|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Durable tire recommendation

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/13/20 10:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

GordonThree wrote:

They're all terrible... The GY Marathon got good reviews, then terrible reviews. The GY Endurance same, good reviews, then terrible reviews. Buy three tires from a shop you trust, and just plan to replace them regularly.

I have Goodyear Endurance tires on my RV. Where can I read some of the terrible reviews so I can make a better informed decision when I need to replace them?

Only negative ENDURANCE comment is their 1/4” tread depth. Maybe he can let us know more.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/20 04:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've owned several sets of Maxxis tires when I had travel trailers. They were very good tires and received good reviews on the forums.

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Camreal

Kerrville, Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/20 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2nd yes on the Maxxi tires. Been very good for me.

eHoefler

ozark mountains

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been running Maxxis 8008 on my work trailer for beter part of 12 years, they get replaced about every 2 years, from wearing out due to spinning and turning tight.

2019 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1000FTPD of Torgue!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Go to Discount Tire and tell them to price GY ENDURANCE in your size and load range. Weight wise if you are on the edge I would go up in load range. Example "D" to "E".

The ENDURANCE has been on the market for over 3 years now and not a single tire failure that was the tires fault. Oh if it matters to you they are Made in USA unlike most trailer tires that are made in Communist China!!!

[image]

I agree with you. I had a tire blow that was 4 yr manufacture date and 3 yr on trailer. It separated just before the filling station. It was a GY Marathon. Bought one GY Endurance 10 ply next day to keep moving. 3 more before this trailer hits the road again.

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

freetime58

Winnipeg

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Towing both a trailer and boat over the better part of 40 years now...........trust me, I have run the gauntlet of tires, I have had them all!!!!

I am a firm believer, get the best, tires are your only contact with the ground, that seems important to me.

I have run mostly Goodyear tires for the last 20+ years, the only issues were with the Chinese made Marathons many, many years ago.

Currently running Goodyear Endurance Radials, have 8 of them! Do yourself a favor..........Buy yourself a set and call it a day!

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/20 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How the heck can you guys make any recommendation without knowing tire size? I am guessing that being a hybrid that OP has 13 or 14" tires. Ain't no such thing as a E rated 13,or 14 nor an "LT".
Before our trip I bought 13" Load Star Bias from E-trailer. Yep china bombs. This is a "D" rated tire good to 80MPH at 65 lbs.
We hauled 17,000 miles, freeways,two lanes, dirt, and no road at all, and everything in between.
Not a hint of a problem.

Bias rode rougher than radials, but the sidewall were much much stiffer. Gave me more confidence against rock and curb scrubs.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"How the heck can you guys make any recommendation without knowing tire size? I am guessing that being a hybrid that OP has 13 or 14" tires."

Let's do some math with the OP's info provided. 3,200# TT so lets add 800# of "STUFF" that's 4,000# now take 10% off for tongue weight that's 3,600#. It's a single axle trailer so each tire will be carrying 1,800#.

Chart shows two 14" "D" tires, one a @ 2,040# @ 65psi and 2,200# @ 65psi.

If he has 13's I would change to 14's.

[image]

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Go to Discount Tire and tell them to price GY ENDURANCE in your size and load range. Weight wise if you are on the edge I would go up in load range. Example "D" to "E".

The ENDURANCE has been on the market for over 3 years now and not a single tire failure that was the tires fault. Oh if it matters to you they are Made in USA unlike most trailer tires that are made in Communist China!!!

[image]

I agree with you. I had a tire blow that was 4 yr manufacture date and 3 yr on trailer. It separated just before the filling station. It was a GY Marathon. Bought one GY Endurance 10 ply next day to keep moving. 3 more before this trailer hits the road again.

Just put on the other 3 GY Endurance tires the other day. I saw that inventory was starting to get back ordered. I didn't want to take chances for my ride back South with out them.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/20 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good Man! You will have one less thing to be concerned with!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Durable tire recommendation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.