RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: which TT is best for full living?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> which TT is best for full living?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
thefarleys

New York

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/20 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My husband and I are planning on living out of a travel trailer for a year or 2. Primarily it would be stationary and we would take it on a trip 2-4 times a year. Our vehicle can tow 6000lb. Any suggestions on a quality, lightweight trailer. Nothing fancy, were just new to all of this and dont have a clue where to start. Would appreciate ANY and all info!

* This post was edited 04/18/20 01:07pm by thefarleys *

2oldman

Mecca

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/20 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quality and light weight is rather like saying quality and cheap. It usually doesn't work that way.

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/20 01:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thefarleys wrote:

My husband and I are planning on living out of a travel trailer for a year or 2. Primarily it would be stationary and we would take it on a trip 2-4 times a year. Our vehicle can tow 6000lb. Any suggestions on a quality, lightweight trailer. Nothing fancy, were just new to all of this and dont have a clue where to start. Would appreciate ANY and all info!

You won't be able to get a very large travel trailer at 6,000 lbs. which means you will be living in cramped quarters for a year or 2. I see people in the park here doing that, but it's not for me. If you want something larger consider this: Buy a large trailer and then rent a heavy duty truck when you want to go on a trip 2-4 times a year. It may be cheaper than getting a bigger truck.

By the way, the phrase is "full time living". You left out the word "time".

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/20 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You live in New York. You need a four season trailer if you plan to use it during the winter. Nash, Artic Wolf, Bighorn and Loredo. Your biggest problem? Weight. No 4 season trailer will be light, unless it is small.

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/20 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suggest you start by learning about what the capabilities of your tow vehicle are, and how much it can really tow.
Chances are you are looking at a trailer that weighs about 4500 lbs (brochure weight) (maybe 4800 if your lucky) because you are going to put 1200 lbs or more of stuff in it. What you really need to pay attention to is the tongue weight of the trailer (after it is loaded, not the brochure tongue weight), and what the payload capacity of your truck is.
Read Here
Clicky

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/20 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Learn the basics of RVing first by reading. Rent an appropriate size TT for a week. Then you’ll know what floor plan works for you. jdc and bid time gave excellent advice.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/20 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where will the TT be kept? Any chance a cabin would work for you. It would be more easily made 4 seasons.
There is probably no TT made for 4 seasons despite what the manufacturers might advertise.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/20 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scamp, Casita, Escape, and other fiberglass egg type trailers are pretty good quality and lightweight. Escape (which is Canadian) also has insulation packages for 4 season use. They're not cheap, but do hold their value, and you'd have to be comfortable with the size.

For full timing, 6K is really not a lot of weight, so you're going to have to make some pretty serious compromises.

2016 AmeriLite SuperLite 198BH
2008 Toyota Sienna
Hensley Cub

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not live in a Scamp or Casita if you paid me. Too small.
Look for a quality trailer around 23 feet. Consider a murphy bed, and one big slide out. Look for storage. Arrange the space in the back of your truck under a canopy. Use labeled storage containers. Pay attention to the size of the water, grey and black water tanks. I really like Outdoors RVs. "Right up there with Nash and Arctic Fox.

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/20 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How far of a tripe in miles will you drive 2-4 times per year?

If you just plan to park it then ANY trailer will work. Just find the one you like.
4-season, yes. Big big issue for cold winters.

I would want one with a lot of space, or one where you can remove things and have space. Storage is going to be a big deal over 2 years. I would want the table and chairs and not the dinnete (which is bulky and permanently mounted).

If you are just doing 2-4 short trips then durability is not going to be necessary, and any trailer sold will hold up.

I normally don't encourage slide-outs, but for full time and leaving it parked stationary most of the time a slide-out will greatly increase your living space. Slideouts have issues of durability, but stem from being slid in and out, not from sitting.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> which TT is best for full living?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.