RV.Net Open Roads Forum: The camping industry is going to be hit hard

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > The camping industry is going to be hit hard

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 21  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bid_time

Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 08/18/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/16/20 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shelbyfv wrote:

bid_time wrote:

shelbyfv wrote:

GDS-3950BH wrote:

Seems like going into an economic depression is a high price to pay.
I think we have to remember to blame the virus for the economic hit rather than imagine all would be well if the governors had not acted. Most of what has closed here in TN would have closed anyway due to lack of customers. Even here there aren't enough stupid folks to keep bars and nail salons in business with the virus circulating around.
Good luck selling that hogwash. There's a difference between reacting, over reacting, and hyperventilation. Most of of us are smart enough to see the difference.
Are you saying there are enough stupid people to keep bars and nail salons open or that the few "non essential" businesses would not have suffered anyway? I think my original statement can stand on its own but since you brought it up, there is a documented 99% chance that I'm smarter than you are. [emoticon] [emoticon]
Now that was funny, best laugh I've had today.





shelbyfv

TN

Senior Member

Joined: 02/18/2006

View Profile



Posted: 04/16/20 06:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're welcome![emoticon]





valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 04/17/20 05:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shelbyfv wrote:

I think we have to remember to blame the virus for the economic hit rather than imagine all would be well if the governors had not acted.


In the immediate term, I agree. They didn't know what was going on, so shutting down till they could get a handle on what was happening...makes perfect sense.

At this point, the fact that we don't have a plan of action to move forward...that's on the politicians. Throwing imaginary money at the problem won't solve anything. Lockdowns that last years are not viable.

We need to be segregating the population so that those who are at low risk can get out and restart the economy.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er


valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 04/17/20 05:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Do y’all realize the vast majority of people are still working???


Unemployment numbers are a lagging statistic. Plus:
- Unemployment agencies can't process all the applications leading to lower than actual numbers.
- Many are on reduced hours.
- Many have taken large pay cuts.
- Businesses are going bankrupt...may take a couple more months before it really takes off.

MattFromPA

Harrisburg, PA

New Member

Joined: 05/30/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 04/17/20 06:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shelbyfv wrote:

Correct! All this hysteria about killing the economy. When this is over people are going to want stuff just like they did before and someone will be there to sell it to them[emoticon]


I hope. The pressure to return to normal will be become too great to resist, and we're going to have a resurgence of the virus. But, if this lockdown goes on much longer there won't be any businesses left to patronize - for those still working and have money.

Good chance of a double nightmare after the progress made in flattening the curve - a major resurgence and a broken economy. More Monopoly money will have to be thrown at this from Washington, and we just hope it doesn't lead to hyperinflation.

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/17/20 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Do y’all realize the vast majority of people are still working???


Unemployment numbers are a lagging statistic. Plus:
- Unemployment agencies can't process all the applications leading to lower than actual numbers.
- Many are on reduced hours.
- Many have taken large pay cuts.
- Businesses are going bankrupt...may take a couple more months before it really takes off.


Don't see you denying what I said.


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mich800

Pontiac, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Posted: 04/17/20 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Do y’all realize the vast majority of people are still working???


Unemployment numbers are a lagging statistic. Plus:
- Unemployment agencies can't process all the applications leading to lower than actual numbers.
- Many are on reduced hours.
- Many have taken large pay cuts.
- Businesses are going bankrupt...may take a couple more months before it really takes off.


Don't see you denying what I said.


But a very arrogant and out of touch comment. With rates approaching high teens in some states you think business as usual.

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/17/20 09:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mich800 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Do y’all realize the vast majority of people are still working???


Unemployment numbers are a lagging statistic. Plus:
- Unemployment agencies can't process all the applications leading to lower than actual numbers.
- Many are on reduced hours.
- Many have taken large pay cuts.
- Businesses are going bankrupt...may take a couple more months before it really takes off.


Don't see you denying what I said.


But a very arrogant and out of touch comment. With rates approaching high teens in some states you think business as usual.


PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH. NEVER said business as usual.

Nothing "ARROGANT" about it.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

Senior Member

Joined: 09/17/2003

View Profile



Posted: 04/17/20 11:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

90% still working? Maybe if one ignores the fact that unemployment offices can't keep up, that "unemployment" doesn't factor in business owners who are out of business, that unemployment is a lagging indicator, and that "unemployment" doesn't reflect "underemployment" or reduced hours.

Let me pick 10 folks in my family and friends;

M, T, C, and J: Yep, this 40% is still working (either government or quasi-government employees), although remotely or in the case of C, at a base 37.5 hours per week vs. the 37.5 + 25 OT that normally takes place in his work.

L, K, and D: All completely out of work (hunting guide...hunting is banned for out-of-staters; waitress, and bartender)

T2, L2, and R: Working at about 10% (T2 is an export ship loader, not much of that happening now, his hours and pay is reduced to that 10%; L2 is a flight attendant, her airline is now flying at about 30% of what it was...she made it through the 30%, then 50% cuts but not now; has had 4 trips since about Mar. 20; R is a process server...since the courts are essentially shut down except for criminal matters, he's basically S.O.L. although he's had some FED work, but that will end with the next ban scheduled for 5:00 this afternoon).

...and all of the above have kids to support, mortgages to pay, and retirements to build.


CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/17/20 11:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Us Labor statistics. 1/1/2020 164,606,000 workforce. Out of work now 22,000,000. Percentage of workforce out of work = .13%

87% of workforce is still working based on latest numbers.

BETTER ??????

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 21  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > The camping industry is going to be hit hard
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.