|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Rear View Camera vs Backup Camera

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/27/20 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All I can do is tell you about mine
By default it is a "Back up camera"
but there is a button (4 or 5 of them)
The top button is POWER and if I press it. it's a rear view camera
The next button is A/B and if I press it.. Well the side view camera is not currently working (It's under the gas cap to help me line up on a pump. got to fix it one of these days)

I am thinking about the RV-360 system

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/hd-360-camera-system-with-built-in-dvr-rvs-77555.html

But have yet to make the purchase

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

SamanthaNichols

2046 Hillcrest Drive Tacoma, WA 98402

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/20 05:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I took a few hours to install ZEROXCLUB on my RV. Routed camera down and spliced into taillights, and wired monitor to power when key on. Cigarette lighter worked fine, but I wanted something without all the wires showing. To use camera, I just turn on the lights, which is how I drive the RV anyway. Like having a large rear view mirror. I love it. Backing up is easy now, but also no one sneaks up behind me in my dead spot, such as small car or motorcycle. Wireless works flawlessly and instantly.In changing light conditions nighttime,daytime,bright sun or cloudy conditions changing digital monitor brightness is very easy with two buttons on the display panel for very crisp image with no signal interference from mounting location on the back of my 30 ft.bumper tow RV. Very happy with the purchase.

Elk_traveler

maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/20 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sailmike1 wrote:

I'd just like some clarification on this topic. Every time I do a search for a rear view camera, I get a list of backup camera's. I'm looking for a camera and monitor that's on all the time, not just for backing up my vehicle. I can't find any information to clarify this.

Are all backup camera's only for backing up?
How do I find one to replace the rear view mirror to use for normal driving?

Thanks,
Puzzled

I mounted a separate camera with wide angle lens at very back end of roof that I can switch on and off at will connected to battery. I use a 7 inch monitor mounted on dash of vehicle that delivers a 1080p image to monitor. I am able to see everything behind me as well as on both sides. The only difficult part was stringing the wire down and under the chassis of the motorhome to the engine compartment battery. I previously did this on a 5th wheel and used a disconnect switch in-line when unhooking the 5th wheel. There are numerous cameras around and any back up camera will do this if wired to the battery instead of tail lights. There are wireless camera available but I don't think always dependable because of wireless interference. Its better to wire the camera so there is no problem with always seeing what's on the road behind you. My RV has a factory back up camera installed but I too want to see the road and the traffic on the sides. This set up is worth its weight in gold when you're on the interstate such as I-80, I-90 or any other and and especially when coming in and out of toll booths with so much traffic. New cameras are available that have high resolution such that you can read license plates of vehicles behind you very well.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Rear View Camera vs Backup Camera
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.