RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Bearing repack - hub noises?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Bearing repack - hub noises?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/20 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Bird Freak wrote:

Sounds like brake to me. Bearing would be more of a growling sound.

Concur ! Also a bearing going bad will actually spin fairly well.
A bearing bad enough to make noise is not going to "spin fairly well".

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/19/20 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Strongly disagree with the above post. The problem isn't the electric brake. The brakes's star wheel is adjusted too tight, which is why the wheel isn't turning, the brakes are too tight. I can back off the star wheel sufficiently so that there is no noise at all when the tire freely spins, which shows the electric brake doesn't make noise like the tight brakes do. And the electric brake has no juice to it so it's not going to cause a tight brake.

While you're there check the adjustment of the castle nut, which holds your wheel together. It should be hand tightened then backed off to the first hole the cotter pin can go through. Too many people over tighten the castle nut and the bearings fail. This process is only for trailer brakes.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/20 01:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's normal for drum brakes to make an intermittent dragging scraping sound when turned by hand. Bearings have to be really bad to make any noise and even then it's usually a rumble not a scrape and occurs at high speeds.

But no matter what, you'll know when you pull it apart. Just inspect the bearing rollers and matching raceway for pits.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/20 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Ok people. Electric brakes will make a noise when turned. The magnet is in contact with the drum by a spring. It rides along the drum until the brake controller sends a signal for current. Then it drags harder against the drum and increases braking proportiently. So it's normal to hear a scraping/dragging noise when turning. The drum will not freewheel because of this. It does sound like it may be slightly adjusted too much. You should be able to freely turn it with a couple fingers and not much effort.

Exactly. I was going to say it should drag a bit.

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Mike134

Elgin

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/20 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

Ok people. Electric brakes will make a noise when turned. The magnet is in contact with the drum by a spring. It rides along the drum until the brake controller sends a signal for current. Then it drags harder against the drum and increases braking proportiently. So it's normal to hear a scraping/dragging noise when turning. The drum will not freewheel because of this. It does sound like it may be slightly adjusted too much. You should be able to freely turn it with a couple fingers and not much effort.

Here's the parts of the magnet, notice the spring to keep the magnet against the drum when brakes are not applied

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/etrailer/AKBRKR-M10.html

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/20 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had my brakes apart once, and I honestly don't recall hearing any dragging sounds when I turned the wheel. Just another data point. Seems to me if the magnet is dragging hard enough to drastically slow a turning wheel, then there is going to be a lot of friction and wear happening very quickly. It just occurred to me that an electromagnet shouldn't really be doing anything if not energized.

12th Man Fan

Flower Mound , Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/20 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it has been sitting for awhile the rust on the drum will certainly make a dragging sound but I don't think it should stop in a quater of a turn. Probably adjusted a little too tight.

2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/20 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

penguin149 wrote:

Does this sound like a bearing or brake issue?

Brakes. It's usually the magnet dragging against the rotor, and partial contact of the brake shoes.
BUT, the wheel should spin more than a quarter turn after rotating it if you give it a good hard spin with your hands. So with that said, the brakes are likely adjusted too tight.

azdryheat wrote:

While you're there check the adjustment of the castle nut, which holds your wheel together. It should be hand tightened then backed off to the first hole the cotter pin can go through.

Not all axles use cotter pins these days, they use a little keeper doo-dad that goes over the nut

Here's a video on repacking the bearings I did on a cargo trailer I have.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/20 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

azdryheat wrote:

Strongly disagree with the above post. The problem isn't the electric brake. The brakes's star wheel is adjusted too tight, which is why the wheel isn't turning, the brakes are too tight.

Your post is contradicting. It says the problem "isn't the electric brakes" but then goes on to explain that the problem is the brakes being adjusted to tight.

The information you are probably trying to convey is "the problem isn't the electric function of the brakes, but the manual adjustment of them"

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/20 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

Strongly disagree with the above post. The problem isn't the electric brake. The brakes's star wheel is adjusted too tight, which is why the wheel isn't turning, the brakes are too tight.

Your post is contradicting. It says the problem "isn't the electric brakes" but then goes on to explain that the problem is the brakes being adjusted to tight.

The information you are probably trying to convey is "the problem isn't the electric function of the brakes, but the manual adjustment of them"
Not contradicting at all. Anyone who has worked on drum brakes knows the brake pads can be manually adjusted by rotating the star wheel to loosen or tighten (contract/expand) the brake shoes against the drum.

The electric portion of the braking system is activated when the driver steps on the brake and electric current is sent to the brakes which applies the brakes. Unless there is electric current going to the brakes there will be no activation of the brakes.

The only things causing the wheel not to spin is brakes that are adjusted too tight (with the star ring) or the wheel bearings being too tight (axle castle nut too tight). The electric portion of the brakes is not a factor as there is no current going there.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Bearing repack - hub noises?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.