RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Best Truck Camper AGM battery?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Best Truck Camper AGM battery?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mike/kellie

northern calif.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/20 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Feb of 2019 my converter cooked the original batteries that were +5 years old. I had the room so we went with 4 Centennial 6V 224 AH AGM wired in series parallel for 12 volts and 448AH. Minus the replacement converter, the batteries were $1,200.oo out the door. So far, they have performed great but the next time around it will probably be lithium with more solar.

2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toddb wrote:

Lithium can basically be burned to 0 and the bms will disconnect it.

No. 20% state of charge is the minimum recommended for LI.

Nor can they often be charged below 32 f (some a few degrees colder).

Storage below -20 c (-4 f) is NOT recommended.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/20 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

28* that's not cold camping

This is on the Chilly side but still not really cold, this was either Missouri or Nebraska last fall and my uninsulated AGMs worked just fine

[image]

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

toddb

az

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

toddb wrote:

Battle born told me going to 0 doesn't hurt it, I've only done it once and the battery came right back.
Yes low temp charging is problem I think I'm ok down to 25, that's why I said in a TC its easy to solve by opening that to the LQ. The battery needs a little warmth, just because it's -40 outside doesn't mean the battery is at that temp.
Cold storage isn't an issue for me, I have to watch the 135 mark. But I get it, I grew up in ND so we pulled all the batteries on stuff that stored unsheltered/heated anyway during winter. Li are so much easier to lift [emoticon]

full_mosey

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toddb wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

toddb wrote:

Battle born told me going to 0 doesn't hurt it

BB batteries have an internal battery management system(BMS) that shuts the battery off before actual zero is reached. This BMS also stops charging at a upper Volt limit. I believe this BMS will also not permit charging at a low temperature around 32F. The BMS prevents damage that would otherwise kill the Li. This is why you can charge them with a conventional charger.

Some people with 12V fridges have found that the Li based battery system will shut down and ruin their food, when the FLA or AGM would still have been running.

HTH;
John

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

full mosey

Thank you for posting that...As I said earlier,I have been a buy the cheapest flooded cell battery and replace when necessary type of guy,and I have had good luck doing so with my batteries lasting atleast five years,seven years(no idea the actual capacity after 7) with my last set of 27's for my travel trailer..

With a truck camper,especially the one I have, with room for only one battery for the system and room for extra's in the wheel wells...It would take some major mods to tie into the system with extra batteries and anything electrical,curls my hair..LOL..Electrical stuff has never been my foray and I stay away from it for the most part..

Now I know that one Lithium is equal to two other types in amp hours being able to actually discharge it 100% without harm and fully utilizing the amp hours said battery has..

[image]

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my limited experience with LifePO4 batteries (on one of my snowbikes), I wouldn't use them for a camper power source if I was using them where they'd be exposed to below freezing temps, giver take.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

toddb

az

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

full_mosey wrote:

BB batteries have an internal battery management system(BMS) that shuts the battery off before actual zero is reached. This BMS also stops charging at a upper Volt limit. I believe this BMS will also not permit charging at a low temperature around 32F. The BMS prevents damage that would otherwise kill the Li. This is why you can charge them with a conventional charger.

Some people with 12V fridges have found that the Li based battery system will shut down and ruin their food, when the FLA or AGM would still have been running.

HTH;
John

Yep, BB seems to have the best BMS which is why I went with them. I feel the cold weather thing is a non issue, if people can keep their holding tanks from freezing then keeping a battery a little warm before charging shouldn't be an issue and they can continue to be discharged well below that.
I have only heard of bms disconnecting with fridges operated at 24V. Some utilize low voltage disconnects as well, I think the inrush of the fridge pulls the voltage down enough to trigger the disconnect. I have cooled my fridge from 100* and then maintained temp for more than 12 hours on a single charge, that was my drain to 0 test. The flooded 27s couldn't do that, granted they were a 3 years old. I haven't had any disconnect issues with my setup.
Nothing against AGM, I own 7 and they are superior to flooded in my opinion.

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When it came time to replace my cheap Costco type #27 flooded battery I looked at AGM's and LiFePO4's.

In the end I bought/installed a BattleBorn type #27.

• +3000 charge/discharge cycles (outlive 3 high priced AGMS)
  • ~27LBS
  • The entire 100AH is usable
  • Cost = 1.5-2X high priced AGMS

While not for everyone, it worked out for me.

- Mark0.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/20 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toddb,

I can't even store "standard" LI jars. It is a huge issue in the north central part of USA, and even more so in Canada.

I'd be far better off with firefly batteries.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Best Truck Camper AGM battery?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.