|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How to camp with electric only

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/15/20 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Newbie question here.

I have a reservation at a campground with electric hookup only and no water hookup. It was the best I could do over the Memorial Day weekend. At least it's cheap. How do you normally stretch your water in that situation? Can I drive to some station in the park (it's a government park) and fill my fresh water tank? Maybe at the dump station? I know you're not supposed to use the typical water at a dump station, but maybe at these semi-rustic campgrounds they also provide potable water?

* This post was edited 05/15/20 09:17pm by DallasSteve *

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Electric only site........
Fill your Fresh water tank before heading out to that park (we travel with FULL Tank all the time)

How much capacity do you have...???
Fresh water tank
Black Tank
Grey Tank

We can usually go 5-7 days w/o needed to refill or dump

Usually parks with electric only will have a 'common' hose bibb campers can use.
But best to show up with a FULL tank to begin with

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Electric only site........
Fill your Fresh water tank before heading out to that park (we travel with FULL Tank all the time)

How much capacity do you have...???
Fresh water tank
Black Tank
Grey Tank

We can usually go 5-7 days w/o needed to refill or dump

Usually parks with electric only will have a 'common' hose bibb campers can use.
But best to show up with a FULL tank to begin with

I definitely plan to arrive with a full tank. Lately we blast through our capacity (black and gray) in one day. I think if we tried we could go 2 or 3 days, but I have a 7-day reservation. Winnebago says my model has 36/42/51 (black, gray, fresh) with 6 for the water heater. Does that mean I have 51+6 in total fresh water? Hopefully, this park has a common water fill. I tried to call this morning, but they didn't answer so I sent them an email.

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Call the park. We've never seen a dump station that didn't also have a potable water faucet separately.

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

LibertyMan

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Usually there are spigots placed throughout the campground or one near the entrance. You will have to look online to see if the campground your going to has them or not. Or give them a call to find out. If they are spaced throughout or have a potable spigot near the entrance, I carry four, five gallon fresh water jugs with spouts with me and fill the camper using that method. Of course I use the blue tote to empty gray water once the camper gets full. If there is no potable water on site, fill the camper before you leave. Depending on length of stay and number of people in the camper will decide how much extra water to bring along with you.

2019 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite
2016 Ram CCSB 2500 CTD
GenY Weight Distribution Hitch

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some travel with full water, I never do. It's heavy. You should verify the CG has central water before arriving to a nasty surprise. I have 75 gallons of capacity on my truck so no breaking camp to fill the 5er. I do not conserve, I like my own shower (especially now), I like plenty of water on tap, and it's easy to just take the truck to get it then pump it in with a spare 12v pump.

The flush water at dump stations is the same water you drink, it's just that the hose and/or spigot may be contaminated.

* This post was edited 05/16/20 12:58pm by 2oldman *

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LibertyMan wrote:

Usually there are spigots placed throughout the campground or one near the entrance. You will have to look online to see if the campground your going to has them or not. Or give them a call to find out. If they are spaced throughout or have a potable spigot near the entrance, I carry four, five gallon fresh water jugs with spouts with me and fill the camper using that method. Of course I use the blue tote to empty gray water once the camper gets full. If there is no potable water on site, fill the camper before you leave. Depending on length of stay and number of people in the camper will decide how much extra water to bring along with you.

LibertyMan

I found a map of the park online and it has "drinking water" marked at about 5 or 10 spots in the park. I don't know if that means a water fountain or a spigot, but as you say there are probably some spigots to fill up my tank. For free, I hope. I had to pay $5 to dump at a state park in Oklahoma where I stayed last week. I guess that's why they call it "Robber's Cave".

I feel more relaxed about my 7-day reservation now. Thanks to all.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fill your fresh tank at home before you get there. Filling a large tank can take 20-30 minutes. Get it out of the way before you get there.
Unless you know exactly where the water fill is located and how accessible it is than fill at home.
Avoid maneuvering you rig to get to the water source

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Worst case you dump and refill daily. Adjust your habits as needed.
Just don't forget to unplug before you roll out to the dump station and you will be fine.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/20 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I usually shower in the campground bath house which saves a bunch of RV water. My wife takes navy showers which also helps.
One trick I recently learned is to collect the shower water that you run waiting for it to get hot and use that water to flush the toilet instead of dumping it down the shower drain. It can amount to quite a bit.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How to camp with electric only
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.