RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Owning a Cummins Diesel?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Owning a Cummins Diesel?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I Love mine - first diesel. Had the 2017 6.4 hemi - drank gas like a fish. No issues with DEF. Try it, you WILL like it!

[image]

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

IdaD wrote:

My 2015 has been mostly great. I say mostly for two reasons. One, the water pump failed on me while towing the camper home from a vacation and left us stranded a few days. The replacement was also a bad unit, and it took several months before the dealership was able to replace it with a good version under the recall. Two, it's just had too many recalls. All minor stuff but a half dozen or so recalls is excessive.

Those caveats aside, I love the truck. It's fun to drive, tows like a boss, is reasonably efficient and it just does whatever I ask without complaint. I've got about 65k miles on it so far.

The water pump on a Cummins is an easy replacement, even if it was a warranty issue I would have asked for a NAPA or Gates pump to get back on the road.
The pump is a little harder to get to on the 2016, but changed the one in our 2001 Ram CTD in a parking lot in about 20 minutes and at least half the time was getting the belt back on.

We broke down in nowhere, Oregon. It was late Saturday before we got everything towed into town and no auto parts store nor the dealership had a pump in stock. It was a multiple day ordeal over something as silly as a water pump. I've got a Gates pump and spare serpentine belt under my back seat should something similar ever occur again. Ram reimbursed me for what I paid the local mechanic for parts and labor, but it took them few weeks.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/20 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

IdaD wrote:

My 2015 has been mostly great. I say mostly for two reasons. One, the water pump failed on me while towing the camper home from a vacation and left us stranded a few days. The replacement was also a bad unit, and it took several months before the dealership was able to replace it with a good version under the recall. Two, it's just had too many recalls. All minor stuff but a half dozen or so recalls is excessive.

Those caveats aside, I love the truck. It's fun to drive, tows like a boss, is reasonably efficient and it just does whatever I ask without complaint. I've got about 65k miles on it so far.

The water pump on a Cummins is an easy replacement, even if it was a warranty issue I would have asked for a NAPA or Gates pump to get back on the road.
The pump is a little harder to get to on the 2016, but changed the one in our 2001 Ram CTD in a parking lot in about 20 minutes and at least half the time was getting the belt back on.

We broke down in nowhere, Oregon. It was late Saturday before we got everything towed into town and no auto parts store nor the dealership had a pump in stock. It was a multiple day ordeal over something as silly as a water pump. I've got a Gates pump and spare serpentine belt under my back seat should something similar ever occur again. Ram reimbursed me for what I paid the local mechanic for parts and labor, but it took them few weeks.

Well now that you have a spare pump, you could likely put a million miles on that truck and never need it!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I would have asked for a NAPA or Gates pump"

FYI they are both made in Communist China.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mudfuel07

North Florida!

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got a 2017 2500 with 91k on it towing a 10k lb travel trailer. Love it, tows like a beast and fun to drive. Had one problem with the 68rfe, but dealer fixed it under warranty, a valve body. I bought it used, but everything under the hood looked good. DEF is not a problem, haven’t used an ounce in over 8k miles.

2017 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 SLT
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry 8k you used well over an ounce.

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 01:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless he no longer has a DEF system on his truck....

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mudfuel07 wrote:

Got a 2017 2500 with 91k on it towing a 10k lb travel trailer. Love it, tows like a beast and fun to drive. Had one problem with the 68rfe, but dealer fixed it under warranty, a valve body. I bought it used, but everything under the hood looked good. DEF is not a problem, haven’t used an ounce in over 8k miles.

I use a box every 1500 miles or so. Do the math again

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

mudfuel07 wrote:

I use a box every 1500 miles or so. Do the math again

The way I read his statement, somehow his emissions equipment fell off the truck. In which case, he would be right.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

LIKE2BUILD

Decatur

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/20 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

Seriously considering pulling the trigger on a 2015 Ram 3500 SRW diesel...
Any known issues with the 2015's? In my limited reading it seems like folks have fewest issues with the Cummins.

I have a 2014 Ram 2500 long bed Cummins/68RFE, which is pretty much identical to the '15 you're considering. The crew cab is huge with a ton of leg room for the rear passengers.

At 149,000 miles mine is still going strong. I've had 17 recalls repaired, which does seem a bit excessive, but I pretty much just dropped it off and picked up after work. One of the recalls replaced the entire catalyst system in the exhaust!

DEF is easy to find. Also, you can always fill up in the truck lanes at truck stops. In my experience I would suggest sticking with Peak Blue and don't use cheap stuff. Maybe this was just a one-off situation, but I purchased some cheaper off-brand stuff at a local farm store and filled up right before a trip. 500 miles away from home I got a check engine light related to the DEF system. Everything ran fine, but it was still bothersome. When I got home I drained the DEF tank and refilled with PEAK and I've never had another problem since.

I did have to modify the radiator hose. On this model they used a dual radiator system and the plastic Y fitting on the upper hose cracked. I replaced my with a billet aluminum aftermarket unit. I'm not sure if the '15 has the same setup but if it does you'll want to proactively change that Y.

I towed our fifth wheel around the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone and the truck was amazing. When using the Tow/Haul and exhaust brake the truck would nearly slow itself down completely without using much brake pedal. I was able to climb a 10% grade nice and steady and the temps never moved. Without any power mods this truck had more than enough oomph to go wherever I wanted.

KJ

'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Owning a Cummins Diesel?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.