RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Question on Lippert 3 Auto leveling system

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Question on Lippert 3 Auto leveling system

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
dpgllg

South West Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/20 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

I have a 2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th wheel. I has the Lippert 3.0 auto leveling system. My problem is that when I park the 5th wheel in my driveway I cannot lower the front end back so that I can hitch up. I was able to unhitch without any trouble but the king pin is about 6 inches or so above my hitch when I go to hitch up again. My driveway does slope from the house down towards the road.

What am I doing wrong? I've tried putting 1 foot high pads under the front jacks and that made it worse. This has happened three times causing me to put down a bunch of boards to back the truck on to meet the king pin.

I keep getting an error that the front legs cannot lower any further. But I was able to unhitch and raise the 5th wheel to level.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Dave

2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

CarnationSailor

Carnation,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/20 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you using the manual mode to raise the front jack's in order to lower the front of the trailer?

2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Likes to tow

Huntington WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/20 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

on my 2017 Reflection 27RL I just push the "Retract" button then push the "front" button..........and down she comes. I guess mine is the Lippert 3.0

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/20 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When going to hitch up are you pushing retract all, then hitch height?

* This post was edited 04/13/20 07:08pm by garyp4951 *

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 04/12/20 05:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a fault in the Lippert software for their Auto Leveling systems.
We've had it happen to our Hydraulic system, it will let the legs go down and level, but when you go to retract it will start that give an error that the angle is to great.
Talked to the Lippert Hydraulic expert and he told me to put the system into the Calibrate mode and I could retract the legs. So if your 3.0 Electric system has a Calibration mode you could try it.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

WE-C-USA

NW Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/12/20 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once the trailer is raised to/& disconnected, the auto reconnect will not work if you use anything but the Auto Level. So if you lower/raise the front after disconnecting, you have to use the manual mode to get the height back to hook back up.
Once the truck is pulled away, hit Auto Level. Than it will return using Auto Reconnect.

Frank & PJ
2004 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

dpgllg

South West Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP Here,

I'll try and answer all of the questions raised

"Are you using the manual mode to raise the front jack's in order to lower the front of the trailer?"

"When going to hitch up are you pushing retract all, then hitch hight?"

What I have been doing is selecting retract then rear. After they are raised I then select retract and then the front. The front does retract but not far enough and I get that error message.

"There is a fault in the Lippert software for their Auto Leveling systems.
We've had it happen to our Hydraulic system, it will let the legs go down and level, but when you go to retract it will start that give an error that the angle is to great.
Talked to the Lippert Hydraulic expert and he told me to put the system into the Calibrate mode and I could retract the legs. So if your 3.0 Electric system has a Calibration mode you could try it."

According to what I have read online the calibration is to be used AFTER you have leveled the RV. It resets the auto level. It does not allow you to raise or lower any jacks.

"Once the trailer is raised to/& disconnected, the auto reconnect will not work if you use anything but the Auto Level. So if you lower/raise the front after disconnecting, you have to use the manual mode to get the height back to hook back up.
Once the truck is pulled away, hit Auto Level. Than it will return using Auto Reconnect."

I was not attempting to use the auto reconnect feature. I was just trying to retract the front jacks.

Dave

CarnationSailor

Carnation,WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't be concerned about what the normal operation of Calibrate is. It appears that Lippert has suggested a workaround for a know software glitch. Give it a try.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/20 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure which LCI system I have, but I tried using the hitch height feature on 2 occasions and neither time it worked properly; no way to rehitch without manually adjusting the legs. So, I just hitch manually. (Shrug) It levels properly and retracts with the push of a button. All I need it to do.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/20 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Not sure which LCI system I have, but I tried using the hitch height feature on 2 occasions and neither time it worked properly; no way to rehitch without manually adjusting the legs. So, I just hitch manually. (Shrug) It levels properly and retracts with the push of a button. All I need it to do.

Lyle

When you have all jacks down how are you raising them before manually lifting the front?

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Question on Lippert 3 Auto leveling system
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.