|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Chipmunks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Stevebx

Naples, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/20 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have to ask, are you certain it is a chipmunk and not a red squirrel? Chipmunks burrow in the ground for their homes, never have had one try to get in my house or camper and I have plenty around. Red squirrels are notorious for getting into homes, neighbor had one in theirs. I had mice in the trailer for the first time last summer. Just ordered a new electronic repeller that has the sound plus strobe light to scare them. Reviews were good from people that tried everything else for mice or rats under the hood of their cars. Older ones never did much good.

pbeverly

South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/20 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

K Charles wrote:

Squirrels will get rid of chipmunks, get a squirrel.

Then get a woodchucks to take care of the squirrels?

I took out 22 squirrels with a pellet gun one year. For each one I took out they had 2-3 replacements ready to come in.

Ridgeway, SC

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/20 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure what you call a Chipmunk in other parts of the country. Around here they never cause a problem. And, they are quite small. So my guess would be the same one as with the mice.

Go get a hungry cat.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/20 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't fool around, Get the A18 see video below

Bye bye

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

Tripalot

Golden Horseshoe, Ont. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pcaffrey wrote:

Try the bucket "O" death. Five gallon bucket filled half way with water, cover water with a couple handful's of sunflower seeds. Give them a little ramp to go up, usually a trail of seeds. They dive in for the seeds not seeing the water and drown. This really works. I have caught many with this method.

Tried this - worked very well - within 15 minutes had 2 chipmunks.I sure felt bad about having to do this, but all their tunnels were undermining our interlock walkway causing the bricks to sink in various spots. It is a lot of work lifting bricks in those areas, adding crushed limestone, getting the bricks back in, levelling, tamping, adding polymer sand - you get it. We have had to do this 2X this year already and it is still only May.

2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/28/20 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CavemanCharlie wrote:

I'm not sure what you call a Chipmunk in other parts of the country. Around here they never cause a problem. And, they are quite small. So my guess would be the same one as with the mice.

Go get a hungry cat.

My cat loves chipmunks.
Had three this week. When he is done only the head, tail, and gut sack is left.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/20 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had two Havahart chipmunk traps out for about 3 weeks now, using every bait that Havahart lists. So far, no luck. I put out the Bucket "O" Death yesterday. Today, I have a dead chipmunk. Thank you.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/20 04:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have to do what you have to do to protect your RV but I like Chipmunks.
Sit down mid day miles form any roads deer hunting nod off for a while. Snoring mus annoy them. They and red squirrels and grays too would trow nuts and anything else down on me. Yep Chipmunks can climb apparently. They would run up my legs while sitting there. Fed them bits of my sandwiches or oatmeal cookies. The deer liked them too. Saw lot of deer but it got to where it was more vising them than hunting them. Last time was now many years a go on Little Mountain a part of Carer Mountain.
Cousin has them in her flower boxes and beds and they are on her porch all the time. Get older I suppose you tolerate the animals they tolerate you. They know an easy touch with a sandwich or cookie when them,Gets out of hand when the humming birds want to drink from your cup too. One way to lose weight, share with them, I suppose.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/20 07:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Liking chipmunks is not an option when they are destroying your flowerbeds and Momma is, ummm, displeased. If I only saw them, or evidence of them, when I was out in the woods, I would like them too. They are very destructive little things around the house and yard.

By the same token, my wife often says she would happily shoot Bambi if we didn't live 7 doors down from the mayor. She is talking about getting me a crossbow.

pcaffrey

USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/20 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A chipmunk isn't anything other thsn a well dressed rat and very destructive. I tolerate a few of them but they can get out of hand quick.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Chipmunks
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.