RV.Net Open Roads Forum: HOA says NO to temp RV for Dr.

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > HOA says NO to temp RV for Dr.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jfkmk

NJ

Senior Member

Joined: 10/28/2011

View Profile



Posted: 04/18/20 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

jfkmk wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

However, in a development as such, I would almost always view the HOA as a definite plus. When it comes time for me to sell, I don't want the 6 cars in my neighbors front yard, the 12" tall grass, the refrigerator on the front porch, or his dilapidated storage shed to have a bearing on the value of my home.


Unfortunately an HOA doesn’t guarantee any of this. I live in a development with no HOA. There is absolutely nothing like what you described around here.

My brother lived in an area very similar to mine, but with an HOA. He had to get permission to plant rose bushes and paint his front door. When he had to replace his roof, it had to be one of two shingles.

Yet his neighbor had the fridge on her back deck and was accumulating garbage on the deck. He complained, but the HOA said they couldn’t do anything about it.

I am one of the HOA haters.


It's nice that your neighborhood has no issues, and obviously doesn't need an HOA. But, speaking as a Realtor, yours is the exception rather than the rule. If I bought the house across the street from you, painted it pink, re-roofed it with bright green shingles, and parked all 6 of my cars on the front lawn, there's nothing anyone can do about it, as long as I'm not violating county ordinances.

I agree that HOA's don't "guarantee" anything, but properly run organizations not afraid to show their teeth when necessary come as close to guaranteeing this as is humanly possible.

Again, to each his own. I just know what my past experience as a Realtor has made evident to me. Have a great day!

Your description of why an HOA is needed made me chuckle, as it is almost identical to that a friend of mine made when he moved here from Baton Rouge and actually sought out an HOA. Seriously, maybe it is the part of the country that makes a difference. I’ve lived in 4 different neighborhoods in 4 parts of the state before my current neighborhood. I’ve never had an HOA and never had the circumstances you describe.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2020

View Profile



Posted: 04/18/20 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jfkmk wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

jfkmk wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

However, in a development as such, I would almost always view the HOA as a definite plus. When it comes time for me to sell, I don't want the 6 cars in my neighbors front yard, the 12" tall grass, the refrigerator on the front porch, or his dilapidated storage shed to have a bearing on the value of my home.


Unfortunately an HOA doesn’t guarantee any of this. I live in a development with no HOA. There is absolutely nothing like what you described around here.

My brother lived in an area very similar to mine, but with an HOA. He had to get permission to plant rose bushes and paint his front door. When he had to replace his roof, it had to be one of two shingles.

Yet his neighbor had the fridge on her back deck and was accumulating garbage on the deck. He complained, but the HOA said they couldn’t do anything about it.

I am one of the HOA haters.


It's nice that your neighborhood has no issues, and obviously doesn't need an HOA. But, speaking as a Realtor, yours is the exception rather than the rule. If I bought the house across the street from you, painted it pink, re-roofed it with bright green shingles, and parked all 6 of my cars on the front lawn, there's nothing anyone can do about it, as long as I'm not violating county ordinances.

I agree that HOA's don't "guarantee" anything, but properly run organizations not afraid to show their teeth when necessary come as close to guaranteeing this as is humanly possible.

Again, to each his own. I just know what my past experience as a Realtor has made evident to me. Have a great day!

Your description of why an HOA is needed made me chuckle, as it is almost identical to that a friend of mine made when he moved here from Baton Rouge and actually sought out an HOA. Seriously, maybe it is the part of the country that makes a difference. I’ve lived in 4 different neighborhoods in 4 parts of the state before my current neighborhood. I’ve never had an HOA and never had the circumstances you describe.


You're absolutely right. Never confuse New Jersey with the gulf coast of Florida and Alabama. This is where everyone from New Jersey, New York, Michigan, and Indiana come when they get sick of living up north. [emoticon] I guess we need more HOA's here because we are indeed a big melting pot, and everyone who relocates here brings their own ideas along with them, and, naturally, they don't all coincide. So you're right, it does definitely depend on the part of the country.

C Schomer

Pueblo West, Co.

Senior Member

Joined: 12/26/2000

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/18/20 03:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Long live horse properties... I can shoot in my yard and the prairie dogs run scared! Craig

Bumpyroad

Virginia

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/18/20 04:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my HOA hired a lawyer a couple of years back on retainer, from his actions it appears to me that he is primarily representing the board of directors, etc., and not the individual property owners.
but what interested me was that when they were looking for a lawyer, they chose from among three of them whose sole practice was in HOA matters. seems to me that if lawyers can get rich only defending HOA actions/decisions/etc. there must be a lot of silly nonsense being pulled off by the HOA.
speaking of house colors, the HOA was going to include a statement requiring the approval of the next door neighbors of colors used. I sort of fussed saying that I don't think that I would like a day glow orange house on the entry road into the development. they widened the restrictions on colors.
bumpy





Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

Senior Member

Joined: 05/20/2015

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/18/20 05:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HOA?? No dirt roads, no septic, pass, I'm the HOA what I want to do on my property is all good.


2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold


jfkmk

NJ

Senior Member

Joined: 10/28/2011

View Profile



Posted: 04/18/20 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

jfkmk wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

jfkmk wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

However, in a development as such, I would almost always view the HOA as a definite plus. When it comes time for me to sell, I don't want the 6 cars in my neighbors front yard, the 12" tall grass, the refrigerator on the front porch, or his dilapidated storage shed to have a bearing on the value of my home.


Unfortunately an HOA doesn’t guarantee any of this. I live in a development with no HOA. There is absolutely nothing like what you described around here.

