpg

[image]

Topic: Replacement motor for Kwikee steps

Great find. That is less than half the price from eTrailer. Looks like the armature shaft might be different. Sounds like you did the repair yourself. Is the shaft the same as the one you removed or did that issue have to be addressed? If the wiring harness is the only difference that won't be a problem.

I took pictures of the labels today. I'll have to go back and get more information and pictures tomorrow before I order it. Looks like I could maybe swap armatures if necessary, but that may mean I'm bringing the old problem along, to the new motor.

* This post was edited 04/14/20 09:02pm by mikestock *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Entrance steps won't go out
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.