RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How to order a 3500 to maximize payload?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> How to order a 3500 to maximize payload?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/20 06:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chevy offers a heavy duty front axle. That's about it. All other options are mostly creature comforts.
I buy brand new trucks with rubber floors and vinyl seats because I use them for work and recreation. The recreation usually also involves wet clothes (from boating) along with dirt and mud. I'd love to be able to find used ones built like that but they don't really exist. I can usually buy a new truck built the way I want for less money than several year old trucks with the higher levels of trim.
Have you looked at the Chevy work truck trim level? It is a lot less expensive and can still be optioned with power windows, locks, cruise, etc. for not that much more money.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/20 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Power window are 30 lbs per window. Carpet probably 10-20 lbs. Cruise all of 1-2 lbs. A full on leather pkg can add upwards of 1000 lbs to a crew cab! Diesel 800-1200 lbs over a gas rig. Auto 50-100 lbs over manual trans.....

I would not say add ons do not change payload much. My current reg cab C2500 has all of 300 lbs less payload per the door sticker than my 05 CC dually dmax. I know of another person that had a full leather pkg, he has/had less payload than my C2500. This is per the door sticker amount! Not talking FBL amount! Then there is a 12K gvw difference between the C2500 and the DW rigs!

marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/20 01:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

You did say "...should I order to maximize payload..."

Then order ZERO bling options

Just a manual (if not available, then an automatic), AC, Tow package, plain Jane interior.

Maybe a radio. No power door locks, no power windows, etc

First line, yes.
Next 3 lines....roflmao! Check your calendar, it's 2020, not 2002 or 1992.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/20 01:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Marty and Ben, you've lost your marbles.
4500 for a little camper that could go on a 3-4 ton?

OP, stop reading too much on weightcop.net (rvnet). Get the truck you want and don't be a narcissit about weight. Seriously.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/20 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

OP, stop reading too much on weightcop.net (rvnet). Get the truck you want and don't be a narcissit about weight. Seriously.

LOL
I'm just pointing out what said options weigh. How they effect what the OP wants to order. As noted, my 3/4 ton has the same approximate door sticker payload as my one ton dually with an almighty dmax in it! both about 2 tons. Of course we can get into the RV.net weight police mode, or the marty do anything up to max FBL weight limit, but get screwed because you can stop doing the field test for braking......

If the OP wants the most payload for a given truck chassis, do not order options! or as few as possible.

Marty

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/20 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The LT offers dual climate control and bucket front seats (saves a 150lbs because it removes a seating position) and those 2 options are not available on the WT. I did spec out both the LT and WT and there wasn't a significant difference in price. I personally like the appearance of the WT better. The 1T SRW is plenty of truck to meet my needs. It will be a gas super cab LWB.

Air bags and 19.5" tires are in the mix.

* This post was edited 04/13/20 09:24am by cptqueeg *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/20 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

LOL
I'm just pointing out what said options weigh. How they effect what the OP wants to order. As noted, my 3/4 ton has the same approximate door sticker payload as my one ton dually with an almighty dmax in it! both about 2 tons. Of course we can get into the RV.net weight police mode, or the marty do anything up to max FBL weight limit, but get screwed because you can stop doing the field test for braking......

If the OP wants the most payload for a given truck chassis, do not order options! or as few as possible.

Marty

Haha, sorry man. I know your views on this, but the rvnet bandwagon will have him in a class 4 truck in 2 shakes of a lambs tail all on their own!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/20 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

The LT offers dual climate control and bucket front seats (saves a 150lbs because it removes a seating position) and those 2 options are not available on the WT. I did spec out both the LT and WT and there wasn't a significant difference in price. I personally like the appearance of the WT better. The 1T SRW is plenty of truck to meet my needs. It will be a gas super cab LWB.

Air bags and 19.5" tires are in the mix.

You're correct, a 1 ton SRW is very appropriate for that camper.
Depending on % of miles with camper on vs running empty, air bags or another suspension mod may be appropriate. In any case, I wouldn't do mods until the camper's on and loaded up. Then decide that. It won't even squat a lot hauling the camper home.
Same with 19.5s. Personally I wouldn't even consider them in your scenario, at all, ever, but they may be somewhat justifiable if essentially a full time camper hauler....just a little bit.

C.B.

APPLETON WI USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/20 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Paul

Get a dually and don't worry about payload!

Totally agree. don't reinvent the wheel.

Dually chassis cab with aluminum bed.

C.B.

CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/20 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

How to order a 3500 to maximize payload?

Use the ordering guide from GM. clicky link

GM has a weights calculator that gives weights for std packages and any added options.
Play around with it and see how easy it is to configure the truck you want and see how much load each axle carries. That way you can use the GVWR based payload method or the RAWR based payload method.

Keep in mind some std equipment packages varies with a WT or LT of LTZ or high country in the same 3500 cab/drive train selections.

Like I said spend some time with. For some reason the weights calculator is usually one year behind current year models so you will have to use it for 2020 models.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> How to order a 3500 to maximize payload?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.