|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> V10 Eng, desperate in need of help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
samsontdog

Oregon, Wash Coast summer, Yuma Az winter

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/20 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

samsontdog wrote:

Thank you BFL13
I will print this out and take it to the Mechanic
Those steps may clear it up, unfortunately the mechanic will tell you they can't guarantee it, so you still won't have absolute peace of mind.

But you won't be totally out of luck if the truck tends to start after it's sat a while and cooled off. I guess, for the next few weeks try to avoid hard left turns while out in the boondocks.

Neither turns were hard left turns, I had plenty of room to make the turns. Yesterday I was not really making a turn as I just pulling over as the truck was stalling, trying to run

samsontdog">">

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had to get a new starter for the E350. The Bendix (sp?) went out on it they said. Made a noise like that ISTR. It spun like crazy but no cranking.

Had that throttle body clogged up on my 2003 Chev truck. It sort of got worse and worse without me noticing except at high revs pulling the 5er up-hill, it pinged some. Then it died while driving. Ran battery down. Good Sam tow. Got battery recharged, truck fired right up. Later got it in, and they said it was the throttle body which they cleaned. No trouble after that.

* This post was edited 05/20/20 09:58am by BFL13 *

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/20 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford has a box that plugs into the OBD port on your vehicle. It sits on the floor and records everything the ECU sees and does. When you have the issue, you push the button on the box and it locks in the previous 10 minutes worth of data. My BIL is a Ford service manager.. That is what they use for intermittent problems.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Oregun

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/20 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 99 F350/V10 did something similar. Turned out to be the fuel pump in the gas tank.
When it wouldn't start you could hit the gas tank with a board and then it would start.
Or just wait until it cooled off and it would work. Not a cheap repair.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/20 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

try taking to wal mart in the late evening and recreate your problem. even pay the mech to ride along.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/20/20 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oregun wrote:

My 99 F350/V10 did something similar. Turned out to be the fuel pump in the gas tank.
When it wouldn't start you could hit the gas tank with a board and then it would start.
Or just wait until it cooled off and it would work. Not a cheap repair.
Sounds to me like a failing fuel pump. I spent a lot of time trying to find the problem and changing parts. What I learned from this experience is fuel pressure does not predict a failing fuel pump. If the fuel pump is bad (totally failed) it will but one that is working intermittently testing the volume of fuel(gals/min) is a better test. Have your mechanic look up the specs for your vehicle and have him do a flow test, you don't want to be caught on the road with a failing fuel pump especially in the summer when everyone is traveling and you can't find a shop available to fix it.

BigDogBS

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/20 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree on failing fuel pump.I had a Chevy do the same.Would not start with ether due to not building fuel pressure in the fuel rail..It died on road two times before finally figured it was fuel pump..After new fuel pump installed all has been good

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/20 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BigDogBS wrote:

I agree on failing fuel pump.I had a Chevy do the same.Would not start with ether due to not building fuel pressure in the fuel rail..It died on road two times before finally figured it was fuel pump..After new fuel pump installed all has been good

x3 (or x4)

ernie1

Sacramento,California,USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/21/20 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For your Ford truck there is an inertia fuel shutoff switch located in the passenger footwell on the right side kick panel that will shutoff the fuel to the fuel pump in case of an accident or sometimes a bump in the road. But if it is triggered, you have to manually reset it by pressing a button and not waiting awhile like you have been doing. Maybe not your problem but I just thought I'd throw it out there for your info.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/20 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

Ford has a box that plugs into the OBD port on your vehicle. It sits on the floor and records everything the ECU sees and does. When you have the issue, you push the button on the box and it locks in the previous 10 minutes worth of data. My BIL is a Ford service manager.. That is what they use for intermittent problems.

We are talking about a 17 yr old vehicle with 17 yr old "technology".

2003 that is actually OBD1 with OBD2 port connection, in essence it is a "hybrid", OBD2 readers can connect and they can read codes, however with the OBD1 system it is connected to has very little diagnostic information that is monitored and reported.

As long as there is no CEL or MIL light, there is no "codes" stored and most likely no "pending" codes since OBD1 has a lot less sensors to report on. Even "live" Data is pretty sparse on vehicles of this age making trouble shooting a lot harder.

Even on OBD2 vehicles you should NEVER fully rely on the codes or live data and just randomly throw parts at it..

As far as a local Ford dealer trouble shooting a 17 yr old vehicle, yeah from my experience plan on spending north of $4K and multiple trips and lots of parts thrown at it AND STILL NOT FIXED!!!.. That comes from experience with a 2006 5.4 which does have full OBD2!

I ended up fixing the original problem (not the same as the OP) with a CAN OF THROTTLE BODY CLEANER AND A RAG! Got tired of NPF (No Problem found) and $4K poorer I did an internet search of the syptoms and found out the throttle body was gummed up.. In the mean time the dealer damaged a cat converter, changed fuel pump, changed plugs and darn near cost me thousands more when I discovered a LOOSE PLUG!!!

My advise to the OP, IF you love and are attached to your truck, you will want to fix it yourself, otherwise I will recommend saving your sanity and a lot of money and buy a NEW truck.. The 6.2 V8 gas engines are awesome and from what I hear, the new 7.3 gas is even better..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> V10 Eng, desperate in need of help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.