My brother lived in an area very similar to mine, but with an HOA. He had to get permission to plant rose bushes and paint his front door. When he had to replace his roof, it had to be one of two shingles.

Yet his neighbor had the fridge on her back deck and was accumulating garbage on the deck. He complained, but the HOA said they couldn’t do anything about it.

I am one of the HOA haters.


It's nice that your neighborhood has no issues, and obviously doesn't need an HOA. But, speaking as a Realtor, yours is the exception rather than the rule. If I bought the house across the street from you, painted it pink, re-roofed it with bright green shingles, and parked all 6 of my cars on the front lawn, there's nothing anyone can do about it, as long as I'm not violating county ordinances.

I agree that HOA's don't "guarantee" anything, but properly run organizations not afraid to show their teeth when necessary come as close to guaranteeing this as is humanly possible.

Again, to each his own. I just know what my past experience as a Realtor has made evident to me. Have a great day!

Your description of why an HOA is needed made me chuckle, as it is almost identical to that a friend of mine made when he moved here from Baton Rouge and actually sought out an HOA. Seriously, maybe it is the part of the country that makes a difference. I’ve lived in 4 different neighborhoods in 4 parts of the state before my current neighborhood. I’ve never had an HOA and never had the circumstances you describe.


You're absolutely right. Never confuse New Jersey with the gulf coast of Florida and Alabama. This is where everyone from New Jersey, New York, Michigan, and Indiana come when they get sick of living up north. [emoticon] I guess we need more HOA's here because we are indeed a big melting pot, and everyone who relocates here brings their own ideas along with them, and, naturally, they don't all coincide. So you're right, it does definitely depend on the part of the country.

So everyone is welcome to your melting pot so long as their house looks like yours?? Also, just who do you think is going to paint their house pink and park 6 cars in the yard? It doesn’t happen here, and I doubt when folks move south they get a hankering for weird paint schemes and junk cars.

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2020

View Profile



Posted: 04/19/20 06:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jfkmk wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

jfkmk wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

jfkmk wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

However, in a development as such, I would almost always view the HOA as a definite plus. When it comes time for me to sell, I don't want the 6 cars in my neighbors front yard, the 12" tall grass, the refrigerator on the front porch, or his dilapidated storage shed to have a bearing on the value of my home.


Unfortunately an HOA doesn’t guarantee any of this. I live in a development with no HOA. There is absolutely nothing like what you described around here.

My brother lived in an area very similar to mine, but with an HOA. He had to get permission to plant rose bushes and paint his front door. When he had to replace his roof, it had to be one of two shingles.

Yet his neighbor had the fridge on her back deck and was accumulating garbage on the deck. He complained, but the HOA said they couldn’t do anything about it.

I am one of the HOA haters.


It's nice that your neighborhood has no issues, and obviously doesn't need an HOA. But, speaking as a Realtor, yours is the exception rather than the rule. If I bought the house across the street from you, painted it pink, re-roofed it with bright green shingles, and parked all 6 of my cars on the front lawn, there's nothing anyone can do about it, as long as I'm not violating county ordinances.

I agree that HOA's don't "guarantee" anything, but properly run organizations not afraid to show their teeth when necessary come as close to guaranteeing this as is humanly possible.

Again, to each his own. I just know what my past experience as a Realtor has made evident to me. Have a great day!

Your description of why an HOA is needed made me chuckle, as it is almost identical to that a friend of mine made when he moved here from Baton Rouge and actually sought out an HOA. Seriously, maybe it is the part of the country that makes a difference. I’ve lived in 4 different neighborhoods in 4 parts of the state before my current neighborhood. I’ve never had an HOA and never had the circumstances you describe.


You're absolutely right. Never confuse New Jersey with the gulf coast of Florida and Alabama. This is where everyone from New Jersey, New York, Michigan, and Indiana come when they get sick of living up north. [emoticon] I guess we need more HOA's here because we are indeed a big melting pot, and everyone who relocates here brings their own ideas along with them, and, naturally, they don't all coincide. So you're right, it does definitely depend on the part of the country.

So everyone is welcome to your melting pot so long as their house looks like yours?? Also, just who do you think is going to paint their house pink and park 6 cars in the yard? It doesn’t happen here, and I doubt when folks move south they get a hankering for weird paint schemes and junk cars.


Check the article about the guy in Naples FL that painted his $500K house recently. Sorry, not sure how to post a link. Google it.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

Senior Member

Joined: 12/01/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 04/19/20 06:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jfkmk wrote:


So everyone is welcome to your melting pot so long as their house looks like yours?? Also, just who do you think is going to paint their house pink and park 6 cars in the yard? It doesn’t happen here, and I doubt when folks move south they get a hankering for weird paint schemes and junk cars.


well in close proximity to my house there are not that many abandoned/junk cars in the yards. however, abandoned, junk mobile homes is another story. [emoticon]
bumpy

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Posted: 04/19/20 07:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:


If "I" were to loan my RV to someone I certainly give the person a VERY detailed list and also talk on the phone to that person about the details, NOT all that hard!

The "quote" is from someone on this thread I don't remember who.


So unless it was your RV they guy was borrowing...there is zero evidence he had any clue how to conserve water or deal with the waste.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er


spoon059

Just north of D.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 10/03/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 04/19/20 07:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Townhouse... I have yet to see a townhouse community with sufficient room for a RV to safely park. Most of them have one or 2 regular sized parking spots for cars. Without seeing that your particular community has a different setup that would allow for safe movement of cars and firetrucks, I'd have to agree with them.


2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > HOA says NO to temp RV for Dr.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.