|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Crash Guards on Towed

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/20 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could have posted this in several places but it applies to Motorhoem Owners in this case.
Roadmaster did offer crash guards/brush guards that plugged int into the horns of the baseplate, but no more. They really didn't market them.
We now have a 2019 Edge ST and it uses mounts that are roudn, and more like Blue ox perhaps.
We have a lot of deer in our area, in our yard and even on the porches..and even a few cattle that get out from behind the fence..In Az we saw lots of Pronghorns and some hti by cars and Elk and Javelinas.
I can buy a crash guard as used on patrol cars but...I would not be able to mount it, I believe without removing the Roadmaster base plate.
I may bee wrong about this.
Has anyone mounted a crash gaurd on their towed vehicle in particular a Ford Edge ST or know of equpmetn that can be used We've hti more than one deer and it is costly.

Lwiddis

Camping near Pearsonville, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/20 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Could it be the guards weren’t marketed because the Roadmaster sales department believed they wouldn’t be profitable or only marginally profitable? IMO Roadmaster is sales savvy.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/20 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The "Crash Guard" as you call it used on patrol cars is called a "Push Bumper"

Just in case you want to go looking for one.

I can not add beyond that.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/20 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy the "crash guard" or Push Bumper and take it to a welding shop. They should be able to add pins to match the tow bracket so you can use when you're not towing it. Maybe then you'll want to move it to the front of your MH.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/20 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2007 0r 8 There was family from California in a new Pace Arrow, I think, at the factory. They hit an Elk on I70 in Colorado. They were there a long time for repairs. They were home schooling learning history by visiting it rather than from books. Kids are Adults now and we lost track of them. Really nice Folks.
I have though several times of a nice looking large crash bar arrangement perhaps, like on some semis for the fr4ont of the MH.
20 years ago I might have built one.
If I was able I would buy one and build sturdy brackets and frame and my own tow bar mounts but not now...And finding the talent and paying for design as I can't get down to it, and fabrication would require a good bit of money needed elsewhere.
All these things are simple, if you are a bit younger and more sound than me..

JimR 1

Custer South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/20 10:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This company makes off road bumpers for Jeeps they may know of someone that has what you want.

Rockhard offroad bumpers with integrated tow bar brackets 800-762-5427

Might look at a bumper on a patrol car to find the brand.

I have seen a push or crash bumper on a Motor Home but do not remember where or when but it was a diesel pusher. Also I would not trust a crash guard that plugs into the tow bar sockets (if I did understand what you described).

JimR

JimR 1

Custer South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/20 10:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

double post

JimR

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/20 12:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are at least three makers of the push Bars. I don't remember the names but one makes one that can be used on just about any auto. If we had bought the Explorer there would be no problem. Wife looked at it and the rear seats were something deserving of a go cart. An F150 would have been fine but I let her pick what she wanted except I got the ST for the larger brakes and supposedly a bit more power.
I'll check into the bumper mfg.
Only thing is this car has front camera and and traffic distance and parking sensors in the bumper. It will park itself either parlell or at an angle eve between parking stripes. The present Road Master with the bar on it will interfere with the corner sensors at slow speed. Towing doesn't matter but I've been leaving the cross bar etc on it lately. have to turn them off each time we start up. As many deer and elk and Pronghorns and free range cattle, feral hogs, burros etc in America, and everyone of them wanting to cross the road that a SUV or crossover would have a factory option of a push bar/crash bar/brush guard.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/20 12:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

There are at least three makers of the push Bars. I don't remember the names but one makes one that can be used on just about any auto.
I'll check into the bumper mfg.
Only thing is this car has front camera and and traffic distance and parking sensors in the bumper. It will park itself either parlell or at an angle eve between parking stripes. The present Road Master with the bar on it will interfere with the corner sensors at slow speed. Towing doesn't matter but I've been leaving the cross bar etc on it lately. have to turn them off each time we start up. As many deer and elk and Pronghorns and free range cattle, feral hogs, burros etc in America, and everyone of them wanting to cross the road that a SUV or crossover would have a factory option of a push bar/crash bar/brush guard.

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/20 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many, perhaps most of those crash guards can do more damage than they prevent. Often they will go through the radiator and coolers when something is hit. Those on the heavier trucks help but to put one of that thickness and design on a unibody vehicle would be of questionable value. JMHO.
B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Crash Guards on Towed
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.