|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How to camp with electric only

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

I usually shower in the campground bath house which saves a bunch of RV water. My wife takes navy showers which also helps.
One trick I recently learned is to collect the shower water that you run waiting for it to get hot and use that water to flush the toilet instead of dumping it down the shower drain. It can amount to quite a bit.

Great tips! We also bring a few gallon jugs of drinking water for making our coffee so we aren't using tank water for drinking.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's been stated on here but just to make sure.

You can fill before you go.

Most parks have water available. But also most have modified the fresh water spigots so you cannot attach a hose. Sometimes you can use a water bandit to fill the tanks. Link

Some campgrounds have spigots with huge 1.5 or 2 inch diameter ends on them. For that kind of fitting you're probably need a big funnel and a portable tank.

You will probably have to break camp and drain the tanks. Remember using up the fresh tank fills up the waste tanks.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

I usually shower in the campground bath house which saves a bunch of RV water.
You may want to rethink that.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/20 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fill your water tank first. If you can't go for a long weekend without dumping or refilling then you are using entirely too much water. Any camper I've ever had was usually set up where a family could camp for 3 or more days on the tank capacity.

Lwiddis

Glass Creek area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/20 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One idea....Use what shower water you can catch with a larger plastic bowl on the shower floor and all your dishwashing water to flush the toilet. Boondocking 101.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/20 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been camping in California State Parks campgrounds for the past 30+ years. More than 99% of their campsites have no hookups of any kind.
So you have to learn to conserve water and shuttle FW water and gray water.
We use a 6 gallon FW plastic jug and a 15 gallon tote tank for gray water. Also use a water bandit for non-threaded spigot.
At least you have electric.

Dan- Firefighter, Retired">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/20 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

Newbie question here.

I have a reservation at a campground with electric hookup only and no water hookup. It was the best I could do over the Memorial Day weekend. At least it's cheap. How do you normally stretch your water in that situation? Can I drive to some station in the park (it's a government park) and fill my fresh water tank? Maybe at the dump station? I know you're not supposed to use the typical water at a dump station, but maybe at these semi-rustic campgrounds they also provide potable water?

If your worried about running short of water for the holiday weekend, most camping stores sell inclosed 5 gallon pails that come with a water spigot at the base. The pails fit nicely on your picnic table. Just fill it when coming into the campground.

here somthing similar to what I have, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OUTDOOR-CAMPI........C-JERRY-CAN-WITH-WATER-TAP-/163334887324

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 210K"

Where we have camped

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pasusan wrote:

Call the park. We've never seen a dump station that didn't also have a potable water faucet separately.

But, there are some parks [i[(especially government) that have no dump stations and potable water comes from a hand operated well pump !

Gray water can be disposed in a ditch (outside of the campground, away from "civilization"). Black water is an issue.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

We use a 6 gallon FW plastic jug and a 15 gallon tote tank for gray water.

Where do you dispose the gray water ?

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/20 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mdcamping wrote:

DallasSteve wrote:

Newbie question here.

I have a reservation at a campground with electric hookup only and no water hookup. It was the best I could do over the Memorial Day weekend. At least it's cheap. How do you normally stretch your water in that situation? Can I drive to some station in the park (it's a government park) and fill my fresh water tank? Maybe at the dump station? I know you're not supposed to use the typical water at a dump station, but maybe at these semi-rustic campgrounds they also provide potable water?

If your worried about running short of water for the holiday weekend, most camping stores sell inclosed 5 gallon pails that come with a water spigot at the base. The pails fit nicely on your picnic table. Just fill it when coming into the campground.

here somthing similar to what I have, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OUTDOOR-CAMPI........C-JERRY-CAN-WITH-WATER-TAP-/163334887324

Mike

x2 on this. I have one of the round orange water containers that one can get at any home improvement store for about $10-$20 or so. Works fine for drinking, cooking and washing cookware water, use the on board only for showers.

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How to camp with electric only
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.