RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Airbags?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Airbags?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Rye_a

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’d like to add airbags to my rear suspension on my Ram 2500 diesel to level my truck when I’m towing, but don’t really feel I need to be able to control them from the cab and don’t want to go through an expensive and involved installation of a full system with a permanent compressor. Any recommendations for airbags that can be inflated with an external compressor?

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I felt the same way. I was wrong.
Someone talked me into an onboard compressor. I thank them every time I see them.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 10:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

double post.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 10:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having a built in system is far better than needing to fill,up elsewhere.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rye_a wrote:

I’d like to add airbags to my rear suspension on my Ram 2500 diesel to level my truck when I’m towing, but don’t really feel I need to be able to control them from the cab and don’t want to go through an expensive and involved installation of a full system with a permanent compressor. Any recommendations for airbags that can be inflated with an external compressor?

Any of them. Pick whatever brand you want. They are virtually identical except for the model(s) with the internal jounce bumpers, which doesn't affect capacity.

If you don't air up and down frequently, I don't personally see the roi of a built in compressor auto system either.
And you can air them up with most any reasonable priced 12V or gas station compressor if you want to air up on the road.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/20 11:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used Firestone and they worked great on my 2013 2500HD, I just ran a air line from each bag to each side of the license plate. I never had a issue adjusting them, I just used a bicycle pump you don’t need a compressor.

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 12:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love the Firestone 5000s - I've had them on 2 trucks and never felt a need to control them from inside. If they were a primary suspension system I could see it but just being a supplement I've never felt the need to change on the fly.... or really ever for that matter (other than filling them each time I hookup which takes about 2 minutes). I just figure what's about right with some trial and error with each trailer or load and I'm set. I usually run them around 40 with my 11,000# 5th wheel. I don't totally need them but it just helps lessen bouncing over uneven roads.

K-9 HANDLER

Maryland's Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 04:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote for firestones. The same set has been on my vehicle for the past 16 years with no issues. Like the previous poster I put the fillers next to the license plate. Use the air pump on my battery jump box to fill them. It doesnt take much air.

Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

I felt the same way. I was wrong.
Someone talked me into an onboard compressor. I thank them every time I see them.

The used truck I bought from a dealer had them external tied together and uses one air valve. This last month while towing I developed a leak somewhere in the system. Try finding a station the is convenient with working air to add to your load as you travel towing. It's inconvenient and I agree with you that an onboard unit would have made that much easier.

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/20 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my last 3 trucks all had the Airlift 5000 with the Schrader valves locked on the RV light plug and only 1 issue.. that issue was self caused and I fixed the problem..

I was looking for bags for my new truck and Airlift has not named a fitment yet so I went to Firestone Riderite with the built in compressor...

I have not towed with it yet so I cannot comment on the ease, but I am sure I will love it.

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Airbags?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.