|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Entrance steps won't go out

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/20 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My memory is a little foggy about exactly what I did to make it work. I may have had to remove the snapring to swap the gears but I'm not certain. It worked great. If the steps go the wrong way, just reverse the wires to fix it. I replaced the motor on a friend's steps. A few months later he showed up to an outing with our group and said they stopped working again. When I took the motor off and opened it up, I found the remains of the 3 plastic disks that should work as shock absorbers had turned to powder. I cleaned them out and reused the ones from the original motor. They were still working when he sold it. Never did figure out what happened that made them pulverize like they did.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/20 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

After removing the old drive unit and opening it up I see that the shaft is in the center of a worm gear. The little silver box on the left is the motor and the armature is a worm. The motor may be the only part I will use. From the picture, the worm gear shaft may be a little different from the one in my old drive.

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/20 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why go to that trouble when the whole unit bolts in with 3 screws. No need to even open up the worm drive section. Just change the gear on the output shaft and bolt it in. Take a look when the replacement arrives.

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

Why go to that trouble when the whole unit bolts in with 3 screws. No need to even open up the worm drive section. Just change the gear on the output shaft and bolt it in. Take a look when the replacement arrives.

The output drive gear is much different and the old gear which is larger than the new one. The old output shaft is larger and has two flats to turn the gear. The new shaft is much smaller and totally different. The worm gear which is the driven gear with the output shaft in the center has 360-degree teeth. The worm gear in the old one only has teeth about 1/4 of the circumference. I guess this is where the motor stops and the steps are correctly positioned up or down.

This is when I decided to just change out the motor.

The motor armature shaft is the worm and the worm spiral is about 1/2" out of position which prevents just swapping out the motor. Now it looks like I will be using the old armature and shaft (worm). The only new parts I will have are the motor housing with permanent magnets and a new brush holder with brushes. Four shiny new screws to hold the motor.

If you have KwiKee steps on your motorhome and need to replace the motor and you’re thinking of trying a power window drive from Rockauto…………DON'T.

* This post was last edited 04/19/20 06:21pm by mikestock *   View edit history

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At last I got the steps working again. As it turned out the only part of the new assembly I was able to use wes the brush holder with brushes. The motor housing, although it looked like it would work, got bound up when I attached it to the ring gear housing. It probably failed originally because a brush wasn't making contact until I tapped on it with a hammer so the brushes may actually solve the problem.

At any rate, I may have saved $50 or so. It my travel time and effort are valued at about $10/hr I guess I broke even.

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/20 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to have led you astray Mike. Your experience sounds much different than mine. The teeth on the ring gear on both the old and new went all the way around. I used the whole new assembly except for the drive gear which came of easily. The output shaft on both assemblies was the same size and so the gear fit.

mikestock

Vestavia Hills, AL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/20 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After my first trip in the RV, it failed again. I will go ahead and do what I should have done, to begin with.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/20 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my OE motor from Amazon. It was around $100. Mine had a broken gear. It would clunk when opening and then just stopped and you could hear he motor just run.
I wouldn't put in an aftermarket motor in something that was relied on like power steps!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/20 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mikestock wrote:

After my first trip in the RV, it failed again. I will go ahead and do what I should have done, to begin with.

Mike you had the time and curiosity to try all things. At $150 per hour, It would be foolish for me to attempt what you did[emoticon] What IS interesting, is, since Kwikee has become the default step maker in the past 4 years, The incidence of bad spots in motors has increased, even Steps less than 1 year old. I attribute this to Cheaper components from China that LCI has contracted with. Before, It took years to cause a bad spot in an Armature. And, usually, was caused by lack of maintenance and the binding/rusted step linkages made the motor heat up and work harder which caused the Armature system to fail. Doug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Entrance steps won't go out
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.