RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Cost to install apparatus for Flat-towing

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Cost to install apparatus for Flat-towing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
obiwancanoli

Napa

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/20 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I've had and used a Tow Dolly for a couple years, I've always found it inconvenient, requiring me to have storage when not in use. As a result, been considering replacing this with a towing apparatus for my Class A, and called Camping World to research, and get an estimate...

WHOA!

At $5,400+, it was quite a bit more than I anticipated... but is it accurate? Looking for input, experience, and anything else that will help me decide if this is an option I should consider...

At this price, I think I'd continue with the dolly...

Your thoughts?

Thanks, MIchael

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/20 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We need a little more info. I towed a Chevrolet HHR, that was rated for towing 4 down, and all I had to do was install a tow bracket on the vehicle, set up the tail lights, and buy a tow bar to use. I believe my total cost was around $1200.
If your vehicle is not rated for towing 4 down, there may be some additional costs for a disconnect for your driveshaft in addition to the cost for the tow bracket, lights, and tow bar.

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/20 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You chose one of the most expensive places you could to buy and install the needed parts. Check amazon or other rv parts suppliers for parts and get a local body shop to install.
I bought everything I needed and installed myself for less than $1K.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/20 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you buying everything new? I bought a used ReadyBrute that looked brand new for $250. Had Night Shift Auto go through it at a rally and they said it'd hardly been used. Bought the baseplate directly from BlueOx for a little over $300. Wiring harness was around $200. So for less than $1k I'm ready to roll. I've been using it for 11 years now and it's still working well. So, I'm into it for less than $100/yr.....Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Eleven Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/20 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you’re just starting out, take a look at the Ready Brute Elite towbar and brake combination. Ready Brute

If I had not already purchased my towbar, aux braking system I would have gone with them. I did dump my portable braking system for their Ready Brake.

The dealer service centers should be able to help you with a baseplate too.

Also, I’ve had CW install the base plate on two different cars and they did a good job. One thing to watch for is they frequently have good deals on complete towing packages. Much less than the $5,400. If you compare prices make sure you’re comparing equal packages.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/20 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Executive wrote:

Are you buying everything new? I bought a used ReadyBrute that looked brand new for $250. Had Night Shift Auto go through it at a rally and they said it'd hardly been used. Bought the baseplate directly from BlueOx for a little over $300. Wiring harness was around $200. So for less than $1k I'm ready to roll. I've been using it for 11 years now and it's still working well. So, I'm into it for less than $100/yr.....Dennis

You don't mention a brake system. Did you do anything for that? What was the cost on that? I suppose you can say your $1K makes it towable, but for me I would need a braking system.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/20 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, all new your looking around $5k
If you don’t mind buying used and know what you are looking at it can be much more reasonable. The only thing you would need to buy new would be the baseplate and wiring.

Just like Executive, I bought a used Roadmaster tow bar and an older VIP brake system for $300. looked like new! I just bought the baseplate and wiring to hookup the lights. I did all the install myself.

I would shop around. I work at a Chrysler Jeep Ram Dodge dealer and we install baseplates and wiring. I can’t remember the price but we are reasonable with The local RV dealers.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/20 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Define "apparatus". We don't know your car so it depends on what is needed. Can the car be flat towed in it's stock state or is a modification like a disconnect required? Base plates can be a bit more labor to install on one car vs the other. What brand of bars? What type of braking system? Lots of variables that change the price.

If you are handy and know what you need and how to install base plates, bars and aux brake, even if buying new, you can get away with less than half of what you are quoted.

Dealership is going to gouge you on labor and probably markup on equipment. It's the last place I'd go to have it installed.

I installed ready Elite Brute bars with an integrated brake, with blue ox base plates and lights on our CRV in about 4 hours. Total cost was less than $2k. But I had to completely remove the front of the car, drill through the frame, run cables and lights through the firewall etc. I can see where if I took it to a dealership the cost would be at least 2x what it cost me to do it myself.

2020 F350 STX
2020 FR Cedar Ridge Silverback 29rw

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/20 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Somewhere around the $5,000.00 figure is what we paid in 06 for A Roadmaster sterling Tow Barand wiring, and sub frame mount for a Saturn, plus air brake. Roadmaster only sells to Retailers unfortunately except for some small parts I think I understand now and prices are fair traded. If I had done it a few years earlier when able to do it myself I could have saved about $2500.00. Changeover to an Edge was about $1500.00 in 2010 and same in 2013, and this year I'm not sure.
Camping World did the first thee installs.
There is only two or three others that4 do that kind of install around our area and they might be a few dollars cheaper. In larger markets I'm pretty sure you could save $1500.00, I think. Oh and our price first timem included a shield fro front of the car.

ocean bound

plains Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/20 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First try looking for a used towbar and other equipment That will make it more economical And then try a local garage for the installation of the base plate and other things I bought my tow bar used and bought the baseplate off roadmaster and installed myself my cost was just about $1000 Then 500 for a break buddy

Allen&carrie 2006 georgetown XL359 37ft

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Cost to install apparatus for Flat-towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.