RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Onan RV QG LP for home back up generator.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Onan RV QG LP for home back up generator.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
CarolynandBob

San Diego

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/20 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had this gen in my 5th wheel. Last March I pulled it out of the 5th wheel in order to use this as a back up gen for my house. I started it before I pulled it and it worked great. I am in Tennessee and the 5th wheel is in Florida.

Now before I call the electrician to set up the transfer switch on my house I wanted to make sure the generator was operating correctly. I looked up which LP regulator I would need and it said 9-13 WC. I purchased an 11 WC and a new deep cell battery. All it does is turn over. It will not start. I had a remote start switch in the RV. I am not sure if that is disconnected, would the gen not start? If so, where could I get a "loop" or jumper to by pass that feature? I cannot find any info on the web.

I called the nearest Onan service center and they said the would not work on it if it isn't in a RV. They said it was a liability issue, which I disagree, but it is their call.

Thank you in advance.

2017 Vilano 375FL (Bob's Cabin Carolyn's Beach House)
2017 F350 Dually 4x4
8 Year old Pug/Terrier
9 Year old Puggle
8 Year old Boxer/Greyhound

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should not need to bypass remote start.
Have you checked to see if fuel solenoid is energizing?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

CarolynandBob

San Diego

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Should not need to bypass remote start.
Have you checked to see if fuel solenoid is energizing?

I am going to check that today. Another persons suggested that too. Thank you.

Kpackpackkelley

Bryan tx

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Model serial number off the gen or a picture of the tag would be good before you spend money hooking it to the house. Electric capability may make a big difference.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Someone needs to calculate your house's load which you plan on connecting to genset. You need to specify exactly what Onan genset you have, model!
You can get a genset transfer switch from many big box stores.
Transfer switch kits

CarolynandBob

San Diego

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/16/20 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an electrician that is going to handle all of that.

I did find 1 of the wires to the solenoid not connected. Both are connected to the solenoid but only 1 to the generator. I have to find out where that connects.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Someone needs to calculate your house's load which you plan on connecting to genset. You need to specify exactly what Onan genset you have, model!
Transfer switch kits

CarolynandBob wrote:

I don't like those Reliance/Generac kits. You have to decide up front exactly which circuits you want to use in the case of a power outage.

Automatic transfer switches, by code, require a generator capable of handling the entire house load, including A/C ! (Unless the transfer switch has "load shedding". More complicated, more money)

I highly recommend a generator interlock. Not too expensive and easy to install. All of the circuits in your house remain active and you decide what items to turn or off before the generator breaker trips !

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to do the calculations first, or you could burn up genset.
Generator interlocks are not approved in all jurisdictions.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

enblethen wrote:

Transfer switch kits

CarolynandBob wrote:

I don't like those Reliance/Generac kits. You have to decide up front exactly which circuits you want to use in the case of a power outage.
Automatic transfer switches, by code, require a generator capable of handling the entire house load, including A/C ! (Unless the transfer switch has "load shedding". More complicated, more money)

I highly recommend a generator interlock. Not too expensive and easy to install. All of the circuits in your house remain active and you decide what items to turn or off before the generator breaker trips !

I DO like the Generac kits with ATS, and that’s exactly how mine is installed, and met code at time of install about 10 years ago. I don’t need every circuit in the house energized during an outage. I need the critical circuits energized, and for my purposes that doesn’t include any 220 volt circuits. If it’s not connected to the ATS, the generator doesn’t need to support its load. Are you sure about that being current code?

I don’t have electric heat, clothes dryer or water heaters. The stove is gas, I can live without the electric ovens, and for that matter I can live without the air conditioning as well. Most long outages around here are during heating season, rather than AC.

I need to have enough circuits/lights to get ready for work, be able to keep my refrigerators running, power enough 110 volt appliances to prepare food, do laundry, run my furnaces and wood stove, and power my garage door lifts. I also have the circuits that power the home network and a few TV’s on the ATS.

Since the time I installed it, I always swore that if we ever had a long outage during the summer, I’ll just go buy an inexpensive 110 volt window AC and at least have a cool place to sleep. I finally had to do that about a year ago. We actually came home from vacation once during a power outage, and didn’t know it until we got in the house because the power garage doors opened normally!

My unit is 10KW and it’s never shut down because of overload. I would have needed a 20 KW to support the entire house including air conditioning. It runs on natural gas, starts and stops itself when utility power drops and is restored, and tests itself once a week. It’s run as long as 10 days straight, it has never once failed to start for an outage, and the only problem it’s ever had is a failed over-temp sensor on the engine that shut it down for a false over-temp. A bigger generator would have also required making some changes to the natural gas delivery to the house so it could supply more btu/hr.

My neighbor has a larger and newer Cummins/Onan unit, and he’s had numerous issues with it. I bet I’ve seen it being serviced about a dozen times over the last 2-3 years after not starting when it should, or failing while running.

What can I say, it’s auto-magic and it works!

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 05/16/20 08:10pm by NRALIFR *

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/20 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't believe the Onan puts out 120/240. Believe it is two legs of 120 volt.
So you cannot have any 240 loads.
You maybe aware of this.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Onan RV QG LP for home back up generator.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.