RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: What TC truly sleeps 4 adults ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What TC truly sleeps 4 adults ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/20 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every type of RV is a compromise and each has it's downsides.

Packing multiple adult size humans in is a downside of truck campers. Maybe get a small enclosed utility trailer and build some bunks to pull behind the truck camper. Growing up my friends family did that. Mom & Dad slept in the truck camper and the kids stayed in a small travel trailer.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/17/20 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had an 11' TC for many years. I loved it when it was just me and the wife. With two young sons it was tight but we made due. When our daughter was born we gave up. It was just too small.
I have continued trying to find a suitable TC for the whole family. I can't find one. They just aren't made for more than 2 or possibly 3 adults. The Lance 1131 mentioned with the flip out tent is a possible option. Also the Lance 830 and 1040 also had the tent option. I was never interested in those because I didn't want the noisy, insulation, and security issues of the tent enclosure.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/20 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you really want to get rid of your kids? You need to put them in a tent.

thedavidzoo

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/20 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you looked at NorthSTAR 12' STC?

We have traveled extensively (up to 2 months at a time) with our 2 teen boys in the STC. There is a very sturdy flip-down bunk above the dinette (though headroom up there is tight), and a huge u-dinette for a bed, not those short ones that fit only 3rd graders.

Quote:

Four people in any TC for more than one night isn’t my idea of a vacation. Couldn’t the kids sleep outside in a tent?

OP mentioned needing hardside in bear country...kind of excludes using a tent for teens, and who needs extra baggage dragging another unit behind (then just get a TT)?
Depending on your family dynamics, 4 folks in a TC for more than a night is really no problem...but might not work for all. Some just need more space and privacy, I suppose. That is why we have the great outdoors!

Huge dry bath. TONS of storage. Rex the owner of Northstar is a pleasure to work with, including some customization, and Bill at Truck Camper Warehouse in NH is equally superior in customer service.

2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

John & Christine

Milford

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/20 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thedavidzoo wrote:

Have you looked at NorthSTAR 12' STC?

We have traveled extensively (up to 2 months at a time) with our 2 teen boys in the STC. There is a very sturdy flip-down bunk above the dinette (though headroom up there is tight), and a huge u-dinette for a bed, not those short ones that fit only 3rd graders.

Quote:

Four people in any TC for more than one night isn’t my idea of a vacation. Couldn’t the kids sleep outside in a tent?

OP mentioned needing hardside in bear country...kind of excludes using a tent for teens, and who needs extra baggage dragging another unit behind (then just get a TT)?
Depending on your family dynamics, 4 folks in a TC for more than a night is really no problem...but might not work for all. Some just need more space and privacy, I suppose. That is why we have the great outdoors!

Huge dry bath. TONS of storage. Rex the owner of Northstar is a pleasure to work with, including some customization, and Bill at Truck Camper Warehouse in NH is equally superior in customer service.
Thanks everyone for the help.

This just might work.

We’re used to cramped conditions. We traveled cross country twice in a Jeep Unlimited. Slept in that Jeep 26 nights between Massachusetts and SoCal. The TC will be like a condo. I just want a comfortable place for the kids. Also like I said we’re going to be in bear country next year on an Alaskan trip.

Thanks

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/20 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John & Christine wrote:

We’re also not opposed to setting up 2 cots in the camper if needed....

No room for two cots, probably not even 1 in all the campers I've been in.

I don't think a bunk will have the weight capacity for a 6' teenager.

Another idea is towing a short cargo trailer additional gear hauling and sleeping capacity. (BBQ, Lawn Chairs, etc)

I used a 6x10 cargo trailer as my sleeping area for 10 years. It replaced my tent. It worked very well. Just get one with an RV style door, not a cargo trailer style "cam-lock / bar latch" on the door.

I currently use a 7x12 enclosed trailer with my truck camper. To me, It's as essential as having food in the fridge when I go places.

* This post was edited 05/17/20 07:23pm by deltabravo *

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timberridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/20 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One “adult” can sleep diagonal on the dinette and another on a pad on the floor. We still do 5 in our 9.5’. The oldest is 5’6” and uses the floor when not in a tent. The other 2 still fit on the dinette. Cozy is just fine as long as it’s not full time.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Couldn’t the kids sleep outside in a tent?

That would certainly resolve the "sleeps 4" issue after a night or two... Once the bears have eaten the kids...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/18/20 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel 2 adults, 2 teen boys, and 70# lab. Single slide EC850, No worries, have a ball. We are typically outside and on the go. However , we have had some rainy/movie nights, or ski trips, where we are all in chillin. Love the TC. Get a slide for sure, the floor space makes the difference. That non slide Northstar davidzoo has is quite a nice unit also- I saw his at the dealer.

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

John & Christine

Milford

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Four people in any TC for more than one night isn’t my idea of a vacation. Couldn’t the kids sleep outside in a tent? We did as kids and loved it while M&D slept in the station wagon. Two cots in a TC? You must be kidding.
I found out on another forum 2 cots will fit in a EC 1165/1200. Still not ideal.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> What TC truly sleeps 4 adults ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.