|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> truck swerved with hard braking

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
bobbolotune

Chicago Area

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 04:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, here is the story. I was driving on the interstate it must have been approaching an uphill. Truck in the right lane moving slow. Another truck moving up on me in the left lane. So I hit the gas to pass the slow truck in front of the truck approaching in the left lane, and bang there is another slow moving truck in the left lane in front of me that I hadn't been able to see because it was blocked by the slow moving truck in the right lane.

I had to brake very hard. As I braked my truck swerved into the right lane. Lucky there was nobody beside me.

This was with my 2016 Ram 3500 dually with the truck camper installed.

Would this swerve indicate that there is a brake problem, so that I should have the brakes checked? Or is this just what happens with a truck loaded with the truck camper when braking very hard? That was the hardest I had ever hit the brakes.

Also that I have 42,000 miles on the truck. However almost all of those miles were highway driving.

I am taking the truck in for an oil change and debating whether to ask for the brakes to be checked. But I would rather wait until the next oil change because removing the dually tires to check the brakes is a job and I just put new tires on the truck so I don't need tire rotation. Next oil change I could do both tire rotation and the brake check. I will have 50,000 miles at that point.

I now see that the manual says brake linings should be inspected every 20,000 miles. But it is a big difference in brake usage city driving or almost all of my current 42,000 miles was highway driving.

Opinions? Can I wait until the next oil change to have the brakes inspected? Other than this one experience with the slow moving truck the brakes have been fine.

Lance 850 truck camper
2016 Ram 3500 regular cab long bed 4x4 DRW 6.4L HEMI gas

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/20 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A hard brake should still keep you straight if everything is working correctly. Hard braking to the side indicates a problem that should be checked right away! I'm surprised you are asking on a forum instead of a mechanic... good luck and report back what the problem was.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/20 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lot’s of variables when loaded up with TC. Certainly start with a good brake inspection and consider this a lesson learned.

When I first started hauling a TC, someone on this forum told me;
The slow lane is your friend when hauling the TC.

That was some good advice.

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brakes are nothing to be asking advice about. You had a bad experience and will not feel confident in your brakes until they are checked. Don't cheap out on brakes.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/20 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your story would indicate that the left front caliper has an issue where it didn't apply with the same force as the right front. As noted, this is NOT something you wait around to fix. Have you thought about what would have happened had you already been in the right lane when you hit the brakes? Go get the brakes fixed NOW and worry about the tire rotation and oil change later.

By the way, what's your camper weigh? Only asking because I am shopping for a 2015 Ram right now.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel

Under renovations:
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper

SOLD: 2001 K2500 Suburban LT 8.1L/4.10
2008 Terry 34' TT many mods, Hensley Hitch

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 06:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You did ask for opinions. [emoticon] I’m not understanding how you had to brake that hard going uphill or flat with a gasoline truck. I’d also suggest not following as close if you couldn’t see the left lane.

Back to the truck, it’s probably worth inspecting the brakes, shocks, and steering components. If you do change brakes, consider upgrading to better pads while you are at it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 06:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

I’d also suggest not following as close if you couldn’t see the left lane.

Best advice yet!

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timberridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

billtex wrote:

When I first started hauling a TC, someone on this forum told me;
The slow lane is your friend when hauling the TC.

That was some good advice.

It was,indeed.

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/20 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I agree that something is wrong, I am not sure what having your brakes "checked" is going to do. The typical mechanic brake check is a simple visual inspection... "Yup, it's got brakes."

All it will serve to do is verify that there is nothing OBVIOUSLY wrong such as a burned up brake pad, or a leaking caliper, which you can do yourself without even removing the wheels.

Does it pull under normal braking? Take it out on an empty stretch of road and induce a few "Jesus take the wheel" moments. Maybe you've been subconsciously holding the wheel against a pull during braking right along?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

narcodog

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/14/20 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you have 2016 you should have anti=locking brakes which should have kept you pointed in the forward direction. I would definitely have the system checked out.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> truck swerved with hard braking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.